So many weapons! What to do with Austin?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Since you brought this up ...Can you give me just 1 example of TA demostrating Leadership or Character talents ?

why tell fellow Ram fans GTFOHo_O

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=GTFOH

Exactly what has TA done to get a wrap as lacking leadership or character?
The guy is fearless on the field. Throwing his body into blocks downfield, running tough up the middle - thats a kind of character, a type of leadership.

Its not just here. There is a group of Rams fans that just want Tavon gone. If they think it helps their agenda by questioning his commitment, they will latch on to the most inconsequential nonsense as proof of a character flaw.

The guy is what he is. He isnt a distraction or a malcontent or a thug. He takes his job seriously and lays it all out on the line.
Maybe his skillset isnt what some want, but why question his character???

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's just week 2 now, McVay just got his feet wet! Let's see how the season plays-out before we start Talking -Cut - Trade - re-structure his contract!
It's a New Era, The Sun has just started to rise in the West!

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I was very disappointed in Tavon when he miffed that clean punt. I really like Tavon, but I couldn't help but notice how the offense was sustaining drives and everyone else was making catches. Barring injury, I see him as a reserve WR and they will have a few packages a game on sweeps and reverses to test the D. The rest of the WR core is so much better this year compared to last. Haven't even gotten Reynolds going yet!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Ive said my piece about Tavon probably too many times this offseason. Its only game one, but so far many of my arguments have been validated.

I will say this using Tavon as decoy in some of deep play action game works very well. Tavon coming around on the reverse and motions gives the DBs and LBs an extra element to think about in addition to the threat of Gurley running opening up things down field. That's great and useful this year and since he's here might as well incorporate him in the game plan even if it's just a tiny bit.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I was very disappointed in Tavon when he miffed that clean punt. I really like Tavon, but I couldn't help but notice how the offense was sustaining drives and everyone else was making catches. Barring injury, I see him as a reserve WR and they will have a few packages a game on sweeps and reverses to test the D. The rest of the WR core is so much better this year compared to last. Haven't even gotten Reynolds going yet!

He was also utilized in extending plays and sustaining drives in a (very) limited snap count.

He had 18 total yards, not impressive as a whole, but considering he only played 7 times it's what to be expected. Plus, Jared Goff was spreading the ball around like crazy, which is a big welcome. Tavon will have his days.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Looking at those snap counts, we have too many good receivers competing for playing time. Either someone is going to have a down year because they can't get the ball enough, or Goff and McVay are going to really spread the ball around and up the passing game. Can you imagine Watkins, Woods, and Austin having career years while Kupp makes a run at rookie of the year? It's possible and scary. This offense could be a monster!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And yet again, Tavon finishes another game averaging better than 5 yards a carry....

MachS

Hall of Fame
Guys take the salary out of it... everything we've seen so far in his career, does he seem like a McVay type of WR?

-Inconsistent hands to say the least
-short and has trouble winning on the outside
-Inconsistent route runner

Now in open space with the ball in his hands he's one of the most special players I've ever seen. But where does he fit? If we can trade him this year I'm leaning towards doing it.

I think Josh Reynolds is someone we should be trying to develop before trying to "salvage" another bad pick from the Fisher era.

JMO.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Tavon Austin Career Rushing Stats

Attempts: 127
Yards: 979
AVERAGE: 7.7
Touchdowns: 8

....he is useless....

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He still drives me crazy when he runs sideways

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Id hold on to Tavon to give Goff and the rest of the offense another weapon atleast for this year while Goff continues to grow. Then cut/trade Tavon in the off season...

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Believe me McVay will find a way to use Austin. He is another weapon or as I believe Marks put it
"another arrow for the quiver".

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
At least see what they could get for him. If it is as high as a second or third round pick they should seriously consider trading him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Since you brought this up ...Can you give me just 1 example of TA demonstrating Leadership or Character talents ?

Then I would ask you why tell your fellow Ram fans GTFOHo_O I spent most of my adult life hoping to have detailed & even differing discussions with fellow Ram fans. Keeps all of us on our toes.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=GTFOH

Yeah it's pretty funny. There's just certain players that make fans freak out if you question anything about them.

With Tavon it's a FACT that none of the receivers showed up last year with the new QB on an off day to go over stuff and help him be ready. That was an event I refuse to forgive either him or Kenny Britt for, as both were the veteran wideouts in that room at that time. If he was such a team player, not to mention the team's ELITE wideout as proven by his big paycheck, why could he not be a good enough teammate and leader to tell those wideouts "hey dudes we gotta show up." Instead he was willing to leave the QB that the organization gave up so much for hanging, when in fact the organization had shown him more love than he deserved with that contract. So people keep saying "forget the contract" and all that, but it does factor in and it does matter from that perspective.

Now I've seen a lot of guys sweep that event under the rug too. But THAT is the difference between last year's team and this year's team. And it is another way that Tavon doesn't fit outside of his poor route running and bad hands.

Fact is I'm still waiting for the guy to show a week to week ability to impact things positively. I'm dying to see it. But the further we go the more and more I, to borrow @StealYoGurley's words, am validated. And it's not like I want to be, I'd effin love to be wrong about him but it's like watching the damn titanic where the writing is on the wall and you know how it's going to end even while everyone is ignoring it.

JRobinson

MiLB
TBH. I don't think Tavon fits what we do on offense now. We arnt exactly "west coast" anymore and that's his best fit as far as skill set IMO. And as others have mentioned, he ain't worth near the cash he got (I'm believing that was a Fisher move). So, personally, I'm not writing him off necessarily, but I'm past Tavon (the fumble didn't help).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sometimes I think it would be IMMENSELY better if fans had no clue what players made.
Tavon will be fine. And if he's not, then he'll be gone.
Let life work itself out and just enjoy what he does.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
..Yeah it's pretty funny. There's just certain players that make fans freak out if you question anything about them.

With Tavon it's a FACT that none of the receivers showed up last year with the new QB on an off day to go over stuff and help him be ready. That was an event I refuse to forgive either him or Kenny Britt for, as both were the veteran wideouts in that room at that time. If he was such a team player, not to mention the team's ELITE wideout as proven by his big paycheck, why could he not be a good enough teammate and leader to tell those wideouts "hey dudes we gotta show up." Instead he was willing to leave the QB that the organization gave up so much for hanging, when in fact the organization had shown him more love than he deserved with that contract. So people keep saying "forget the contract" and all that, but it does factor in and it does matter from that perspective.

Now I've seen a lot of guys sweep that event under the rug too. But THAT is the difference between last year's team and this year's team. And it is another way that Tavon doesn't fit outside of his poor route running and bad hands.
We dont know why Tavon wasnt there to greet the new QB. You assume that it was an example of a lack of commitment or a personal slight or something. Unless you know more about that situation than I do, I think its a bit of a stretch....

Fact is I'm still waiting for the guy to show a week to week ability to impact things positively. I'm dying to see it.

Dying to to re-watch 2015? :sneaky:
I dont reccomend it. The offense was mostly terrible...