So many weapons! What to do with Austin?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's never a bad thing when there's "too many weapons". I cannot believe some people will continuously ride the trade Tavon train, over some off-field issue.

WRs, RBs, TEs. Defenders won't be able to cover everyone. Why can't people just be happy with that...

You think Green Bay fans try to make this into a problem? They have...

Randall Cobb
Ty Montgemory
Richard Rodgers
Davante Adams
Martellus Bennett
Richard Rodgers
Lance Kendricks

They have roles for all these players, and the Rams look like they are heading in this direction. Spread the ball!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sammy Watkins was a similar draft pick. He's in there after only a short time with this offense. Something to consider...
Yeah, no excuses....I feel ya....Sammy may be special...and Tavon may be "special"...LOLOLOL

I wouldn't doubt Tavon's role expands as the weeks progress. But....with Kupp in the slot, where do you use him?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would entertain trading Austin to Chicago, seems like a perfect fit, but I still have high hopes for Austin this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lol.
Keep in mind, Austin missed all of pre season so he's got to catch up too.

I am so past giving Tavon the benefit of the doubt. First off this offense favors hands and route running, neither of which he does well. Secondly we saw him used in exactly the same way, as a BS gadget guy who is not even special in that role. Assuming that he is behind because he missed time is giving him more credit that he hasn't earned IMO. More likely is that McVay took a look at him in OTAs and realized he's going to struggle to learn the offense and not be dependable as a go-to option.

I think Tavon will be used on jet sweeps/screens/handoffs for the whole year.

Doubt we throw to him much downfield, if at all.

I agree with this. Barring them finding a trade partner to recoup some value with him, that's exactly what he'll do. But when the chips are down and we need a play guess who they'll dial up? That's right: Watkins, Kupp, Everett, Woods. Tavon is an afterthought in that equation and that's why they need to move him.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'd entertain trade offers, but I wouldn't actively shop him. What is done is done, keep him on the roster and use him when necessary. Sunk cost as far as I'm concerned. Will he be back next year? Probably not, but unless someone offers good trade value, keep him. It's a long season, you never know who can catch the injury bug.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would entertain trading Austin to Chicago, seems like a perfect fit, but I still have high hopes for Austin this year.

Watch the highlights of Cohen below. Dude brings a lot of what Tavon does but better hands and strength/ability to break tackles. Doubt they'd be interested tbh.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He won't be on the roster for $15 million next year. His cap hit will be $8 million.

That being said - give him a little time to actually learn the new system. Keep in mind that he's a player that can score from anywhere on the field - one slight mess up by the other team, and he goes all the way. With the old Rams teams could afford to cover him - but there are too many weapons. He will be getting his TDs this year.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
IMG_7883.PNG
You guys blow Tavons contract waaaaaaay out of proportion. Kinda gives you an idea who pays attention to facts and who goes by hearsay and band wagon ideas. His contract isnt as horrible as you make it out to be. Unless we trade him he's staying here this season and next.
Calm your tits.

Attachments

• IMG_7883.PNG
    IMG_7883.PNG
    198.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am so past giving Tavon the benefit of the doubt
That's pretty apparent. Brand new system, he missed all of pre-season and played 7 snaps. Of course they are working him in, giving him plays he's comfortable with.
I'm gonna give him at least 2-3 more games before I come to any conclusions

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's pretty apparent. Brand new system, he missed all of pre-season and played 7 snaps. Of course they are working him in, giving him plays he's comfortable with.
I'm gonna give him at least 2-3 more games before I come to any conclusions

And that's a fair take.

For me though, this is a guy who has been given the benefit of the doubt but has had enough time in this league to develop. He's a guy who always had rumors around him learning/picking up the offensive schemes. He's a guy who was supposed to be a leader but failed to demonstrate that leadership (along with Britt) by not showing up on an off day with the new QB who wanted help to ensure he was ready when he got the job. He's a guy with poor hands that McVay isn't going to be able to fix. And he's a crappy route runner who even though he's been paid has yet to demonstrate by example that he can step up.

As I've mentioned before if they don't move him it's because they can't find a trade partner. IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And that's a fair take.

For me though, this is a guy who has been given the benefit of the doubt but has had enough time in this league to develop. He's a guy who always had rumors around him learning/picking up the offensive schemes. He's a guy who was supposed to be a leader but failed to demonstrate that leadership (along with Britt) by not showing up on an off day with the new QB who wanted help to ensure he was ready when he got the job. He's a guy with poor hands that McVay isn't going to be able to fix. And he's a crappy route runner who even though he's been paid has yet to demonstrate by example that he can step up.

As I've mentioned before if they don't move him it's because they can't find a trade partner. IMO.
You make great points, I just have a hard time judging any player based on what they showed in the Fisher regime. At least with Shotty, TA had that monster game against the Colts.
Based on $$ numbers, I never saw where trading TA was in the Rams benefit. So for me, if it isnt worth cap wise, then lets see what he's got.
What I find funny is all the (deserved) talk about Goff and Kupp, Watkins slipped right under the radar. He was a beast early and often. Cant wait to see him get his fair share of targets

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Why do some people pretend Austin has poor character or lacks leadership?

Stop it. You are wearing biased glasses. If you dont like little fast gadget guys, thats fine. You think his contract sucks? Fine. His hands? ok.

His character? Leadership?? gtfoh

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I like TA, but is rather use the money to pay Tru next season.

If there were any questions how Try would fit in Wades D, they were answered yesterday. Try was excellent.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Why do some people pretend Austin has poor character or lacks leadership?

Stop it. You are wearing biased glasses. If you dont like little fast gadget guys, thats fine. You think his contract sucks? Fine. His hands? ok.

His character? Leadership?? gtfoh

Since you brought this up ...Can you give me just 1 example of TA demonstrating Leadership or Character talents ?

Then I would ask you why tell your fellow Ram fans GTFOHo_O I spent most of my adult life hoping to have detailed & even differing discussions with fellow Ram fans. Keeps all of us on our toes.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=GTFOH

Last edited: