So, just how much production are the Rams gonna derive from this rookie class?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I’m fully aware that it’s much too early for this conversation. But what else is there to talk about in this Covid offseason without even preseason games? Besides, it could be fun.

They say that any draft that yields 3 starters is a great draft. On a team with a pretty loaded roster 3 new starters is a tremendous draft.

Well, I’m not seeing 3 new starters from this rookie class by opening day for the Rams. Not by opening day, anyway, but by midseason? Maybe 4 new starters are possible plus a few other significant contributors that are not actual starters.

Here’s what my crystal ball is telling me.

Akers and a kicker will be our only rookie new opening day starters. And the kicker might be considered a ‘starter’ as a technicality.

By midseason, though, I see the rookie ‘starters’ expanding.

Darrell Lewis
Van Jefferson (this kid might actually beat out Reynolds by opening day) Now we’re up to 4 new starters.

By midseason, if not much before, I foresee both Burgess and Fuller as significant contributors in various Staley schemes. Burgess has a decent shot as opening day nickel CB.

So, if we take a couple of steps back for better perspective on this draft, I’m thinking that Snead/McVay really nailed this draft, especially at the top. Not an easy thing to do with a loaded roster such as the Rams enjoy.

I LOVE this draft! Hot Damn!

fearsomefour

Legend
A new RB....although I doubt Cam starts week 1.
A starting WR.
A receiving TE.
A replacement at S if Johnson leaves after this year.
At the least LB depth.

fearsomefour

Legend
What do you think about the tight end? Special teams only?
I think we keep four this year.
Mundt has his role....that is if McVay decides he still cares about blocking.
Truth is both Higbee and Everett improved their blocking greatly.
Maybe Mundt is redundant in that case and the rookie is kept over Mundt as a receiving TE and eventual replacement for one of the two established guys.

Ram65

Legend
There is a shift to more and more sub-packages in today's NFl. This can taint the count of starters in a draft and even the need for a draft pick to become a starter altogether at least early in his career. It's early to project but, as you stated @Rams43 not much else to discuss with no preseason games.

Akers-looks to be a starter at some point getting the bulk of the carries sometime in the season.

Right now Farr and MJD have M Brown getting the starting job early on. I was a little surprised by this but, maybe it makes sense to take some early pressure off Akers. We know Brown knows the offense and will be ready game one. We don't know how long he will stay healthy. Hopefully, Henderson is ready to go at the start of the season. The Rams can let Akers settle in with splitting carries between all three backs early on.

Jefferson-The more information we get from camp the more it seems possible Jefferson becomes the third WR to start the season behind Woods and Kupp. Rams could have him split some reps with Reynolds to help keep him fresh for later in the year.

Lewis-The reports and Staley's hype for Lewis have me believing he will get more and more playing time as the season moves on. Initially, I thought rotating in as a pass rush but, now I see him challenging for more regular playing time earlier in the season.

Burgess-We haven't gotten a lot of information in camp except he has made a few plays. He will get some PT we just don't know exactly where and how much. He will more than likely be a starter next year.

Hopkins-On the roster but, used on STs. Could see some PT if other TEs get injured. Could become 2nd TE next year.

Fuller-Getting the high star reviews. PT is still unknown but, he will be on STs.

Johnston-Still rehabbing. Wait and see. He has a chance to get PT when healthy.

Anchrum-Developmental

The Kickers-One will be a starter.

We don't know how the season will play out. It looks like the Rams will have four contributing players and a starting kicker at the beginning of the year. Akers and Jefferson will become starters at some time in the season. Lewis and Burgess will be contributors early on and starters next year. Both have a chance to get 40-50 percent of snaps this year. Lewis could get even more. It's possible Fuller and Burgess are in a fight for PT. All in all, over the next two years most of this year's freshman class will be getting significant PT.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Akers
Jefferson
Burgess
Lewis

All four IMO will be contributors in year one - Jefferson probably less so since we're loaded at WR.

Hopkins could be the best player from this draft class and we're simply not going to know until next year because we are even more loaded at TE.

Fuller has gotten rave reviews but as an avid OSU fan, I'd ask that we all pump the brakes on that - special teams and hopefully solid backup next year should be the expectation.

The kicker will be cut. Johnston IMO will be cut, but we'll see. Anchrum is 50/50.

Those first six picks though were intentional - with an eye on the four above stepping into starting roles next season, and Hopkins being the primary backup TE and Fuller the primary backup S.

I would expect Burgess and Lewis to be rotated in at a decent rate. Jefferson less so and Akers to become the starting RB at some point, if not week one.

Akers should come close to 1000-1200 total yards and 8 TDs
Jefferson I'll guess at 300 yards and 3 TDs - I don't see him getting more time than Reynolds
Burgess I'll say 50 tackles, 2 INTs (I think he plays a lot in sub packages)
Lewis - 5 sacks

Ram65

Legend
Jefferson I'll guess at 300 yards and 3 TDs - I don't see him getting more time than Reynolds

Nice post overall but, Jefferson is already getting reps with the ones. He got two TD yesterday against Ramsey.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice post overall but, Jefferson is already getting reps with the ones. He got two TD yesterday against Ramsey.

Come real live game action, he's at best the fifth option in the offense behind Woods/Kupp/Higbee/Everett and at worse the 7th option behind them, Reynolds and Akers out of the backfield. I think he steps into a larger role next year but for this year, 300 yards feels right to me. We'll see though.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Come real live game action, he's at best the fifth option in the offense behind Woods/Kupp/Higbee/Everett and at worse the 7th option behind them, Reynolds and Akers out of the backfield. I think he steps into a larger role next year but for this year, 300 yards feels right to me. We'll see though.

Boo to you realists!:biggrin:

Kupp had over 800 in 2017--I would think Van is primed to replicate a lot of that if it weren't for our OL/running game woes.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
There is a shift to more and more sub-packages in today's NFl. This can taint the count of starters in a draft and even the need for a draft pick to become a starter altogether at least early in his career. It's early to project but, as you stated @Rams43 not much else to discuss with no preseason games.

Akers-looks to be a starter at some point getting the bulk of the carries sometime in the season.

Right now Farr and MJD have M Brown getting the starting job early on. I was a little surprised by this but, maybe it makes sense to take some early pressure off Akers. We know Brown knows the offense and will be ready game one. We don't know how long he will stay healthy. Hopefully, Henderson is ready to go at the start of the season. The Rams can let Akers settle in with splitting carries between all three backs early on.

Jefferson-The more information we get from camp the more it seems possible Jefferson becomes the third WR to start the season behind Woods and Kupp. Rams could have him split some reps with Reynolds to help keep him fresh for later in the year.

Lewis-The reports and Staley's hype for Lewis have me believing he will get more and more playing time as the season moves on. Initially, I thought rotating in as a pass rush but, now I see him challenging for more regular playing time earlier in the season.

Burgess-We haven't gotten a lot of information in camp except he has made a few plays. He will get some PT we just don't know exactly where and how much. He will more than likely be a starter next year.

Hopkins-On the roster but, used on STs. Could see some PT if other TEs get injured. Could become 2nd TE next year.

Fuller-Getting the high star reviews. PT is still unknown but, he will be on STs.

Johnston-Still rehabbing. Wait and see. He has a chance to get PT when healthy.

Anchrum-Developmental

The Kickers-One will be a starter.

We don't know how the season will play out. It looks like the Rams will have four contributing players and a starting kicker at the beginning of the year. Akers and Jefferson will become starters at some time in the season. Lewis and Burgess will be contributors early on and starters next year. Both have a chance to get 40-50 percent of snaps this year. Lewis could get even more. It's possible Fuller and Burgess are in a fight for PT. All in all, over the next two years most of this year's freshman class will be getting significant PT.

With all due respect I disagree. I think Jefferson will be a serious option starting with the Dallas game. And certainly more so than Reynolds or Everett, who imo have never been entirely consistent. I expect McVay will put Jefferson in for a substantial number of plays because he will get open and catch the ball more reliably, especially on third down or in the red zone, than either of those guys.

Taking a step back, I'm not sure our running game, play action or o-line will be good enough to support a lot of deep throws down field right away. In the absence of Gurley and Cooks the offense will have to work harder to set up big plays. It would be nice if Akers and the running game can consistently gain significant yards right off the bat, but I don't think we can count on that. Also don't think we can count on the o-line on Day 1 to hold up in pass blocking if the plays take a long time to develop and the running game isn't setting up the pass. The o-line will need time to gell.

As a result I expect the Rams to start with a short and mid range, consistent high percentage passing game to set up longer throws and to keep moving the chains. Jefferson will excel at this, just as Kupp and Woods do. All three of them in the 11 should give Goff a good option on most plays without having to hold the ball forever. If the Rams can do that it will set up plays to the tight ends or JR, to the backs, or to any of the receivers downfield.

Imo the Rams' best WRs for the type of the passing game they may likely play are Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, and Higbee. But we will soon see what McVay (and O'Connell) come up with...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A game changing draft to me is more than three starters.

It’s more like two All Pros, and three or four other good players.

Or one HOf quality player with two very good starters and a two or more keepers but not necessarily stars.

There have been some even better drafts than I describe as being game changing drafts. Here are is a story on them

Here’s how I look at it. Directly addressing needs on a good team has a bigger impact and makes a class look better instantly, like the Bears in 1983. Filling the weak spots and catapulting the team into a Super Bowl contender will always be more impressive.

Drafting for future losses won’t look as impressive; for instance, if Terrell Burgess ends up being as good as JJ and then JJ departs, then difference is negligible and lowers the perception of the pick.

Overall there are fewer undiscovered finds these days, like the Cowboys had the luxury of picking when Jimmy Johnson took over, so it’s much more difficult imo to score a home in draft.

My thoughts on this Rams draft:

Akers - Won’t wow because of poor Oline play. Could become a very good Rb if the Rams ever upgrade the line. He will get beat up making his own holes at this level.

Van Jefferson - becomes a Robert Woods to Torre Holy threat. Borderline HOF, or just a very good receiver.

Terrell Lewis - this is a tough one. His track record with injuries is not good. At his best maybe he’s a very good old, who the Rams will have to fight to keep come free agency. At worst too injured you stay on the field.

Terrell Burgess - JJ type of good safety. Not a HoF impact but very good and eventually coveted by teams in FA

Bryce Hopkins - not a full time starter.

Jordan Fuller - quality backup

Clay Johnston - cut

Sam Sloman cut

Tremayne Anchrum - backup for a few years

So one very good player in Jefferson, two or possibly three good players in Akers, Lewis, Burgess. The rest likely have little to no impact.

So a good but not great class.