So is there a chance Barron gets moved?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Will Rams trade Barron?

• Yes

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 47 83.9%

• Total voters

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've asked this in other threads and i'll ask again, ... how many 3-4 base defenses have over $19.mil tied up with their two starting ILB'ers ? Ogletree will be working on his contract year, this being his 5'th year option, so his CAP cost is likely to be significantly higher in 2018. Barron is already costing $11.mil in CAP this season. Do you guys feel we are going to get $19.mil worth of production from 2 ILB's ? The past has shown that the Rams have not been consistently good defending the rush, expectations that our interior LB'ers who are better coverage guys than run blockers eludes me as to how this particular fault will be corrected. Honestly, if i'm going to spend that kind of money on LB'ers, i'd prefer it go to the outside edge defenders capable of getting after the QB. Currently we have only one OLB in Quinn, we need a minimum of two more, a starter at LOLB and at least one in reserve. I think we'd be a better team with a more balanced approach with how we allocate our CAP dollars, and we appear pretty lopsided with so much funding in an area which doesn't provide elite production. jmo.

Care to expand on your 'chill' rating @JackDRams ?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Care to expand on your 'chill' rating @JackDRams ?

You seem to be getting all worked up based on money allocation. Also, you don't think Barron like @flv said above me, would be better suited to OLB in this scheme? He can more than adequately rush the passer, especially with Wade Phillips' system. I wouldn't move a talented player because of how much we have invested at linebacker. If we move him for a better LB for our system, then ok. But money shouldn't be the determining factor when discussing talented players. I believe Barron is gonna be a monster for Phillips. We have the cap space to keep him.

Ps. I don't think of the "chill" button as an insult or "tone it down" type of message. I think of it as "relax bro, it's all good". So if you're upset, my apologies.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You seem to be getting all worked up based on money allocation. Also, you don't think Barron like @flv said above me, would be better suited to OLB in this scheme? He can more than adequately rush the passer, especially with Wade Phillips' system. I wouldn't move a talented player because of how much we have invested at linebacker. If we move him for a better LB for our system, then ok. But money shouldn't be the determining factor when discussing talented players. I believe Barron is gonna be a monster for Phillips. We have the cap space to keep him.

Ps. I don't think of the "chill" button as an insult or "tone it down" type of message. I think of it as "relax bro, it's all good". So if you're upset, my apologies.

Just seeking clarification, not 'all worked up'. And I feel Barron would fare far worse as an OLB in a 3-4 defense than at ILB, although I suspect he will still suffer as a rush defender inside. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I think Barron would be crushed working at LOLB where he'd be regularly taking on TE's, RT's & OG's. Most 3-4 OLB's weigh in at the 250lb. to 260lb. range, many of which can often play 4-3 DE's in a different scheme.

Last edited:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
So why do people choose Mo over Barron @ safety?. Just a curious question.

Because he should be moved to safety... Disagree if you want but its not me saying this its what they seen him do during his collegiate career. They said he would be a pro bowl safety. Makes sense he is dynamic and has played enough different spots to recognize from afar. Mark Barron should be in the back...

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
So why do people choose Mo over Barron @ safety?. Just a curious question.

Many thought Barron was a 1'st round bust as a SS for Tampa Bay. 'The Bucs, which used the seventh pick of the 2012 draft on Barron, were not satisfied with his back-half coverage skills and traded him to the Rams at the late October 2014 deadline for fourth- and sixth-round choices. Barron was effective playing near the line on passing downs when weakside linebacker Ogletree suffered a broken ankle in Game 4. Coach Jeff Fisher installed Barron as the starting WLB and never looked back'. Mo, as we've seen from his FS side, has excellent 'back-half' coverage skills, and he can be a thumper playing closer to the line. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your right. He is small for any LB position. Where does Buchanan play, #20, for the Cardinals? Inside or outside? I thought he was outside.
He's inside. Barron absolutely can play inside in this defense.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think he stays but I just can't see him at ILB could he play every down at OLB? I'd rather draft someone to fill the ILB role and move him to SS. He could still cover TEs and be a strong run support guy from there and we can have a young stud to help AO in the middle of the field.

Elijah Lee*, ILB, Kansas State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 228.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2017): 3-5.

Last edited:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Many thought Barron was a 1'st round bust as a SS for Tampa Bay. 'The Bucs, which used the seventh pick of the 2012 draft on Barron, wasn't satisfied with his back-half coverage and traded him to the Rams at the late October 2014 deadline for fourth- and sixth-round choices. Barron was effective playing near the line on passing downs when weakside linebacker Ogletree suffered a broken ankle in Game 4. Coach Jeff Fisher installed Barron as the starting WLB and never looked back'. Mo, as we've seen from his FS side, has excellent 'back-half' coverage skills, and he can be a thumper playing closer to the line. jmo.

He was a better prospect overall. He also has instinct, because he played WR, RB, LB. He can be a FS. Why? because under Wades defense Darian Stewart became a pro bowl FS in Denver. Barron is capable.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Many thought Barron was a 1'st round bust as a SS for Tampa Bay. 'The Bucs, which used the seventh pick of the 2012 draft on Barron, were not satisfied with his back-half coverage skills and traded him to the Rams at the late October 2014 deadline for fourth- and sixth-round choices. Barron was effective playing near the line on passing downs when weakside linebacker Ogletree suffered a broken ankle in Game 4. Coach Jeff Fisher installed Barron as the starting WLB and never looked back'. Mo, as we've seen from his FS side, has excellent 'back-half' coverage skills, and he can be a thumper playing closer to the line. jmo.

you almost had me convinced they would trade him until you said this? No he doesn't have coverage skills at all he is a in the box safety and can do what TJ did with no issues but can NOT cover anyone

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He was a better prospect overall. He also has instinct, because he played WR, RB, LB. He can be a FS. Why? because under Wades defense Darian Stewart became a pro bowl FS in Denver. Barron is capable.

I like Barron also. The only problem is whether he is $11.mil dollar capable as a Safety ? We know he's good as a box safety and a WLB, the question is if he's rangy enough in coverage as a SS or can he be an effective run blocker as a 3-4 ILB ? Many say yes, others have questions. jmo.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
you almost had me convinced they would trade him until you said this? No he doesn't have coverage skills at all he is a in the box safety and can do what TJ did with no issues but can NOT cover anyone

Haha i think i got the same signal overall. I thought it was moved as in traded.... hmmmm. Fml.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I like Barron also. The only problem is whether he is $11.mil dollar capable as a Safety ? We know he's good as a box safety and a WLB, the question is if he's rangy enough in coverage as a SS or can he be an effective run blocker as a 3-4 ILB ? Many say yes, others have questions. jmo.

If he can read the play before it manifests. He won't have rangy issues at all especially if he has those clairvoyant like skills on where to be if the ball is thrown deep.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Well, my answer to you is he graded higher than any other Ram in coverage last season with an 84.5 score offered by PFF. He seemed pretty effective as a FS, but I believe most would agree SS should be his best position. jmo.

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
Now that Pryor is gone, I don't want the Rams to move anyone.... time to sign a center and then look for a WR1 in the draft I suppose...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If he can read the play before it manifests. He won't have rangy issues at all especially if he has those clairvoyant like skills on where to be if the ball is thrown deep.
Well, that didn't 'manifest' in Tampa Bay, although he is a different player today.