So is there a chance Barron gets moved?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Will Rams trade Barron?

• Yes

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 47 83.9%

• Total voters

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still don't buy him being a fit at ILB. Not when the guy was directly responsible for multiple big plays against our defense last year in a much less run stopping centric role.

What do you guys think?

Ram65

Legend
I still don't buy him being a fit at ILB. Not when the guy was directly responsible for multiple big plays against our defense last year in a much less run stopping centric role.

What do you guys think?

I thought he regressed last year too. He lacked gap control and being undersized he lacked ability to neutralize blocks. Rams end up with 4 Million of his 11 Million cap hit as dead money. Next year it's 3M and 10M. Hopefully, he will play under more control and play run first. He seems more effective when he is attacking the LOS. He can't always do that but, it is a strength. He does add a nice dimension in the passing defense by being able to cover TEs

Last edited:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I thought he regressed last year too. He lacked gap control and being undersized he lacked ability to neutralize blocks Rams end up with 4 Million of his 11 Million cap hit as dead money. Next year it's 3M and 10M. Hopefully, he will play under more control and play run first. He seems more effective when he is attacking the LOS. He can't always do that but, it is a strength. He does add a nice dimension in the passing defense by being able to cover TEs

The entire team regressed in a way. Only thing that progressed was as always ST....

Barron though can be pretty dynamic he has size to play multiple positions of the field. Just need to use him properly. He stays atleast another year. Then we will see if he is worth keeping, but I am eager to see him play under this staff...

Last edited:

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill

What do you guys think?

IMO it had to do with AO last year just as much as Barron. AO was learning to play inside and was out of position a lot this season. like Rams65 said Barron is best when attacking the LOS not sitting back waiting for the play to develop. don't think they will get rid of him but could be wrong.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought he regressed last year too. He lacked gap control and being undersized he lacked ability to neutralize blocks Rams end up with 4 Million of his 11 Million cap hit as dead money. Next year it's 3M and 10M. Hopefully, he will play under more control and play run first. He seems more effective when he is attacking the LOS. He can't always do that but, it is a strength. He does add a nice dimension in the passing defense by being able to cover TEs

Some of the plays were strange too, where he took himself out of the play and it made me wonder whether it was purposeful, like he was avoiding contact or taking the easy way out. Just an enormous deviation from the guy we saw pre-big contract. And a bad sign IMO.

I just can't see the guy as a fit at ILB. And believe me I genuinely hope he proves me wrong.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I voted no but I sure hope he gets moved.

I would prefer an upgrade at ILB, and I would like Mo at SS

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Barron is a Swiss Army Knife and a great ST player. In Wade's 3-4, with his ability to disguise things, I gotta believe Barron will thrive. You need him to play SS? Done. You need him to cover the TE? Done. You need him to blitz? Done. He's quick and he's smart. I hope they keep him.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Possible Wade comes up with a 3 3 5 using him as a Safety in the Box type, Wade's version of the Big Nickel otherwise... I don't see him as a traditional LB or SS, he's a tweener better against the run and occasional pass, but a liability in the passing game unless used as a pass rusher...

I see more likely he'll be traded to the Browns for G. Williams to utilize

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I trust Wade to make the right decisions regarding Barron.

Myself, I feel strongly both ways. Lol.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I also believe Barron will get his shot to help this Rams version of Defense this year in coverage first and of course Wade will use him as a secret role player occasionally. I do not see Barron as an ILB on this defense. He is not big enough or bring what those spots need . I do love him covering a tight end as AO can't cover anything. Not sure it's in his DNA. Sorry its JMO. Actually curious to see how AO does this year PERIOD. So athletic but he has so much to learn and needs to be more of a leader. Hope he stays healthy and Wade can find the best spot for him in this 3-4. Go RAMS.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's quick and he's smart.

I don't consider him to be a smart player PA. He struggled in a Cover 2 with Lovie.

Interestingly enough in his best season for us two years ago he was told to freelance for the most part by Williams, who put very little constraints on him. So I'd say he's got great instincts near the LOS.

And this is what worries me. Those instincts were non-existent last season and now he's going to be in a role where he is a big factor in stuffing the run. My hope if they keep him is he moves to SS and Mo plays FS.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Some of the plays were strange too, where he took himself out of the play and it made me wonder whether it was purposeful, like he was avoiding contact or taking the easy way out. Just an enormous deviation from the guy we saw pre-big contract. And a bad sign IMO.

I just can't see the guy as a fit at ILB. And believe me I genuinely hope he proves me wrong.

I keep going back to this article.
http://www.foxsports.com/west/story...nald-flying-through-offseason-workouts-030817

Here is the ILBers in Denver
This defense puts a greater onus on the two inside linebackers to step up and take on a guard, and also stuff the run and fall back in coverage when needed. Phillips has said his inside linebacker corps this year is among the deepest he has had, but the return to full health of starters Brandon Marshall and Danny Trevathan from injuries a season ago is crucial.

“Danny and I, we’re naturals together,” Marshall said. “Whenever we’re at practice, we’re able to feed off each other. He knows the checks, I know the checks.”..............................

These guys are big but, IIRC they flow to the ball and can hit. The weight 238Lbs for Marshal and 231Lbs for Travathan.

Tree is more than ok. He fits at over 240Lbs and long arms. He likes to hit too. Barron is 213 Lbs so maybe he needs to bulk up. I thought he was closer to 220. I don't know how much weight he can add and keep his quickness. I got to think Wade will motivate him we see that fire he showed in 2015. It has to be a question mark this season.
View: http://www.therams.com/team/roster/Mark-Barron/d2959a48-db37-4525-ba33-7834256282d7

Last edited:

A55VA6

Legend
I think we'll probably hold on to him. If not at LB, move him to safety. I just feel like he can do a lot of different things and can help the defense.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've asked this in other threads and i'll ask again, ... how many 3-4 base defenses have over $19.mil tied up with their two starting ILB'ers ? Ogletree will be working on his contract year, this being his 5'th year option, so his CAP cost is likely to be significantly higher in 2018. Barron is already costing $11.mil in CAP this season. Do you guys feel we are going to get $19.mil worth of production from 2 ILB's ? The past has shown that the Rams have not been consistently good defending the rush, expectations that our interior LB'ers who are better coverage guys than run blockers eludes me as to how this particular fault will be corrected. Honestly, if i'm going to spend that kind of money on LB'ers, i'd prefer it go to the outside edge defenders capable of getting after the QB. Currently we have only one OLB in Quinn, we need a minimum of two more, a starter at LOLB and at least one in reserve. I think we'd be a better team with a more balanced approach with how we allocate our CAP dollars, and we appear pretty lopsided with so much funding in an area which doesn't provide elite production. jmo.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
I think the run defense will continue to be suspect/meh if the Rams have AO/Barron as our starting ILBs. Ogletree is better in coverage i think you need a better run defender next to him.

TexasRam

Legend
I think you can find a guy in the late rounds that can do the same things Barron can. He's expendable.

He also wont help as a deep cover safety. So I think it's a no brainer to move him.