So, does pre season mean anything?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Fans base a lot of pre season on what they expect the regular season to be like. What your defense looks like, who looks like a breakout candidate, how healthy your Oline is, all these things come through the mind of a fan. Here are some things I noticed this pre season:

1. Our run defense was very shaky.
2. We weren't able to pressure the QB(specifically, Rodgers)
3. Brian Quick looked like a stud
4. We had great depth at running back

That's just from what I remember without re watching the games. It's seems like a lot of that, if not all turned out to be true. So, do you think pre season means more then we think?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Good observation. My theory on preseason play is that if your team stinks in a certain area and continues to do so by games 3 and 4, there's a good chance that will continue on during the regular season. A team just can't flick a switch once the season begins and expect everything to work perfectly. That said, the Rams are notorious for their slow starts and then pick up steam as the season goes on.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good observation. My theory on preseason play is that if your team stinks in a certain area and continues to do so by games 3 and 4, there's a good chance that will continue on during the regular season. A team just can't flick a switch once the season begins and expect everything to work perfectly. That said, the Rams are notorious for their slow starts and then pick up steam as the season goes on.

Yeah I agree. I hate the slow starts. They're so frustrating. It happens every year too. I don't get it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I agree if the first string isn't getting it done in limited time on the field during the pre season it's not likely to work itself out week one!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Added to all of this has to be the Injury factor,(Bradford and Long) and having Bailey out for the first 4 weeks!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
A weakness is a weakness no matter. So is a strength.
With as always the youngest team in the league they need to play the preseason as they would a regular season game. Game plan it, give starters more work and expect reg. season performance from the young players.
Those games might not count in the standings but priceless for getting the younger players up to speed.
Vanilla is for veteran teams.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A weakness is a weakness no matter. So is a strength.
With as always the youngest team in the league they need to play the preseason as they would a regular season game. Game plan it, give starters more work and expect reg. season performance from the young players.
Those games might not count in the standings but priceless for getting the younger players up to speed.
Vanilla is for veteran teams.

Totally agree. The Rams should have been world beaters in pre season. I thought that was one huge mistake by this coaching staff. Too many young guys to try and play vanilla.

Irish

Starter
The preseason format is not working when most teams aren't actually up to speed until week 3. I personally feel like they should do joint training camps with 1 or 2 other teams, play scrimmages and simulate live game situations all camp, and maybe play 2 preseason games (that are NOT required for season ticket holders). Honestly, the NFL really hobbled itself when they gave in to NFLPA demands for easier training camps, because the on field product that matters (weeks 1-17) really suffers from lack of preparation.

It shouldn't take 4 televised "games" of guys who have no business being on an NFL roster running around, committing penalties, and making mistakes in front of stadiums that aren't even half full to evaluate the team. The system sucks and is broken.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Its playing vanilla defense and then expecting them to be at the top of their game when the season starts. I don't buy all the they don't want to give anything away excuse if you play them like a real game,but not as many minutes we would not be starting slow every year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We seem to do better as Fisher lets guys sink or swim, and if they sink, he takes on more responsibility.

Irish

Starter
Its playing vanilla defense and then expecting them to be at the top of their game when the season starts. I don't buy all the they don't want to give anything away excuse if you play them like a real game,but not as many minutes we would not be starting slow every year.
Yeah, its bogus.

If that were the case, by week 8 every team would just be trading field goals because all 32 teams would have the book on their competition. At a certain point it comes down to player vs player, hat on hat, and execution. Fisher and the like use the "vanilla" mantra to write off poor performance and undisciplined play. It would seem that, the Seattle game not withstanding, the team itself is more poor performance and undisciplined play than "vanilla".

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Yeah, its bogus.

If that were the case, by week 8 every team would just be trading field goals because all 32 teams would have the book on their competition. At a certain point it comes down to player vs player, hat on hat, and execution. Fisher and the like use the "vanilla" mantra to write off poor performance and undisciplined play. It would seem that, the Seattle game not withstanding, the team itself is more poor performance and undisciplined play than "vanilla".
I still think if they run some schemes and blitzes that they'll be using during the year against another NFL offense not just your own in practice they will be better prepared.They're basically running their plays for the first time against real competition in the first three or four games.