so after game 1, who starts at qb next week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

drpugilist

assuming hill is ready of course.

i thought hill did a fine job yesterday. i was at the game so i didnt have the benefit of rewinding or re watching plays other than what was shown on the screens in the dome. sure he threw an interception but thats going to happen occasionally when trying to get the ball down the field, which i am a big fan of. he seemed to be able to move when forced out of the pocket and generally seemed to play well imo.

also, ill add that when davis came in, i was already discouraged by several instances by our team but he didnt do much for me while on the field.

anyway, id much rather have hill in there than davis. what say you?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Hill.

Davis has shown nothing outside of preseason to suggest that he'll ever be able to handle defensive pressure when the games actually matter. After Keenum has a chance to familiarize himself with the offense, Davis will be behind him on the depth chart.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Hill without question. He played very well take away the interception and he had the offense moving pretty much with ease. I just can't get over the drive killing penalties.

Stlram1489

UDFA
Hmm. Hill 8 for 13 with an interception for 81 yards. 0 points in one half. He is 35 years old. Davis 16 for 23 with a pick and 192 yards. 6 points in a half. I just don't see it as black and white as most of you do. That was Austin's first regular season game. The fact is we don't know what we have in him yet. We know Hill is nothing better than a backup. Yeah, Davis took too many sacks, but the ones I saw were with only 3 or 4 rushing the qb and the line didn't slow them down at all. That's not something you audible to change the protection. If our line can't keep 3 or 4 from the quarterback in less than 3 seconds, it doesn't matter who is playing qb. Davis was on pace to throw for over 350 yards over a whole game. I think we should give him next week to see how he does.

drpugilist

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmm. Hill 8 for 13 with an interception for 81 yards. 0 points in one half. He is 35 years old. Davis 16 for 23 with a pick and 192 yards. 6 points in a half. I just don't see it as black and white as most of you do. That was Austin's first regular season game. The fact is we don't know what we have in him yet. We know Hill is nothing better than a backup. Yeah, Davis took too many sacks, but the one I saw were with only 3 or 4 rushing the qb and the line didn't slow them down at all. That's not something you audible to change the protection. If our line can't keep 3 or 4 from the quarterback in less than 3 seconds, it doesn't matter who is playing qb. Davis was on pace to throw for over 350 yards over a whole game. I think we should give him next week to see how he does.

he had to throw that many times we were down a thousand pts. as for moving the advantage goes to the older qb here too. as for changing plays at the line, again hill gets the nod. in fact i think yesterday was the first time ive seen plays changed at the los in the past two years. good job shaun hill.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Hill and it's not even a question, I feel.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Hmm. Hill 8 for 13 with an interception for 81 yards. 0 points in one half. He is 35 years old. Davis 16 for 23 with a pick and 192 yards. 6 points in a half. I just don't see it as black and white as most of you do. That was Austin's first regular season game. The fact is we don't know what we have in him yet. We know Hill is nothing better than a backup. Yeah, Davis took too many sacks, but the ones I saw were with only 3 or 4 rushing the qb and the line didn't slow them down at all. That's not something you audible to change the protection. If our line can't keep 3 or 4 from the quarterback in less than 3 seconds, it doesn't matter who is playing qb. Davis was on pace to throw for over 350 yards over a whole game. I think we should give him next week to see how he does.
I'd like to see if Hill can get the team on the right track before going into "next year mode"! JMO.

AZRamsFan93

assuming hill is ready of course.

i thought hill did a fine job yesterday. i was at the game so i didnt have the benefit of rewinding or re watching plays other than what was shown on the screens in the dome. sure he threw an interception but thats going to happen occasionally when trying to get the ball down the field, which i am a big fan of. he seemed to be able to move when forced out of the pocket and generally seemed to play well imo.

also, ill add that when davis came in, i was already discouraged by several instances by our team but he didnt do much for me while on the field.

anyway, id much rather have hill in there than davis. what say you?
Hill did a fine job in leading us to zero points and setting up the Vikings only first half TD. Davis was completely scared out there. I do not see a good option, unless Case Keenum can learn the offense really quickly.

I am not sure what the team was thinking when they decided to put all of their eggs in the basket of a QB coming off a torn ACL without a viable alternative. I have been an advocate of using one of our MANY high draft picks over the past 3 years to draft competition at the QB position. I think youthful talent behind Sam would have been good as insurance as well as serving to push Sam - every position should be a competition.

These kinds of decisions can doom a team to mediocrity for years to come. I sure hope not.

drpugilist

Hill did a fine job in leading us to zero points and setting up the Vikings only first half TD. Davis was completely scared out there. I do not see a good option, unless Case Keenum can learn the offense really quickly.

I am not sure what the team was thinking when they decided to put all of their eggs in the basket of a QB coming off a torn ACL without a viable alternative. I have been an advocate of using one of our MANY high draft picks over the past 3 years to draft competition at the QB position. I think youthful talent behind Sam would have been good as insurance as well as serving to push Sam - every position should be a competition.

These kinds of decisions can doom a team to mediocrity for years to come. I sure hope not.

this made me lol for real. true and funny at the same time

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Putting a rookie qb out there with the kind of protection we saw yesterday would be like what Sam has had to go through! We don't need that again!

AZRamsFan93

Putting a rookie qb out there with the kind of protection we saw yesterday would be like what Sam has had to go through! We don't need that again!
That is why I wanted to draft a young QB to learn behind Sam. Too late now.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

Hill didn't lead us to zero points, the freakin offensive penalties that Hill had nothing to do with is what led us to zero points in the first half. Look at his numbers. Outside of that pick he played well. In fact he had a rating of over 100 before the pick. Roll with Hill assuming he is healthy.

drpugilist

on another note how can we not get our first pick of the draft into the game at some point yesterday. most second overall pick linemen are starting for their team in the nfl right? i didnt think that we too are good for that scenario?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So you are basing your entire argument on the comparative stats? Different game situations, different results. Hill moved the ball, and made some very nice reads and some very good throws. His INT at the end of the half notwithstanding. That they didn't score any points in the first half was NOT on him. Penalties, and a lack of a running game had a lot more to do with it.

As far as the sacks Davis endured... He was the reason for most of them. He just doesn't understand where pressure is coming from, presnap or otherwise. He would slide in the pocket as the first sign of ANY pressure, and more often than not, he would step up right into a sack. There were times when he had plenty of time to get the ball out, but just doesn't have enough of a comfort level to know where to go with it.

Bottom line, he was a week away from the unemployment line, until Bradford got hurt. He is at best a 3rd string/Practice Squad level QB at this point. And he played like it.

drpugilist

great post coach o...thanks for the input.

AZRamsFan93

Hill didn't lead us to zero points, the freakin offensive penalties that Hill had nothing to do with is what led us to zero points in the first half. Look at his numbers. Outside of that pick he played well. In fact he had a rating of over 100 before the pick. Roll with Hill assuming he is healthy.
So Hill led the team to score some points? I missed that.

I didn't say that that Hill scored zero points all by himself. It is a team game. Hill is the team leader, voted captain, and he led the team for the first half. We had zero points. So, yes he led the team to zero points.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I hear the protection argument but half of Davis' yardage was against a prevent defense that was just making sure they tackled after the completion.
It's Hill without question for me.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

I didn't say that that Hill scored zero points all by himself. It is a team game. Hill is the team leader, voted captain, and he led the team for the first half. We had zero points. So, yes he led the team to zero points.

Refer to Coach O's post. Hill wasn't the problem, PERIOD.

cracengl

Rookie

I don't think it's quite that simple. You have several other things working. Penalties, Quick running his route on 3rd down a yard shy of the 1st, bad run blocking, a missed field goal, etc. It WAS bad. But it was a collective suck.