So About that Run D...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jdhommert

Rookie
So you want to spend our first pick which could be top 5 or 10...on a run stuffing DT?

What happens to Aaron Donald????

:/

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A.) our D doesnt scare anyone....even going back to last year
B.) brockers hasnt done a damn thing since being drafted
C.) our LBs will feed offof the D Line play, and if the DLine sucks, so will the LBs
D.) the 69 ers will def try to run over us
E.) read A

Our linebackers have not played well, and I'm not gonna hide behind the DL on that. The DL has also played crappy, but I think the front seven in general came into the season not ready. It's almost like under Fisher the first four games of the season the team is playing at preseason speed and it shows most in the trenches.

It was the same BS last year too. The defense got better as they year went on, as did the OL.

Difference in this season? Better DC without a doubt. Better talent in the secondary without a doubt even without getting Tru back yet. Missing Chris Long is obviously bigger than any of us expected, however is it a stretch to think GDub will have this defense humming along at some point? I don't think so. I hope not, as well.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
IDK if it's undicipline play, scheme, or personelle, but right now I'm leaning towards a big gravy eating SOB of a DT to line up next Brockers with our first pick next year. That'd outghta make a difference. Heck I love spending picks on the trenches. Maybe a stub LB'er over Dunbar? IDK, fellas, but we gotta fix it. Nobody saw this coming last offseason.

(On offense, we need a new C with our second pick. Wells isn't getting it done out there. I have pretty much no confidence in Jones at this point.)

Stuff like this happens almost every time a defense has to learn a new system.
I was expecting the D to slip some until they picked up the new system, just not quite as much as they did.
They'll get better.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
It looks like a discipline thing. We're being all anxious and over aggressive and are getting killed on cut backs and the bounces to the outside. That s on the linebackers for me. I too would like to see Brockers improve as well. He does seem to have stagnated a bit.

Sappy113

Rookie
It looks like a discipline thing. We're being all anxious and over aggressive and are getting killed on cut backs and the bounces to the outside. That s on the linebackers for me. I too would like to see Brockers improve as well. He does seem to have stagnated a bit.

In general I feel the progression of most of our defensive players is pretty stale at best. JL, Ogletree aren't really progressing at LB, Brockers seem stuck in a rut, the young safeties aren't doing much. JJ came back on this year, but had a serious slump last year. We have lots of highly drafted talent. I don't think all these guys are too boneheaded to learn how to get better at their craft. I worry it's coaching, be it the daily coaching designed to make these guys better, or schemes.

As for personel, I think we can be OK at DT. Brockers should put on some weight again, and don't worry about his pass-rush as his first skillset. Langford needs to stop arm tackling. And Donald needs to play more. But again, these are talent individuals. 1st round picks. If anything, I'm just about sold on the thought the JL could use a replacing, if, and ONLY if, we can somehow swing getting in a Kuechly/Willis type of talent. JL isn't a bum, but his impact isn't worldshattering either...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In general I feel the progression of most of our defensive players is pretty stale at best. JL, Ogletree aren't really progressing at LB, Brockers seem stuck in a rut, the young safeties aren't doing much. JJ came back on this year, but had a serious slump last year. We have lots of highly drafted talent. I don't think all these guys are too boneheaded to learn how to get better at their craft. I worry it's coaching, be it the daily coaching designed to make these guys better, or schemes.

As for personel, I think we can be OK at DT. Brockers should put on some weight again, and don't worry about his pass-rush as his first skillset. Langford needs to stop arm tackling. And Donald needs to play more. But again, these are talent individuals. 1st round picks. If anything, I'm just about sold on the thought the JL could use a replacing, if, and ONLY if, we can somehow swing getting in a Kuechly/Willis type of talent. JL isn't a bum, but his impact isn't worldshattering either...
I don't get how JL gets signaled out as the lb that needs replacing. Look at the stats. He has had more tackles and Sacks then Willis for the last 3 yrs and that's with him not rushing the passer. LUKE stats are all inflated due to assisted tackles. Never got the love people have for that guy. He is severely overrated to me. What I see is Ogletree never getting off blocks or making the right read to attack the hole. He gets turnovers but he is not reliable in the run game. And the one vet on defense Dunbar is supposed to be the run stopper but he gets completely washed out of plays. But the main problem is scheme I think they are waiting for CL to come back to run the 4-3.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that Brockers is still having ankle problems. Also, wasn't the 3-4 issue the reason that Fisher and that white haired coach parted ways before thy got started?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
So you want to spend our first pick which could be top 5 or 10...on a run stuffing DT?

I completely agree. We have spent enough 1st rounders on the DLine, there is more than enough talent there. This is NEW defensive scheme, on a young team. It took the D about 6-7 weeks last year to start really playing well. There is going to be an adjustment period, if we cannot get sacks, or stop the run by week 10, then something needs to change.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I was just thinking, after watching Langford yesterday, I want to see Donald in their a lot more!!

Alan

Legend
Ballhawk looking at the wrong side of the coin:
Also, wasn't the 3-4 issue the reason that Fisher and that white haired coach parted ways before thy got started?
Not from Fisher's side of the equation. Might have been part of the reason Ryan decided not to take the job but that would be immaterial to the problem we have now IMO.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ean-mccoy-took-himself-out-in-fourth-quarter/

Chip Kelly says LeSean McCoy “took himself out” in fourth quarter
Posted by Mike Florio on October 6, 2014

mccoy.jpg
Getty Images

As the Eagles tried desperately to hang onto a late lead against the Rams on Sunday, where was running back LeSean McCoy?

Good question. The Rams called a timeout with 3:42 to play and Philly up 34-28, after McCoy gained four yards on second and seven. The TV broadcast showed McCoy walking to the sidelines. Darren Sproles entered, and he gained 25 yards on the next play. McCoy didn’t re-enter on the ensuing first down; three plays later, the Eagles punted.

LeSean took himself out,” Chip Kelly told WIP in Philadelphia on Monday. “He rotates and he knows Sproles can play. I think we have two marquee running backs. I don’t change how we call things. I don’t do anything differently when Darren is in the game. I think Darren had seven carries, you know, 51 yards averaged 7.3 yards a carry. So, I think he’s pretty good in what we do.”

Come 2015, Sproles and/or others could be good enough in what the Eagles do to justify not keeping McCoy and his $11.95 million cap number. Especially if McCoy is going to tap out with fewer than four minutes to go, a key third down coming, and the Eagles leading only by six.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I get mauled every time I bring it up - but to me the piece that is missing on the run defense is the MLB.