So About that Run D...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
IDK if it's undicipline play, scheme, or personelle, but right now I'm leaning towards a big gravy eating SOB of a DT to line up next Brockers with our first pick next year. That'd outghta make a difference. Heck I love spending picks on the trenches. Maybe a stub LB'er over Dunbar? IDK, fellas, but we gotta fix it. Nobody saw this coming last offseason.

(On offense, we need a new C with our second pick. Wells isn't getting it done out there. I have pretty much no confidence in Jones at this point.)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I didn't see McCoy getting a ton of yards today, but Sproles is probably juicing...

V3

Hall of Fame
I feel like Brockers has regressed since his rookie season. I didn't think he was very good last season and he hasn't shown anything yet this season. I just don't see much penetration or pressure from him and I don't see him double teamed that much.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't see McCoy getting a ton of yards today, but Sproles is probably juicing...

McCoy pretty much got shut down. But with Sproles and a run or two from Foles, they finished with 145 yards rushing. It doesn't make sense...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, @rams24/7 posted an eye opening stat in the chat room. I think our Run D seems worse than it actually is.

- rams24/7:
I know our run D has been inconsistent but we have held AP, Murray, McCoy to 256 yards on 69 carries for a 3.7 yard average and 1 TD. I'll take that!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel like Brockers has regressed since his rookie season. I didn't think he was very good last season and he hasn't shown anything yet this season. I just don't see much penetration or pressure from him and I don't see him double teamed that much.

That's a troubling observation, but I you may definately be onto something. Brockers was suppose to be a monster this year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Honestly, @rams24/7 posted an eye opening stat in the chat room. I think our Run D seems worse than it actually is.

- rams24/7:
I know our run D has been inconsistent but we have held AP, Murray, McCoy to 256 yards on 69 carries for a 3.7 yard average and 1 TD. I'll take that!

It's a microsom of our team this season so far ... just a few big plays here and there is what has killed us against the run. Nobody is consistently gashing the D for five yards a pops on a consistent basis. Instead we bottle them up, bottle them up, bottle them up ... and then give up a huge gainer.

fearsomefour

Legend
IDK if it's undicipline play, scheme, or personelle, but right now I'm leaning towards a big gravy eating SOB of a DT to line up next Brockers with our first pick next year. That'd outghta make a difference. Heck I love spending picks on the trenches. Maybe a stub LB'er over Dunbar? IDK, fellas, but we gotta fix it. Nobody saw this coming last offseason.

(On offense, we need a new C with our second pick. Wells isn't getting it done out there. I have pretty much no confidence in Jones at this point.)
I suggested this several times this past offseason and was all but tarred and feathered. I know Brockers slimmed down some.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a microsom of our team this season so far ... just a few big plays here and there is what has killed us against the run. Nobody is consistently gashing the D for five yards a pops on a consistent basis. Instead we bottle them up, bottle them up, bottle them up ... and then give up a huge gainer.
And when you're talking about the 3 best backs in football those big gainers are almost expected. I think we are OK against the run

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
And when you're talking about the 3 best backs in football those big gainers are almost expected. I think we are OK against the run

The perception of how we are against the run is probably worse than the reality. Neither McCoy nor Peterson managed to break 4 yards a carry, while Murray just barely eclipsed that mark thanks in no small part to a 40+ yard run. Rainey's performance against our D was the most disturbing to me, and ironically, we won that game. Go figure.

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan expecting from the wrong side:
Great backs are expected to get big gainers but they're also expected to be stopped by great Ds. That's why they don't run for more than 100 yards every game. So while I might sorta agree with your opinion that our run D is OK, OK isn't what I was expecting and I don't think it's good enough to compete in our division. It needs to get much better at stopping those long gainers.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great backs are expected to get big gainers but they're also expected to be stopped by great Ds. That's why they don't run for more than 100 yards every game. So while I might sorta agree with your opinion that our run D is OK, OK isn't what I was expecting and I don't think it's good enough to compete in our division. It needs to get much better at stopping those long gainers.
I have to agree with you there Alan. I was expecting a shutdown D coming into the season and we have been disappointing, there is no denying that.

AZRamsFan93

I think we need a big, fast run stuffing linebacker that plays in the opponents backfield.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think we need a big, fast run stuffing linebacker that plays in the opponents backfield.

I agree. We need to upgrade Dunbar with Perryman from Miami, or slide JL55 over to that side and play Perryman at the MLB spot.

SierraRam

Recreational User
McCoy pretty much got shut down. But with Sproles and a run or two from Foles, they finished with 145 yards rushing. It doesn't make sense...

On Sproles' 'back breaker' run at the end of the game, I noticed two things:

1. JL filled the wrong hole
2. The Eagle TE held TJ for about 5 yards as Sproles ran by...

Still, a better showing overall - just those killer turnovers. (n)

209RamsFan

A.) our D doesnt scare anyone....even going back to last year
B.) brockers hasnt done a damn thing since being drafted
C.) our LBs will feed offof the D Line play, and if the DLine sucks, so will the LBs
D.) the 69 ers will def try to run over us
E.) read A

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well, I personally think it's a bit naive to think the Rams will make every single RB we go against a non factor. These backs get over 1500+ total yards a year and double digit TDs.

Players are gonna get their yards. It's not always reflective of how bad the Rams played, but how good other offensives can be.

A55VA6

Legend
It's just the big runs that makes things seem so much worse. It's like 1 yd, 3 yds, -1 yd, and then they bust a 15-20 yd run. Frustrating.

vdesai

UDFA
It is because Williams insists on using a 3 down linemen with LB/S/CB blitz. That is idiotic when we don't have a legitimate NT. He needs to stop being a moron and run a 4-3.