So...about Pead

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
So first the Rams dump Stacy, now let's say they dump Watts and Pead, the by chance Gurley can't play... not a good scenario.
Even without Gurley, there's Mason and Cunningham as sure-ins and then there's Brown and Reynolds fighting for spots. All those guys can stay on the field and don't get themselves suspended on boneheaded things they can avoid. I'm not sure where Pead and Watts figure in anymore.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not saying he's better, Cunningham did a nice job. In fact they can both be back there. However, Cunningham is more valuable to the team and KR's get hurt more. Gurley could miss some games early on and that makes Benny our #2 RB until Gurley is ready. I'd rather it be Pead. Word is Pead was looking good at the position in camp. He is faster than Benny when healthy.

A couple questions...
1] Wouldn't Mason be #2 behind Gurley?
2] Camp hasn't started yet, no?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, you may be right. The little we've seen of Pead has much to be desired. Snisher has done a great job rebuilding this but man, Pead has been a Donnie Avery sized disappointment. I mean we coulda had D-Jax and Bobby Wagoner. (Of course Avery was a Spagsvaney pick but you get my drift.)

Not that he's lit the world on fire or anything... but Avery has had what I'd consider a "decent" career (when healthy)
2008: 12 games started, 53 receptions for 674
2009: 16/47/589
2010: DNP
2011: 8/3/45 (injuries)
2012: 15/60/781
2013: 14/40/596
2014: 3/15/176
Career: 60/218/2861 (13.1 YPR)

Pead, OTOH:
2012: 1 game started, 10 attempts, 54 yards
2013: 0/7/21
2014: DNP
Kick returns:
2012: 10 returns, 212 yards
2013: 5/138

Like I said, Avery hasn't lit the world on fire, but - when healthy - he's been somewhat productive.
Pead hasn't been prodcutive and he's been injured already.

If it were me, I'd move on from him. Mason and Cunningham provide better options behind Gurley.

Big Game

Living The Dream
I know everyone is down on the guy because he was drafted in the second round and he made bonehead mistakes in the game and fumbled the ball early on.

But the kid has a very good skill set at RB similar to that of Reggie Bush, shifty runner and a good pass catcher.

True we have not been able to see him put that all together in a game but he does have the skills if you go back and review his college days.

Not sure if he will get a chance to play as much due to the talent we have at the position. But i believe he makes the team.

Time will tell, i would love to see him have a chance to make plays for us this year.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
A couple questions...
1] Wouldn't Mason be #2 behind Gurley?
2] Camp hasn't started yet, no?
Fisher seems to take his time with his running backs, making sure that they're ready for pass blocking first. Of course there is also his recovery from the ACL injury.

I'm as excited as anyone about seeing Gurley on the field, in fact I'm intrigued with his pass catching, but realistically I expect to see him used sparingly until they have confidence in his pass blocking.

We have so much competition at tailback, it's not even funny. And a potential fullback ... so who knows.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I cannot find a lot on 40 times (not sure how much it matters anyway) but here is a link to something I found .......... this HTML class. Value is http://rotoviz.com/2

I think Cunningham is a fantastic no.3 back.....that being said I also think it would be fantastic if (although very unlikely )Pead was able to finally put it all together and push Bennie.....or even pass him on the depth chart.

I agree with coach0 that Pead does have a very talented skill set and up to now what is holding him back has nothing to do with his talent.....but if he can put it together......Wow the rams back field would be even more tallented and an even stronger mix of power and explosion. ..... til camp we will have to wait and see........ ;)

Go Rams............ ;)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher seems to take his time with his running backs, making sure that they're ready for pass blocking first. Of course there is also his recovery from the ACL injury.

I'm as excited as anyone about seeing Gurley on the field, in fact I'm intrigued with his pass catching, but realistically I expect to see him used sparingly until they have confidence in his pass blocking.

We have so much competition at tailback, it's not even funny. And a potential fullback ... so who knows.
Yeah... I see it as "actions speak louder than words" when it comes to Pead as RB.
* They draft Mason
* Then, they draft Gurley.
To me, that says Fisher doesn't really have plans for Pead as n RB... perhaps just STs.
We'll see... like you said, plenty of options which is a good problem to have! (y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see what he does in TC/PS before I make any judgements.
He has/had skills that justified his draft position, and due to a variety of reasons, those skills havent translated to the field. Yet
I'd like to see him get a fair and square shot, no dog house, no lingering injury, so we can see if we have something there.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Sorry the link didn't work.....but at the time it did list Cunningham at a 4.51 40.....while listed Pead as a 4.39 40.....again not sure it matters.... ;)

Go Rams............ ;)

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
One of Pead's biggest assets that separated him from many other backs was his top end speed. If he has lost some of that speed due to the ACL then one of his distinguishing traits is negated. I think he has a good chance of returning to full speed and if he plays well then he is worth keeping around. If he gets beat out by several undrafted free agents then the ink will have finally dried on the footnote that he is second round draft bust.

He will be FA next year so even if he sticks this year I think it is safe to say that he will not be back in 2016.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One of Pead's biggest assets that separated him from many other backs was his top end speed. If he has lost some of that speed due to the ACL then one of his distinguishing traits is negated. I think he has a good chance of returning to full speed and if he plays well then he is worth keeping around. If he gets beat out by several undrafted free agents then the ink will have finally dried on the footnote that he is second round draft bust.

He will be FA next year so even if he sticks this year I think it is safe to say that he will not be back in 2016.
IIRC Pead had a low fumble rate in college too. Like really low. I could be wrong but seem to recall that when he inexplicably fumbled in his rare opps in a Rams uni