Snead's legacy as GM

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is that the guy's name? No worries. How are things in the UK?

cant decide whether it wants to be spring or winter at the minute ....but hey we are used to it ....

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I think Snead did good. Not great. But good so far. He got too fancy with the wheeling and dealing and missed out on Bobby Wagner and Ashlon Jeffrey when they were still on the board.

But overall, Snead got the Rams talent up from where they used to be.

Just thinking about the days of Billy Devaney and Steve Ortmayer and all those wasted draft picks and none of the players panned out, by far Snead restocking the Rams talent is considered well done.

Ram65

Legend
Nobody is perfect, but comparing him to other GMs he has to be considered one of the better ones out there, doesn't he?

One thing that stands out is the ability to find talent later in the draft and after it. If the Rams ever start winning and going deep into the playoffs, we will find out what Snead is really worth. Drafting late in rounds 1/2 is a different game, but his success in later rounds makes me believe that he will be fine.

If you write what's in bold then how can he be considered one of the better ones?

Not to pick on you but who is perfect? Compared to previous regimes Snead is a breath of fresh air!

Just one humble Rams fan opinion..

Comparing him to crap is meaningless. Yes I think you missed my point.

I think Snead did good. Not great. But good so far. He got too fancy with the wheeling and dealing and missed out on Bobby Wagner and Ashlon Jeffrey when they were still on the board.

But overall, Snead got the Rams talent up from where they used to be.

Just thinking about the days of Billy Devaney and Steve Ortmayer and all those wasted draft picks and none of the players panned out, by far Snead restocking the Rams talent is considered well done.

I think you made my point and by just naming some of the imperfections in Snead's picks.

Snead hasn't even made the QB pick for the Rams future. What if he gets it wrong?

I like Snead. I really do but I stand by my earlier post which was meant to get his work in perspective after this bold trade.

To early to tell. Some good and some bad moves.

I think and hope it all works out soon. I like him but he isn't perfect.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If you write what's in bold then how can he be considered one of the better ones?

Easy. Which GMs are every successful consistently drafting late in round 1? Some hail Ozzie Newsome but look at his recent drafts. There is nothing special about them. Some say Bellichick, but he has had a lot of misses and isn't even a GM. Right now I think Snead is one of the best in the business.....but if he can take the next step and continue his success picking late in the draft then he would be considered the best in the business.

Ram65

Legend
Easy. Which GMs are every successful consistently drafting late in round 1? Some hail Ozzie Newsome but look at his recent drafts. There is nothing special about them. Some say Bellichick, but he has had a lot of misses and isn't even a GM. Right now I think Snead is one of the best in the business.....but if he can take the next step and continue his success picking late in the draft then he would be considered the best in the business.

Your right, easy. Let's see if the Rams every start winning. Again, I like Les Snead but he has made some questionable, if not very questionable picks. He is getting better. In today's NFL it seems like it's much more a collaboration when it comes to drafting. We know Fisher has a big say in what the Rams do and don't do. Snead has led the Rams to the point that they now have a have greater involvement from the scouting department to management when doing evaluation in both prospective college and NFL players. He has them on a good tract. He has taken them from dysfunctional to very capable. Let's hope this latest bold move pushes them to the winning record we all have been waiting for.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think the book on Snead is incomplete. We're judging him on his ability to make bold moves. Now comes the hard part. The on field success. Start winning and he's a hot commodity. I'm on board with the latest move. Of course, its not like I have a choice. :cool:

Don't you think that the on field success is kinda Fisher's responsibility, daddy?

I sure do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He is getting better

I agree. It is an evolving profression and Snead/Fisher seemed to be learning from past mistakes and also from reports over the years Snead has been embracing the latest technology in evaluations.

I think this move fits with the state of the organization. The team is strong enough that if they can land a QB now it is good timing, unlike getting Bradford when the team crumbling around him. The line is young and improving, the running game is working, the defense is good. Add a pass catcher or two and it is a pretty good team. Not perfect but balanced in most areas.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'm pretty sure the 1st pick in this draft will be Snead's legacy. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
In a sport where most GMs are incredibly conservative and afraid to take risks, Sneads aggressive style is very refreshing. He attacks team needs spending multiple picks on the same position in the same draft. You dont really see alot of that which is weird since the draft is such a crapshoot. Really gives a team cover and depth in case you loose a guy in FA and you have Tru there to step into the number 1 role or if you loose a guy like Jamon Brown to injury and you have Wichman there to fill in. Additionally After that Bobby Wagner debacle he aggressively goes after his guy.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm pretty sure the 1st pick in this draft will be Snead's legacy. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Agreed. If he gets this wrong he will be viewed in the same laughing manner as Mike Ditka.

I think Wentz has that bust potential in so many ways.

However if Snead picks Goff who appears to be that next Elite QB then Snead will be viewed as a hot Comodity and a legend.

Too bad Janoris Jenkins left for the $$. It may take a few drafts to rebuild the secondary, otherwise we would be primed to make a run this year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
A good way to measure how well the Rams have done: When was the last time other NFL teams signed players the Rams had cut? Up until the last year or two, if you got cut by the Rams, you were out of football.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Snead has been an awesome GM.

When we look back and see what they took over we know they had a lot of work to do. Not only that but they were saddled with the Bradford situation. True Fisher claimed that was a big reason he took the job; having Bradford, a talented QB to build around. We were respectable in 2012. More respectable than we had been in some time. But Bradford goes down in week 7 of 2013 and misses all of 2014. They had no choice but to unload him.

But back to Snead and his team building. Saddled with the Bradford contract he was limited in what he could do. Couldn't unload him in 2013 or 2014 because the cap hit would have been devastating. So they built where they could.
Merlin said none of the 2012 class were 'elite' players. I think Brockers is elite. I think Jenkins was elite. And Tru has been franchised so the Rams think he's elite. I'd agree.

2013 class has one 'elite' player in Ogletree. Possibly 2 if we count Austin. A swiss army knife of an offense player. Receiver, runner, punt returner. I think if we didn't have him we'd value his contributions a lot more.

Donald and Gurley are the only two of the last 2 drafts we can be sure are 'elite'. But there's a chance we did a lot better when it's all said and done. GRob, Havenstein, Brown, Joyner, EJ Gaines, Mo all have the potential to be huge contributors. Wichmann might too.

I think Snead's legacy could become quite substantial if this years #1 turns out well. You can bet, after we take the QB at #1, we will be picking long before the #110 selection comes around. No way will he sit tight, though it might make for a shorter weekend.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If Wentz/Goff become legit starters...

2016: Wentz/Goff
2015: Gurley
2014: Donald

Whoa.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Let's not forget the Julio Jones trade! I was hoping he would fall to us in that draft.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Nobody is perfect, but comparing him to other GMs he has to be considered one of the better ones out there, doesn't he?

One thing that stands out is the ability to find talent later in the draft and after it. If the Rams ever start winning and going deep into the playoffs, we will find out what Snead is really worth. Drafting late in rounds 1/2 is a different game, but his success in later rounds makes me believe that he will be fine.
The only area I find us lacking as far as our personnel choices under Snead is the high profile FA's. Our 1st Rd. picks have for the most part been gold ( Jury still out on GRob), our UDFA's have been above average, and our under the radar FA acquisitions have been fairly good . The overall draft picks ... well nobody is 100%. I say we are across the board pretty decent in the draft..... but big $$$ FA's has been the bane of the history...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The only area I find us lacking as far as our personnel choices under Snead is the high profile FA's. Our 1st Rd. picks have for the most part been gold ( Jury still out on GRob), our UDFA's have been above average, and our under the radar FA acquisitions have been fairly good . The overall draft picks ... well nobody is 100%. I say we are across the board pretty decent in the draft..... but big $$$ FA's has been the bane of the history...

Couldn't it be argued that most big $$$ FAs are not usually great successes? Plus Snead was signing them when he was desperate to fill out the roster. That is not the case now, so he can be selective.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Couldn't it be argued that most big $$$ FAs are not usually great successes? Plus Snead was signing them when he was desperate to fill out the roster. That is not the case now, so he can be selective.
True .. and I think that is why we are seeing them not-so-much in the mood to jump back into that pool. Big $$$ FA's are just as much a gamble as the 1st Rd. draft picks....even more so because usually by now we all know the warts coming with them and the ridiculous market $$$ that the new CBA is letting these guys get.
Smart teams build thru the draft and supplement with FA's in the filling out of the rosters.