Snead should be in the running for GM of the year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Remarkable production from those minimum guys.

Yeah… FO did work… the Dotson trade… massive. Just massive.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Before the season we talked about how they needed to kill the draft to have a shot to fight for a wildcard and they did kill the draft. And then the veteran personnel moves too on top of that were excellent. Les definitely deserves the credit. He was walking on a razorwire IMO because had this team tanked the Rams wouldn't fire McVay. Les would have been in the firing line so the man definitely deserves his props.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I remember after the draft, the feeling was if we hit on even half of all of our draft picks (7) that's a home run. Mission accomplished. Not exactly 7, but find me a team with as many rookies playing like puka, young, Avila, turner and Evans.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If we have another draft next year like we did this year, we will be superbowl contenders as long as Stafford and Donald are still playing.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
draft, Drat, DRAFT !!!!!!!
The F them picks mentality needs to go out the window. I for one am happy it appears to have happened.
Isn't it fantastic to watch these new young players that not a whole lot was expected of tear it up !!
Thing is, young players get better and better until their prime so the best part has not even happened yet.
The Rams are not trying to wring out some more good seasons out of vets we gave up out top picks to get.
Spending little and getting a lot back.
Long term NFL success is about the draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we have another draft next year like we did this year, we will be superbowl contenders as long as Stafford and Donald are still playing.
I figure next season Turner will be the early down 3T, which will allow AD to be fresh on rush downs. His work rate and penetration I think suits him very well in that role.

So I would expect them to prioritize DL and add a NT who can keep his feet vs zone and plug it up on the interior when needed. Kind of guy who is tough to move. That's not usually too tough to find and isn't an early draft thing like the 3T types who can give you some rush ability on the interior.

Stafford might be the same in that they'll want a futures option, even if it's just a backup. For all we know maybe they still like Bennett. But I figure they'll take a shot on another backup type who might be able to string games together for us.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The off-season after the Super Bowl aside, the Rams' pro scouting department has unquestionably been the best in the NFL for seveal years now, and the reason the team was able to sustain success with no draft picks.

Whitworth. Woods. Suh. Aqib Talib. Robey Coleman. Dante Fowler. Ramsey. Cooks. Sullivan. Corbett. Weddle. Shields. CJ Anderson. Whiterspoon. Doctson. Stafford. OBJ. Miller. Ashawn Robinson. Gay. The list goes on and on. It seems every external pro the Rams bring in finds tons of success. Who didn't? Watkins and Peters were not massive hits, but they were still useful starters and I'd call both a success, Watkins more so than Peters IMO. Connor Barwin and Clay Matthews were both meh in my view. But I also don't think it is fair to say either was bad in horns. To not have any misses all but defies NFL reality. A real testament to McVay and the culture the team has. Other than kickers, which are a unique breed, I can't think of a single big miss bringing in an external professional level player, other than Allen Robinson. I am open to correction on that. But it's a great track record.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I figure next season Turner will be the early down 3T, which will allow AD to be fresh on rush downs. His work rate and penetration I think suits him very well in that role.

So I would expect them to prioritize DL and add a NT who can keep his feet vs zone and plug it up on the interior when needed. Kind of guy who is tough to move. That's not usually too tough to find and isn't an early draft thing like the 3T types who can give you some rush ability on the interior.

Stafford might be the same in that they'll want a futures option, even if it's just a backup. For all we know maybe they still like Bennett. But I figure they'll take a shot on another backup type who might be able to string games together for us.

View: https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1731703040703381815

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One potential trend that might come up due to the transfer portal impact, while I'm thinking about it, is QB development in college. Teams started running the easier systems and out-athleting their opponents in part due to the NFL plundering their best QBs. When the system is set up to not reward you for developing a QB mentally why do that.

But if the portal system and the pay these guys receive leads to more QBs staying in college for their full eligibility, the system will start rewarding teams that do develop QBs. And to a lesser extent this may have a similar effect over time with the OL as well, where we see more of them learning to put their hands in the dirt vice mostly standing pass pro drops.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Makes sense too. Why go to the NFL early if you can make good money in college and spend your last season of eligibility knee deep in fine ass.
Totes... I think there's an inflection point for day 3 picks. If you're Caleb Williams, it almost makes zero sense to stay for NIL money when what you'll earn in the NFL on the first contract and then a year additionally on all contracts far outweighs anything NIL can provide.

But if you're a Day 3 prospect and are gonna make 300k-500k next year, need more development as a player to get a higher draft status, unsure of where you'll get drafted or even if you can make a team, the proposition starts to be appealing.

I think we may see this specifically hollow out the day 3 QB classes every year.

We desperately need a NFL Europe again.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
The off-season after the Super Bowl aside, the Rams' pro scouting department has unquestionably been the best in the NFL for seveal years now, and the reason the team was able to sustain success with no draft picks.

Whitworth. Woods. Suh. Aqib Talib. Robey Coleman. Dante Fowler. Ramsey. Cooks. Sullivan. Corbett. Weddle. Shields. CJ Anderson. Whiterspoon. Doctson. Stafford. OBJ. Miller. Ashawn Robinson. Gay. The list goes on and on. It seems every external pro the Rams bring in finds tons of success. Who didn't? Watkins and Peters were not massive hits, but they were still useful starters and I'd call both a success, Watkins more so than Peters IMO. Connor Barwin and Clay Matthews were both meh in my view. But I also don't think it is fair to say either was bad in horns. To not have any misses all but defies NFL reality. A real testament to McVay and the culture the team has. Other than kickers, which are a unique breed, I can't think of a single big miss bringing in an external professional level player, other than Allen Robinson. I am open to correction on that. But it's a great track record.
Johnny Wohlford says 'Hey!'

~ArkyRamsFan~

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
In the running? He should win it, no doubt.

This team was not expected to be as good as it is right now. We were hearing 4-13 by some analysts. I picked 5-12. But even with the few faults, he's done well in supplementing his team with players that are playing pivotal roles (Akhello Witherspoon and Kevin Dotson, mostly, but Freeman, Robinson, and JJ3.

And the draft has been beyond any of our wildest expectations. Puka Nacua, Avila, The Conductor, Agent Zero, and Ethan Evans are home run picks. Desjuan Johnson, Davis Allen, and even Tre Hodges-Tomlinson have stepped in, mostly on special teams. Alex Ward has been a home run as a long-snapper. There have been Zach Evans, Ochaun Mathis, and even Jason Taylor II sightings (and I still believe in Hampton and McClendon, even though they haven't played).

Yes, Bennett hasn't played, but that couldn't have been foreseen. The only fault I have is the kicking situation, and the backup quarterback situation. Otherwise, Snead's done a masterful job.