Snead: Richardson Still In Rams' Plans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I would rather have Pead than Richardson, yes. He has more potential, and contributes on special teams (Which we had the best Punt Coverage in the leage this year, in which Pead played gunner.)

So, not that I disagree or agree with you, but it would be nice if the coaching staff could give him a single carry after the team had been eliminated from the playoffs then. More than 7 total in 2013 as well.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Actual contribution and the reduced risk of losing him for any great length of time would lead me to believe that Richardson has more worth than Pead.
How many games does Pead miss for another infraction of the rules? And has he mentally overcome whatever obstacles were in his head from last year?
I guess those aren't questions you have to ask yourself with Richardson. And Pead's ST contributions, minimal as they were, could be handled by the likes of Austin (returns) and any other UDFA eventually bound to make the roster.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Actual contribution and the reduced risk of losing him for any great length of time would lead me to believe that Richardson has more worth than Pead.
How many games does Pead miss for another infraction of the rules? And has he mentally overcome whatever obstacles were in his head from last year?
I guess those aren't questions you have to ask yourself with Richardson. And Pead's ST contributions, minimal as they were, could be handled by the likes of Austin (returns) and any other UDFA eventually bound to make the roster.

That's the thing too. You can tell me he has more potential all day, but because of his mental hurdles he may never reach it. Last offseason I heard about him sitting in his room sulking, while Richardson was out working his fucking ass off to try and become the #1 back. Him going out of his way to tell the coaches he wants to play ST's and excelling at it was a huge step in the right direction. We'll see I guess. I still have no idea why they refuse to use him out of the backfield though. Even when the team has been eliminated from the playoffs. At some point you have to see what you have.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

There were always concerns about Richardson's durability. If he gets injured again this year we see a pattern form, that he can't hold up.

To be fair, I also have to apply this to Tavon. He never missed a game at WVU, but he missed games in his first pro season. Was that Fisher being cautious as the season came to a close? who knows.

You can ask whatever questions you want about Pead. As long as he doesn't have durability issues that Richardson is starting to have, and as long as Isaiah continues to come along on special teams, and show that he wants it, you have to keep his roster spot.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
There were always concerns about Richardson's durability. If he gets injured again this year we see a pattern form, that he can't hold up.

To be fair, I also have to apply this to Tavon. He never missed a game at WVU, but he missed games in his first pro season. Was that Fisher being cautious as the season came to a close? who knows.

You can ask whatever questions you want about Pead. As long as he doesn't have durability issues that Richardson is starting to have, and as long as Isaiah continues to come along on special teams, and show that he wants it, you have to keep his roster spot.

That's because he would've had a bigger chance of getting injured walking off the plane last season, considering he even made the flight.

To be honest, neither makes much sense for where the Rams are heading offensively. A smaller back has no place on this offense now regardless of talent. Unless it's on STs or 3rd down, like we saw last year.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
you have to keep his roster spot.

I don't know that anyone on this roster is assured a spot outside of Austin and a few guys on defense. I get the feeling that being the youngest team in the NFL two years running isn't exactly a coincidence.

The thought coming into this season was there was plenty of potential with just Pead and Richardson after the 2012 season. Then they bring in two more backs. I wouldn't say either of them are safe just because of past accomplishments, which are minimal on both fronts. I happen to like Richardson more is all.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Pead is the better pass catcher of the two. If Isaiah ever reaches his. Potential Richardson will be obsolete. Darryl has to have the worst vision and decision making of any back I watched all season.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I don't know that anyone on this roster is assured a spot outside of Austin and a few guys on defense. I get the feeling that being the youngest team in the NFL two years running isn't exactly a coincidence.

The thought coming into this season was there was plenty of potential with just Pead and Richardson after the 2012 season. Then they bring in two more backs. I wouldn't say either of them are safe just because of past accomplishments, which are minimal on both fronts. I happen to like Richardson more is all.

I should have clarified. I meant a roster spot between Richardson and Pead.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
That's because he would've had a bigger chance of getting injured walking off the plane last season, considering he even made the flight.

To be honest, neither makes much sense for where the Rams are heading offensively. A smaller back has no place on this offense now regardless of talent. Unless it's on STs or 3rd down, like we saw last year.

I agree. if we can find better, we should replace both. It only makes sense to keep upgrading the talent.

fancents86

Starter
If we dumped every player who under performed this season we would only have a d line and a running back. The fact that Pead has shown zero promise to bring anything worth of his draft position, or worth being drafted in the first place leads me to believe his time needs to be up. let's not forget as much as some of you seem to not like D Rich, he straight up beat him out of his spot last season and shown some promise. promise shown vs no promise shown, why is this even a discussion?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I agree. if we can find better, we should replace both. It only makes sense to keep upgrading the talent.

I personally wouldn't do it, but I would also be finding a way to work them into the offensive game plan. Considering that the Rams refuse to for whatever reason, they should probably start looking elsewhere.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I personally wouldn't do it, but I would also be finding a way to work them into the offensive game plan. Considering that the Rams refuse to for whatever reason, they should probably start looking elsewhere.

I see this situation developing much like that of SF. They have Gore, Kendall Hunter as the mainstays at RB, and yet they somehow find a way to get LaMichael James on the field albeit in a limited role. With Stacy and Cunningham appearing to be the guys who get the bulk of the carries, I can see either Pead or Richardson used in a similar role as James.

Now given that James also contributes on Special Teams, as does Pead, you can draw your own conclusions. There is a place on this team for him. Richardson? That remains to be seen.