Snead; Rams prepared to move up, or back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2016...will-be-prepared-to-move-up-or-back-in-draft/

With then NFL Draft looming in two weeks, the Rams are in organizational prep mode as they sort through their Top 30 player visit list, build their draft board and identify trade partners should they try to move up or back in the first round.

The trade homework is of particular importance this year to the Rams. With an obvious need to identify their long-ranger quarterback of the future, but armed with the 15th overall pick, the Rams might have to be aggressive moving up in the draft to get a chance to select either Carson Wentz from North Dakota State or Jared Goff from Cal.

Wentz and Goff are considered the two best quarterbacks in the draft, but both figure to be gone before the Rams make their scheduled first pick. So, it’s incumbent on them to identify potential trade partners in the two weeks leading up to the first round.

Or, should Goof and Wentz prove out of reach, be prepared to pursue other plans to secure their long range quarterback.

Rams general manager Les Snead told Bruce Murray and Mark Dominik today on The SiriusXM Blitz that he and his staff will be prepared for any trade scenario come draft day.

Snead, taking a break from Rams draft meetings at their temporary headquarters in Oxnard, said the prep work on possible trades happens well before draft day.

“The who key is you try to identify teams that are willing to move back, so you know who to contact when the clock starts getting closer to zero,” Snead said. “And also, as for moving back, you get a feel for who wants to come up. So you work it both ways, you prepare, but those 10 minutes, 15 minutes will tick down pretty quickly.”

Snead did warn that knowing who is willing to move down is much different than actually having a deal in place.

“And a lot of times that dance partner is going to tell you, yes they want to, for the most part, but they do want to wait to see who falls to their pick,” he explained. “And if a certain player falls to their pick, you may have had a dance partner but all of a sudden things go differently or they had their Player A scenario fall to them.”

In other words, no dice.

“And at that point, you start scrambling,” Snead said.

.png

Share this post ...

WestCoastRam

Legend
The reporter from SI, Silver seems to have gotten a lot of access to the warroom and has written about it these last two years. Though, I suspect there's been some liberties taken with what's actually happened, both reports from the last two years just seemed too rosy - like, the Rams just had EVERYTHING go their way in the draft room.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I keep wondering what the strategy is this year. They are not brining in the top QBs for visits and have only been linked to Cook. So, are they pretending not to have interest in the top three QBs like the did with Gurley last year at this time?

If they really like Mannion as the future QB there would be no reason to play that down. If teams thought they loved Lynch then the Rams would be the target to jump in a trade up. Feigning interest in Lynch would be the best way to go. So, is that what they are doing?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they really like Mannion as the future QB there would be no reason to play that down. If teams thought they loved Lynch then the Rams would be the target to jump in a trade up. Feigning interest in Lynch would be the best way to go. So, is that what they are doing?

Rams are probably one of the hardest front offices to read man. They're very good at keeping a lid on things and the misdirection stuff, so who knows, but I will say there isn't any way they'd really know if Mannion can be counted on. I mean, they didn't play him really when the opportunities presented themselves, and it's not like a 3 on the depth chart at QB gets a lot of looks during the season.

IMO they honestly don't know what they have in Mannion. So they can't afford to proceed like he can be counted on. Drafting a QB has to be high on their priority list, it just has to.

And if you were to draw up a QB that Fish would love, Lynch would tick a lot of the boxes. Fish loves size, he loves mobility in his QBs, and the ability to throw it deep. Only way that he'd not have Lynch high on his board is if he's prioritizing how soon the QB can play. But you know I believe him when he says he thinks he can win with Keenum. IMO Fish sees Keenum as his bridge QB until the rook or Mannion are ready to take the reigns.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rams are probably one of the hardest front offices to read man. They're very good at keeping a lid on things and the misdirection stuff, so who knows, but I will say there isn't any way they'd really know if Mannion can be counted on. I mean, they didn't play him really when the opportunities presented themselves, and it's not like a 3 on the depth chart at QB gets a lot of looks during the season.

IMO they honestly don't know what they have in Mannion. So they can't afford to proceed like he can be counted on. Drafting a QB has to be high on their priority list, it just has to.

And if you were to draw up a QB that Fish would love, Lynch would tick a lot of the boxes. Fish loves size, he loves mobility in his QBs, and the ability to throw it deep. Only way that he'd not have Lynch high on his board is if he's prioritizing how soon the QB can play. But you know I believe him when he says he thinks he can win with Keenum. IMO Fish sees Keenum as his bridge QB until the rook or Mannion are ready to take the reigns.

I hope your right. I agree with your thoughts on it all.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
C'mon, fellas...

The Rams clearly need an upgrade at QB if they want to entertain playoff possibilities.

Moreover, Demoff, Snead, and Fisher have all publicly stated that there will be a new QB in camp this year.

Given the above, does it really make sense to you that they would trade down from #15 and be willing to settle for, at best, the 5th ranked QB?

Does that sound like a S&F type draft strategy to you? Really?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
C'mon, fellas...

The Rams clearly need an upgrade at QB if they want to entertain playoff possibilities.

Moreover, Demoff, Snead, and Fisher have all publicly stated that there will be a new QB in camp this year.

Given the above, does it really make sense to you that they would trade down from #15 and be willing to settle for, at best, the 5th ranked QB?

Does that sound like a S&F type draft strategy to you? Really?

Is there a strong possibility that all 3 (Wentz/Goff/Lynch) are all off the boards after the first 10 teams make their selections.............so they remain @ #15 to make a huge reach & take a Conner Cook? Would that not be a waste of a sizeable amount of this teams 2016 priceless draft value?

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://larrybrownsports.com/football/titans-50-50-trade-number-one-pick/299397

According to SI’s Peter King in Monday’s edition of the MMQB, he places the odds of the Titans trading the pick at 50-50, and there has been “significant interest” in the pick.

If the Titans keep the pick, King says to expect offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil or defensive back Jalen Ramsey to be the pick, but King would not be surprised if the pick gets moved. He cited the Los Angeles Rams, San Francisco 49ers, and Philadelphia Eagles as teams that could overpay for the top pick, potentially in search of a quarterback.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/03/...e-broncos-49ers-titans-jalen-ramsey-nfl-draft
But the top of the draft is in flux, and I will not be surprised if in the next three weeks the Titans move the pick for an additional high pick or picks—even though there’s not the Andrew Luck or Marcus Mariota out there for a team to move up and grab. But there are teams like San Francisco or Los Angeles or Philadelphia that might want a quarterback, and might be desperate enough to overpay for the top pick.
I don't see Snisher (where tha haters at?) settling in this draft....get your man...end all the criticism...I know Jeff wants to fight guys about the career 8-8 shit....get that man....
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/12/jared-goff-california-film-study-nfl-draft

Or

Trade back for Cook/Lynch....I aint picky.....