Snead insists moving up to draft Goff was right move and would do it again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was good that Andrew Donnal's time finally came & he went into wk 13 as the main reserve for four OL positions. Early in the game Cody Wichmann damaged ankle finally gave way & the injured hip'd AD was now inserted into the starting RG post. Cody was never healthy the rest of the season. AD finished the last five games in the 2016 season as a starter. AD finished 4 games @ RG & wk 17 he started for Havenstein @ RT.The 6-6/320 pound AD has the size that Kromer desires in his OL'ers. AD is a very smart technician who knows what to do & is very consistent in doing it. His past main problems have come from a lack of overall strength & power & lack of pop

And I thought I was a tad verbose.;)....That is the most I have ever read about Andrew Donnal including what they had on him on Iowa's website. Okay first off Iowa's Offensive Linemen are very well coached by Kirk Ferentz and his son Brian. Ferentz was an Offensive Line Coach before becoming Head Man at Iowa so there is always that plus playing offensive line for the Hawkeyes.

I believe Donnal was selected by the Rams solely based on his versatility and he has showcased it over the past two years. The knock on him was he needed to get stronger and with his first start at left guard in 2015, it was a total disaster, however, he came back nice against the Ravens that year at RT and before his injury was playing extremely well, which led me to surmise, he was more comfortable at RT where he played most of the time at Iowa.

Last season you can add me to the list that thought he was a goner, I had high hopes for Darrell Williams, but Williams showcased against Denver in the third preseason game that he had forgotten how to pass block, which seemed to happen to most of the group last year and Isiah Battle was just Jon Kirksey in Sheep's Clothing as there was truly nothing to see there and Donnal IMO at the time was just the last man standing, which did not make him good, just better than the others.

However, I found myself feeling much better about Donnal playing than Wichmann last season, Donnal got much better push whereas Wichmann just was not able to control his guy at the point of attack. Moving forward I still believe Donnal best asset is his versatility, however, in fairness playing left tackle, he did not get Goff killed whereas Williams most likely would have and Donnal showcases the ability to adjust on the fly, which yes makes him smarter than the average bear or in this case the average Robinson.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Sure, but you don't judge a QB prospect on one pre-draft all-star game... you judge him on his collegiate career, you judge him on how you think what made him successful in college will translate to the NFL, you judge him based on how similar players made the jump to the NFL, and you judge him based on his physical ability (Combine stats mostly).

He was the 135th pick in the draft, meaning every team passed over him multiple times due to concerns about whether he could learn how to play a pro-style offense with NFL reads and responsibilities.

Were scouts wrong about him? Seems that way after a heluva rookie year. But you look at his comps, his lack of polish coming into the draft, his questionable mechanics, and you see a guy who should be reasonably expected to be a several-year project, the ideal guy to back up someone like Tony Romo for the final two or three seasons of his career.

Indomitable will and outright absurd work ethic seems to have driven him far beyond what he should be, though.
Football Outsiders has an interesting model called QBASE, which tries to predict NFL success. All of the 2016 QBs had a pretty high "bust" rate except Goff. Prescott's success percentages stand out against the rest of the QBs, but getting arrested for a DUI in March likely hurt his draft stock. The model is also a career performance predictor, not just rookie season.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/qbase-2016

Last edited:

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Uhmm Yes I do. I complimented his work ethic. Said it had something to do with it, but I believe his offensive line and supporting cast had more to do with his success than Prescott.

Learn to read.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/03/04/jerry-jones-dak-work-ethic-like-peyton-manning-predicts-dramatic-improvement-prescott

Again, he would have looked awful had he played for the Rams. The Rams OL was so bad, maybe Aaron Rodgers could have been decent, but I think even he would have been awful.
Oh, I thought you meant we lost because his work ethic was poor. It's Monday. That's my excuse. Lol

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You'd rather have a bad QB than Prescott
0 playoff wins surrounded by all that talent....
[av]http://www.moviewavs.com/0053148414/MP3S/Movies/Pulp_Fiction/dicks.mp3[/av]
dallas-cowboys-fans_am6ljy9yv2u1a57ia4qz1kbx.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sure, but you don't judge a QB prospect on one pre-draft all-star game... you judge him on his collegiate career, you judge him on how you think what made him successful in college will translate to the NFL, you judge him based on how similar players made the jump to the NFL, and you judge him based on his physical ability (Combine stats mostly).
I would also add he had a fantastic college career...exciting ass hell to watch....brought a program from out the bottom to challenge the great SEC teams...but I figured you already knew that?

He was the 135th pick in the draft, meaning every team passed over him multiple times due to concerns about whether he could learn how to play a pro-style offense with NFL reads and responsibilities.
I thin the biggest concern was the DUI arrest weeks or even days before the draft. I think he threw well at the combine too. The only reason the "scouts" missed, is that they failed to realize how mature Dak is and how fast he could learn to operate a pro offense.
Football Outsiders has an interesting model called QBASE, which tries to predict NFL success. All of the 2016 QBs had a pretty high "bust" rate except Goff. Prescott's success percentages stand out against the rest of the QBs, but getting arrested for a DUI in March likely hurt his draft stock.
Exactly......

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
0 playoff wins surrounded by all that talent....
[av]http://www.moviewavs.com/0053148414/MP3S/Movies/Pulp_Fiction/dicks.mp3[/av]
View attachment 18900
You're really going to use that argument on a rookie QB after 1 year? Oh, by the way, a pro bowl rookie QB. Great argument. When was the last time the rams were even in the playoffs? I'm asking for a friend.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You're really going to use that argument on a rookie QB after 1 year? Oh, by the way, a pro bowl rookie QB. Great argument. When was the last time the rams were even in the playoffs? I'm asking for a friend.

Then why do you use that argument when it comes to Goff?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm just quoting The Wolf, and wise words they are for Cowboy fans. The kid has been already been anointed after one season? It's too soon. RGIII looked like a God his rookie year, so did our very own Todd Gurley.

I'll give the kid his due when he's won something and shows he can put a team on his back when things aren't going right around him.

Rams?
2004. Went 8-8, beat SEA in wild card rd and lost to ATL in the div rd. George Enron Bush was in his first term as US President.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I'm just quoting The Wolf, and wise words they are for Cowboy fans. The kid has been already been anointed after one season? It's too soon. RGIII looked like a God his rookie year, so did our very own Todd Gurley.

I'll give the kid his due when he's won something and shows he can put a team on his back when things aren't going right around him.

RG3 was a run-first QB, who couldn't read a defense or throw from the pocket very well. When the league figured out the spread option, he became useless. Dak is a pocket passer, and runs if he absolutely has to. So if your criteria of "giving the kid his due is when he puts the team on his back", what do you think of Romo?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
When did I ever mention playoff wins pertaining to Goff? I'll wait.

That's not what I meant, Rynie. How can you judge Goff for seven games, while saying that Prescott is the answer after sixteen? That's not enough time to properly judge a quarterback.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
That's not what I meant, Rynie. How can you judge Goff for seven games, while saying that Prescott is the answer after sixteen? That's not enough time to properly judge a quarterback.
You said playoff wins, which is a team Stat. And yes, it's a small sample size, but the #1 overall pick is going to be judged more harshly. Thats just how it is. He didnt even start immediately.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Goff not starting had everything to do with the colossal incompetence of Fisher to develop ANY QBs.

Getting a guy from the Bear Raid offense meant he had a LOT of work to do. But Fisher was still enamored with Keenum enough that he didn't give the kid the time tools or training he needed to start or be effective if he did.