Snead: Gurley passed conditioning test, should progress to football activities soon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
How long until Rams rookie RB Todd Gurley plays in a game? Randy K says Week 1. D’Marco Farr says Week 3. They also talk about how many sellouts they think the Rams will have this year.

Listen to Gurley Discussion

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Just because he can run on the treadmill and not get out of breath doesn't mean he should be making cuts yet. No reason to rush him.

Moostache

Rookie
...I have a BAD case of Bradfordaphobia.

I hear ya man...me too!

For every Adrian Petersen or Jerry Rice come back from an ACL it seems there is a Sam Bradford or Jake Long...
I have to assume the Rams team doctors would keep him off the field if the knee was a concern, but I am super skittish about having him back on the field before week 8.
As snakebite as the Rams have been over the last decade of futility, I would hate to see anything happen to Gurley before he even has a chance to be 100% healed. I know that surgical techniques and rehab have improved light years in the last few decades, but tissue healing and getting strong enough to avoid re-injury seems to be so random that it scares me.

Of course, then again I would have been scared off Gurley in the draft as well even though he was an incredible talent when healthy.

I really hope this ends with him as NFC Offensive ROY and the Rams in the playoffs, but the downside is reinjured in meaningless pre-season action and lost for another year with potential career altering injury.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Unless the kid is a genius he'd do more damage starting week 1 then good. No way he will have a good enough grasp on the offense to pass pro, blitz pick up, etc.
Ease him in, no need to rush it

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ease him in, no need to rush it
shesaid1.gif

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
After game 5 we'll probably be somewhere between 0-5 and 5-0. No point in being over pessimistic or optimistic at this point. This season is really a toss up as far as I'm concerned.
C'mon man! It's preseason, ery'body knows well be 5 -0 after 5 games!

NateTheRam

Rookie
Name
Nathan
We better not play him week 1 no reason to rush it. If anything I feel better if we don't play him after the bye week. Plus Fisher is not the type to start rookie running backs for the first couple of weeks. Calm down people we still have Tre Mason that can get the job done

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
From Rotoworld Rams Fantasy preview
"Gurley was also one of the top pass-protecting backs in the 2015 class. Gurley's skill set is undeniable, but his injury history is concerning. Even before tearing his ACL last November, Gurley battled a torn hip flexor and high ankle sprain in 2013, costing him three games and affecting him in others. Offseason reports on Gurley's ACL recovery have been upbeat, which was expected. His Week 1 availability remains in doubt, with reserve/PUP -- a designation that would cost Gurley the first six games -- remaining a real possibility."
I did not know he had been injured before the ACL. I would take the doctor and trainer's advice and when the they say he is ready to play I would tack on 6-8 extra weeks. But then again my but isn't on the line to have a winning season. If the Rams are good enough to win they can win with the running backs they have now. Gurley will just make it possible to win a few more games.

DawgFather

UDFA
From Rotoworld Rams Fantasy preview
"Gurley was also one of the top pass-protecting backs in the 2015 class. Gurley's skill set is undeniable, but his injury history is concerning. Even before tearing his ACL last November, Gurley battled a torn hip flexor and high ankle sprain in 2013, costing him three games and affecting him in others. Offseason reports on Gurley's ACL recovery have been upbeat, which was expected. His Week 1 availability remains in doubt, with reserve/PUP -- a designation that would cost Gurley the first six games -- remaining a real possibility."
I did not know he had been injured before the ACL. I would take the doctor and trainer's advice and when the they say he is ready to play I would tack on 6-8 extra weeks. But then again my but isn't on the line to have a winning season. If the Rams are good enough to win they can win with the running backs they have now. Gurley will just make it possible to win a few more games.

I come back, if anybody remembers me posting when you guys drafted Gurley. Yes he was banged up in his sophmore and some of the video clips from that year, you can see his speed isnt quite there like the catch in the Florida game highlight, it was his first game back that year on the ankle sprain which bothered him the entire rest of the season, but he battled through it where many players wouldnt have. But that ankle sprain was against LSU and no player in the NFL wouldnt have had the same injury on that play. I will be watching you guys this year, eventhough i dont normally watch near as much NFL as I do college but defintely rooting for the Rams, now that you guys have Gurley and have had Tree a couple years. 2 of my favorite players to play for Georgia. If he stays healthy and comes back to where he was preinjury, you will have an elite NFL player, no question about it.

RamBill

Legend
Gurley passes physical, begins camp on active roster
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_34705398-00a4-5789-9091-e1f251d65be1.html

During the last week of OTA practice sessions in June, Rams coach Jeff Fisher talked about the roster options the team had for rookie running back Todd Gurley once training camp opened. Among them, as Gurley continued his rehab from knee surgery he underwent as a Georgia Bulldog, was designation to the physically unable to perform list.

“If he’s not ‘PUP-ed,’ ” Fisher said at the time, “then I think you could probably assume that he’s going to play sooner than you think.”

Well, on Tuesday, all Rams rookies had to undergo their pre-training camp conditioning tests, a series of running drills to gauge their fitness levels for the rigors of camp. On a hot and steamy day in St. Louis, Gurley wasn’t fazed by the weather.

He passed his conditioning test with an exclamation point, according to those who saw him work out. So contrary to some national speculation last week, Gurley will not begin training camp on the PUP list. Instead, he will start training camp Friday on the active roster and be available to practice.

Obviously, this is an encouraging development for a Rams team hoping to beef up its running game and add a much-needed difference maker to the offense. There are no guarantees, of course, but as Fisher said in mid-June, minus the PUP-list designation he will probably play sooner than expected.

So the chances of Gurley being ready on opening day, Sept. 13 in the Edward Jones Dome against defending NFC champion Seattle, just went up. That doesn’t mean he’ll get 20 or 25 touches against the Seahawks, but he could be a factor.

Gurley’s work on the conditioning test certainly rates as a positive development, and a definite sign of progress in terms of the knee. But he still has some road to travel in terms of preparation for the regular season. The Rams’ medical staff, in consultation with the coaches, still must evaluate Gurley’s medical progress versus setting a specified return date.

Along those lines the team still has to determine a plan for integrating functional football work — that is, practice — with the continued rehab work that must be done on the surgically repaired left knee.

Gurley suffered the injury in the Bulldogs’ Nov. 15 game against Auburn last season, or roughly 8½ months ago. Even with the injury and surgery, the Rams couldn’t pass on Gurley at No. 10 overall in the draft.

In calling him the team’s running back of the future, Fisher cited Gurley’s athletic ability, strength, acceleration and instincts as a runner. “He’s special,” Fisher said after making the pick.

Gurley’s combination of speed and power could make him an improved version of Steven Jackson in St. Louis. He has also drawn comparisons to Marshawn Lynch and Fred Taylor, two highly successful backs in the NFL.

But even with Gurley on the active roster, and potentially being available for opening day, the last thing the Rams want to do is rush him back. With that in mind Tre Mason, impressive as a rookie a year ago, is still expected to get the lion’s share of the carries early in the season. Benny Cunningham has proven to be a capable rotation player and third-down back.

But even a Gurley who sees limited duty in the early going should make the Rams a better offense and potentially help the team avoid the slow starts to the season that have plagued Fisher’s first three Rams teams.

RAM-BLINGS

Just in time for the start of training camp, the Rams have signed rookie offensive tackle Isaiah Battle of Clemson. The Rams used a fifth-round pick to select Battle in the NFL’s supplemental draft July 9.• Former Rams offensive tackle Jake Long, a cap casualty this past offseason following his second season-ending knee injury in two years with St. Louis, visited the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday.• Former Rams offensive guard Chris Williams was waived with a failed physical designation Tuesday by Buffalo. Williams started 16 games for the Rams in 2013 before signing a free agent contract with the Bills in 2014.

• The good news for Pittsburgh star running back Le’Veon Bell was that his NFL suspension following DUI and marijuana possession issues was reduced from three games to two at the start of the 2015 season. The bad news for the Rams is that means he’ll now be available for the Steelers’ Game 3 matchup in St. Louis on Sept. 27.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I feel different about Gurley. I think he'll be just fine.
That's what I said about Bradford and Jake Long last season and didn't turn out well. Hopefully e are going for a 1 out of 3 with Gurley.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Good news hopefully there are no setbacks and the kid can play all or most of the year.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I would rather we wait until he's 100% - there is no reason to rush the guy, it's not like Mason can't run the football is it...

I'd rather hold off for a few games than throw him in and lose him for another season and a half - the Rams don't have a good track record with bringing players back on the field post ACL injuries, and I know everyone's ging to say different player, he's a stud etc - he's still only human.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
So from what I understand, a lot of the re-injuries are on the other knee because the player favours the injured knee. Wouldn't telling a player "you're 100% fine, you could play today, we're just scared you'll re-injure your knee" cause the player to favour that knee even more than he would to start off with?