Snead believes this could be the Rams' year/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Snead believes this could be the Rams' year
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0b16badf-ab07-585c-9486-3f4e1b38f712.html

Last year at this time, Rams general manager Les Snead talked about the third year being the charm, citing examples of other rebuilding jobs in past NFL seasons around the league that clicked in Year 3.

Well, you know the story. Quarterback Sam Bradford suffered a season-ending knee injury in the Rams’ third preseason game, and things went downhill from there. The result was a 6-10 record, the worst finish in the three years of the Jeff Fisher-Snead regime in St. Louis.

Year 4 for that tandem is now upon us, and Snead remains as optimistic as ever.

As Fisher told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday, Snead told a media gathering Thursday at Rams Park that he feels the 2015 edition is the most talented of the four Fisher-Snead squads.

“You know what? I actually do,” Snead said. “I’m not going to speak about it a ton because you’re tired of hearing about it. But you started in a pretty deep hole here.”

That was a reference, of course, to the roster he and Fisher inherited after the 2011 season and the fact that the Rams had gone 15-65 from 2007-11.

“But since ‘12, we’re third in win-percentage improvement, only behind Denver and Seattle,” Snead said. “It’s an interesting stat – we just started a lot lower down the hill than they did. But it has shown some progress.

“And there’s some adversity. You didn’t plan on 25 straight (games) with your backup quarterback. You’ve gotta always overcome it. The league usually wins about 26 percent of the games with a backup QB, and in that time we won 40 percent. And we’ve done all this with a young team.”

Those are interesting numbers. But the only numbers that matter are the wins and losses – more precisely, having more wins than losses.

“We’re close,” Snead said. “I can feel it. . . . I anticipate us contending for the West. I’m planning on it, expecting it, and not scared.”

The thought of facing Seattle, Arizona, and even a depleted San Francisco roster twice a year in the NFC West can be scary. But with a defense that returns basically intact, a new quarterback in Nick Foles, and a roster than can be characterized as young but seasoned, Snead feels this can be that long-elusive “over the hump” year for the Rams.

With a healthy Foles, Snead feels the Rams can be a legit playoff contender.

“I would anticipate that,” Snead said. “Nick’s won 63 percent of his games. . . .Once Nick became available (via trade), that made it very intriguing because the guy, he’s actually taken a team to the playoffs.”

Snead, by the way, said contract extension talks with Foles are ongoing and that it’s “definitely realistic” to think Foles could have a new Rams contract by the end of the 2015 season.

Switching to defense, Snead said he expects to see a dominant group.

“They did a heck of a job last year, when they tipped and turned and got to gel,” he said, referring the second-half surge last season. “It was fun to watch. The goal is to carry that over into this year, and sooner rather than later. . . . I don’t know if I’ve been around a defense like this one.”

The defense may have to carry the squad early in the season as Foles settles in, Todd Gurley completes his knee rehab at running back, and the ultra-young offensive line adjusts to life in the NFL.

“You would love for them, as we gel on offense, to be the bell cow,” Snead said. “Just on paper, that would be the ideal scenario. The defense kind of pulls some weight as our offense gels, and then once they gel – let’s roll.”

But as is the case with Fisher, Snead could feel job pressure if the team doesn’t contend in the West or make a legitimate playoff push.

“Never think about,” Snead said. “I get what you’re saying: It’s Year 4 of your tenure. But you’re actually more jacked about it because you actually feel good about the foundation and where we’re going. It just hasn’t occurred yet.”

With a 20-27-1 record over three seasons here, there’s no time like the present.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams, GM Les Snead enter important fourth year
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/19841/rams-gm-les-snead-enter-important-fourth-year

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As the St. Louis Rams embark on the fourth year of the Jeff Fisher and Les Snead era, it's time to put up or shut up.

To this point, Fisher and Snead have been open about the massive rebuilding project they took on upon arrival in 2012. The pair and their respective staffs quickly restored the franchise from the dregs of the league to something closer to respectable. But the results haven't moved past that mediocre phase into contender status, and patience is beginning to wear thin.

If this isn't the year the Rams take that next step, it could be time for the team to make big changes. In other words, jobs might actually be on the line this time around.

Despite that looming possibility, Snead offers a different perspective on what figures to be an all-important season in St. Louis.

" never think about that," Snead said. "It's a clich but it's football. It's interesting because I get what you're saying -- it's Year 4 of your tenure but you're actually really jacked about it because you actually feel good about the foundation and where we're going; it's just it hasn't occurred yet. We've got to do that this year. We're ready to go compete because you've got a coaching staff you are ready to go to battle with and players that have grown up and are ready to go."

So instead of viewing this as a make-or-break season -- a phrase that many hoped would leave town when quarterback Sam Bradford did -- Snead is viewing this as the coming-out party for a group that has been four years in the making.

To that end, Snead spent Thursday exhibiting an optimism that hasn't been present in these parts for years. Whereas in recent seasons he's offered analogies about cubs growing into lions and spilled milk being a part of the process, Snead now isn't afraid to put a firmer label on the rising expectations he has for a roster that he believes is the best it's been since his arrival.

"I anticipate us contending for the West," Snead said. "I'm planning on it, expecting it and not scared."

According to Snead, his hopes for the team evolving from the 6-10 record of a year ago into a bona fide contender is rooted in more than just crossed fingers. As part of the team's offseason analytical studies, Snead and Co. found trends that could work in the team's favor.

For example, since 2012, Snead said the Rams trail only the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks in win-percentage improvement while also acknowledging his team had a bigger hole to climb out of. The Rams also ran the numbers on how they've fared with a backup quarterback in place against other teams who have started backups in recent years.

In the 25 straight games the Rams played with backups Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis and Shaun Hill, the Rams won 40 percent of their games. The league average for other teams starting a backup, according to Snead, is closer to 26 percent. Having a presumably healthy Nick Foles at quarterback figures to be a boon in Snead's mind.

It's because of some of those numbers that Snead, Fisher and the Rams have stuck to the plan, never deviating from the build-through-the-draft strategy and even going so far as to essentially eschew big-ticket free agents over the past two seasons. Even when the outcry for a key veteran has reached fever pitch, the Rams have kept their focus on their ongoing youth movement in the face of that temptation.

"I think when you've got a plan and when you can actually do some measurements and say 'OK, we're progressing', it's easier to stick to it," Snead said. "If you did some of those same measurements I was talking about and you were like 'Wait a minute, we were 28th in improved winning percentage instead of third, maybe this thing needs to do something different.' But there's some internal measurements where we say let's stick to the plan.

"Obviously we're not there yet but we do think we can get there so let's just [stick to it]. That's the hard part; you've got to be disciplined."

But while Snead's optimism might run deeper than it has in any of his previous three years, he's also realistic enough to know that analytics and numbers guarantee nothing when it comes to the product on the field.

For once again, if the Rams are to break the longest streak of losing seasons in the league (eight) and/or the fourth longest streak of years without a playoff appearance (10), the Rams will have to prove it on the field.

"All that is math," Snead said. "Those are numbers in a math equation that may analyze some progress and predict some future [success], but at the end of the day when the sun sets, what's next? What now? That's what we've got to do now is grow and go on a winning streak and things like that. We're close. I can feel it."

===============

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Dnz46X5.gif

It's Rams football once again, the best time of year … grab a cold one and hang on !

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great, 20-27-1 for Snead & Fisher....

But it's 35-92-1 for the rest of us. :censored:
After the Rams go 12-4 this Season and are 32-31-1 under Snead & Fisher you'll forget all about those other years!!(y):snicker::shades:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
After the Rams go 12-4 this Season and are 32-31-1 under Snead & Fisher you'll forget all about those other years!!(y):snicker::shades:

It it wasn't for you optimists, us pessimists would never know how happy we aren't. ;)