Snead & Balzer Break Down the Rams Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Les Snead, Rams GM on KMOX Radio
Les breaks down the team’s picks during the NFL Draft.

Listen to Snead Talk Draft

Howard Balzer, Longtime NFL Analyst
Howard discusses the NFL Draft and his take on the Rams’ picks. He also talks about covering some of the first televised NFL Drafts in the 80’s.

Listen to Balzer Talk Draft

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
WOW. IDK according to Snead Gurley averaged 3.9 yards a carry AFTER contact (5.0+overall) that's amazing! Most RB's would love to average 3.9 over all!

Alan

Legend
Sneed on drafting O-line players:
"The average round for all starters at OG, RT & OC is close to the fourth round"
Close to the fourth round translates to lower 3rd round. So basically he's saying that the odds of getting a starter (not a great starter) aren't good by the time you get to the 4th round. Especially true in a weak draft.

He said drafting LTs needs to be done in the first two rounds.

This is information that we should keep in mind when looking at our draft this year and when discussing this topic in future drafts. IMO.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am glad that Snead is taking different approaches with the draft. This is the first time I heard him make references to the historical draft slots.

@Alan a few of us were expecting the ORT position to be the first addressed because OTs in general are always more highly coveted and more difficult to find than Guards.

Alan

Legend
Elmgrovegnome liking our FO to use all the pertinent info available:
I am glad that Snead is taking different approaches with the draft. This is the first time I heard him make references to the historical draft slots.

a few of us were expecting the ORT position to be the first addressed because OTs in general are always more highly coveted and more difficult to find than Guards.
I like that too Elm. I love it when they get some math into the equation! :LOL:

If the best guard in the draft (Scherff) was gone when they came up to bat I expected that too. Scratch an NFL OG and you'll often find a former OT under the surface. :) Scratch an NFL OC and you'll usually find a former OG. IMO you're exactly right in thoughts on that ELM. That seems to be the hierarchy in O-lines both in college and the NFL. (y)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like that too Elm. I love it when they get some math into the equation! :LOL:

If the best guard in the draft (Scherff) was gone when they came up to bat I expected that too. Scratch an NFL OG and you'll often find a former OT under the surface. :) Scratch an NFL OC and you'll usually find a former OG. IMO you're exactly right in thoughts on that ELM. That seems to be the hierarchy in O-lines both in college and the NFL. (y)

Yep a lot of bigger schools go real heavy on OT recruiting and ignore OGs from high school, because a failed OT can always move over to OG.