Snead and Waufle at Clowneys Pro Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I think the Rams are scouting talent, but also the surrounding hype here. Snead said before the combine even that they would be looking at top QBs because if someone wants to trade for them, they have to know what they're worth. Part of the reason they've met with Bortles and Carr obviously.

I wouldn't mind Clowney at all, but I would love some premium picks and ANOTHER 1st next year if we could. :cool:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I am at the stage where I am now praying the Rams take clowney.

jjab360

Legend
I guess it's because Boudreau and Waufle are such good, veteran coaches.
Yeah, I get that. I wonder who determines these things, though. I doubt it would give Rams coaches that much extra insight, but I think they wouldn't be the only coaches that would want to get their hands on these kids up close and personal. Do they vote on it or call dibs or flip a coin, I wonder?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If I was Bradford and the Rams drafted Clowney I'd ask for a trade while the Jags were still on the clock, we're poor at WR, TE and a guy I've never heard of is going to be my LT for a few guys next season and you take a 3rd DE?

byebyemalesmileysmileyemoticon000291large.gif

C'mon man, take this garbage to the post dispatch. You can't be serious. Our receivers will be fine and Jake Long will be our LT. At #2 overall, you take BPA.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Rams are scouting talent, but also the surrounding hype here. Snead said before the combine even that they would be looking at top QBs because if someone wants to trade for them, they have to know what they're worth. Part of the reason they've met with Bortles and Carr obviously.

I wouldn't mind Clowney at all, but I would love some premium picks and ANOTHER 1st next year if we could. :cool:

"Has a well known member" hahaha i just saw that, had me rolling :LOL::LOL:

C'mon man, take this garbage to the post dispatch. You can't be serious. Our receivers will be fine and Jake Long will be our LT. At #2 overall, you take BPA.

I'm going to assume that wasn't meant as offensive as it came across just because I'm not as high on our WRs as say 25 other teams and I'm not as confident in a player coming off a massive knee surgery and hasn't played a 16 game season in 3 years to make it through 16 games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I was Bradford and the Rams drafted Clowney I'd ask for a trade while the Jags were still on the clock, we're poor at WR, TE and a guy I've never heard of is going to be my LT for a few guys next season and you take a 3rd DE?

byebyemalesmileysmileyemoticon000291large.gif

We're poor at TE? No, we're not. We're pretty much set at TE with Cook, Kendricks, and Harkey. The Rams just invested a top 10 pick in a WR last year as well as an additional 3rd in a WR that recorded 25 TDs in 2012 in CFB.

If I were Bradford and the Rams took Clowney, I'd thank whatever I believed in that I don't have to line-up across from that guy. And then I'd eagerly await what the Rams had planned with their other 3 top 75 picks.

As for LT, I highly doubt Long will miss any games. But if he does, we did re-sign a guy named Saffold...

We're poor at TE? No, we're not. We're pretty much set at TE with Cook, Kendricks, and Harkey. The Rams just invested a top 10 pick in a WR last year as well as an additional 3rd in a WR that recorded 25 TDs in 2012 in CFB.

If I were Bradford and the Rams took Clowney, I'd thank whatever I believed in that I don't have to line-up across from that guy. And then I'd eagerly await what the Rams had planned with their other 3 top 75 picks.

As for LT, I highly doubt Long will miss any games. But if he does, we did re-sign a guy named Saffold...

You think Cook is a good TE?

I like Austin and Bailey and I'd still take 25 team's WRs over ours.

You highly doubt that a player who has not played a full season since 2010 is going to miss any games? What happens in the second half of the game we're forced to play Saffold at LT?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think Cook is a good TE?

I think he's starting caliber.

I like Austin and Bailey and I'd still take 25 team's WRs over ours.

Well, our WRs are young and unproven. But I'm not really sure why people think the best solution is to just add another young and unproven WR rather than trying to give some of our young guys a chance to show what they're made of.

You highly doubt that a player who has not played a full season since 2010 is going to miss any games? What happens in the second half of the game we're forced to play Saffold at LT?

We go from a top 5 LT to an average LT. Which seems like a great solution to me considering we're talking about a BACKUP plan here.

You rarely go from a Pro Bowl caliber starter to a Pro Bowl caliber backup. Typically, when your backup is in, it means there's a drop in quality.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the LG spot and grabbing some depth than the LT spot right now.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'm going to assume that wasn't meant as offensive as it came across just because I'm not as high on our WRs as say 25 other teams and I'm not as confident in a player coming off a massive knee surgery and hasn't played a 16 game season in 3 years to make it through 16 games.
I think that if Clowney is there at 2, Rams trade the pick and take Oline! There will be a team who wants him bad!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Gotta say, I would be pretty geeked up if the Rams were to take Clowney. I may not think it is the most rational choice but holy shit would that be a scary pass rush. Not only that but I live in shecock territory. Every shecock fan I talk to is worried about us taking him. For the trash talking before the season alone, that would be a great pick for me personally. And really - do we honestly think we couldn't design a defense around having our front 7 being Long, Quinn, JL, Brockers, Tree, Hayes, Clowney? And look at the rotations we could play with.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Gotta say, I would be pretty geeked up if the Rams were to take Clowney. I may not think it is the most rational choice but holy crap would that be a scary pass rush. Not only that but I live in shecock territory. Every shecock fan I talk to is worried about us taking him. For the trash talking before the season alone, that would be a great pick for me personally. And really - do we honestly think we couldn't design a defense around having our front 7 being Long, Quinn, JL, Brockers, Tree, Hayes, Clowney? And look at the rotations we could play with.
Back to the Fearsome Foursome days, baby! How fun would it be to relive that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Gotta say, I would be pretty geeked up if the Rams were to take Clowney. I may not think it is the most rational choice but holy crap would that be a scary pass rush. Not only that but I live in shecock territory. Every shecock fan I talk to is worried about us taking him. For the trash talking before the season alone, that would be a great pick for me personally. And really - do we honestly think we couldn't design a defense around having our front 7 being Long, Quinn, JL, Brockers, Tree, Hayes, Clowney? And look at the rotations we could play with.
We could go with the infamous 5-2 defense...
Quinn-Brockers-Hayes-Long-Clowney up front
and
JL and Tree with cleanup duty. :eek:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm not of the mind we should pass on o-line elite players when that is our weakness in order to further strengthen our strongest unit, that said IF we draft Clowney it will be entertaining to watch opposing offenses struggle.

I will also say this ,thus far Fisher and Snead have enjoyed pretty nice fan support,if we don't upgrade the o-line markedly and Sam gets hurt again, that fan support will erode .

We are currently in a phase where we are trying to prove and or discover whether Sam Bradford is our true franchise QB, can't imagine drafting Clowney will facilitate that.
My hope is that the Texans either draft Clowney or trade the pick to someone who does and the Clowney folks don't have that horse to beat until dead and then beat again and again and a g a i n.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'm going to go ahead and guess that if the Rams do take either Clowney or Watkins then they must have full confidence that Jake Long will be back to start the season. Otherwise, I just don't see them ignoring that when you have two elite like LT sitting there with Robinson and Matthews. Maybe they have confidence in Zach Martin or Lewan, but for me if I had any doubt at all, especially with Bradford coming back from injury you'd almost have to take a offensive lineman.

The Clowney pick at this point would be a luxury pick. Yes, it would be totally awesome to add him to our D-line, but considering that there is literally no LOG and possibly no LT on our team right now, I think our attention HAS to be put there and to get someone who can start right away. Let me ask you this, would you be satisified with our O-line now? And are you satisfied with our D-line right now? Which one are you more comfortable going forward with. And if you are satisfied with our O-line, consider the front 7's we have to play against.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I joke about the 52 defense, and Clowney would be fun.... but make no mistake, i'm still fully in the camp of get out of this draft with either Robinson or Matthews. Anything else would be foolhardy IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Typically, I'd agree that you don't pass up on a guy like Matthews when you need OL help. But Clowney is a rare breed. Guy is already 6'5" 266 with plenty of growth potential, has similar speed to NFL WRs, the strength to manhandle 300+ pound OLs, and agility of a much smaller man.

I couldn't pass on that unless I were trading down. He's too freakish and too rare. You look at what Waufle has done with our young DLs. The guy is arguably the best DL Coach in the NFL. Clowney, with his unreal athletic gifts and top tier technique, that sounds like a bad dream for NFL QBs. Now, you add in Robert Quinn on the other side of the DL to keep teams from being able to double team him...and you have the NFL's version of Nightmare on Elm Street for QBs.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Typically, I'd agree that you don't pass up on a guy like Matthews when you need OL help. But Clowney is a rare breed. Guy is already 6'5" 266 with plenty of growth potential, has similar speed to NFL WRs, the strength to manhandle 300+ pound OLs, and agility of a much smaller man.

I couldn't pass on that unless I were trading down. He's too freakish and too rare. You look at what Waufle has done with our young DLs. The guy is arguably the best DL Coach in the NFL. Clowney, with his unreal athletic gifts and top tier technique, that sounds like a bad dream for NFL QBs. Now, you add in Robert Quinn on the other side of the DL to keep teams from being able to double team him...and you have the NFL's version of Nightmare on Elm Street for QBs.

Yeah that dream/nightmare would be worse with Sam dreaming it,once again, drafting Clowney is a luxury at d-line when you are nearly impoverished at o-line,since you couldn't pass, we'll have to keep you out of the war room until the first round is over.

jap

Legend
Yeah that dream/nightmare would be worse with Sam dreaming it,once again, drafting Clowney is a luxury at d-line when you are nearly impoverished at o-line,since you couldn't pass, we'll have to keep you out of the war room until the first round is over.

I can't imagine Snisher going for Clowney unless they have a plan to move up to snare Matthews/Robinson.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have been beating the drum for O-line help this whole off season but I still don't think drafting Clowney would be a mistake. He has a chance to be an absolute beast and those are near impossible to find.