Snead and Fisher's drafts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Looking over these guys three draft classes you have to be happy with the results. Now these guys have had the luxury of having multiple first round picks in 2 of the three drafts and 3 second round picks in the first draft. They have their share of misses, so does every team and GM throughout the history of the league. I know Jrry would have had a better 2012 draft for us seeing that he wanted Alshon Jeffrey and TY Hilton. That being said all in all not bad. Only real bust is Pead. Jury is still out on Quick (had he stayed healthy and played like he did for a full season I would have called him a hit) and Tavon. I think Tavon can be a quality player if he were used like Desean and Hilton who are pretty close in size. The 2014 draft looks to be their best. I would say the third round is their best round. Trumaine, McDonald, Bailey, and Mason. Also you have to factor in the success of the UDFAs like Hekker, McLeod, Harkey. Here are Snead/Fisher's draft classes:
Michael Brockers
Brian Quick
Janoris Jenkins
Isaiah Pead
Trumaine Johnson
Chris Givens
Rok Watkins
Greg Zuerline
Aaron Brown
Daryl Richardson
Tavon Austin
Alec Ogletree
TJ McDonald
Stedman Bailey
Barrett Jones
Zac Stacy
Greg Robinson
Aaron Donald
Joyner
Tre Mason
Mo Alexander
EJ Gaines
Garrett Gilbert
Mitchell Van Dyk
Christian Bryant
Michael Sam
Demetrius Rhaney

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now look at Snead/Fisher's free agency moves. This hasn't gone as well. I think going forward the Rams are best off going after the under the radar type moves like we did this offseason. Signings like Hayes and Britt, low risk type signings. Guys like Langford and Cook aren't busts, but they haven't lived up to their contracts and free agents rarely do since teams have to overpay to bring them in. Jake Long was great in 2013, but he is damaged goods. Wells is good at line calls, but isn't a great blocker. Off the top of my head here are the Rams free agent classes under Snead and Fisher:
Courtland Finnagen
Scott Wells
Kendall Langford
William Hayes
Jo Lonn Dunbar
Steve Smith
Robert Turner
Barry Richardson
Quinn Ojinnakka
Matthew Muligan
Jared Cook
Jake Long
Kenny Britt
Alex Carrington
Shaun Hill
Davin Joseph

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
It's 3 years into the regime and we have 0 QB's.

Can't say it's all positive, but yes, for the most part it's been good

FRO

Legend

Too many holes to pick a QB in 2012. No QBs to pick in 2013. They should have done better at getting a QB in 2014, there is no denying that.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Now look at Snead/Fisher's free agency moves. This hasn't gone as well. I think going forward the Rams are best off going after the under the radar type moves like we did this offseason. Signings like Hayes and Britt, low risk type signings. Guys like Langford and Cook aren't busts, but they haven't lived up to their contracts and free agents rarely do since teams have to overpay to bring them in. Jake Long was great in 2013, but he is damaged goods. Wells is good at line calls, but isn't a great blocker. Off the top of my head here are the Rams free agent classes under Snead and Fisher:
Courtland Finnagen
Scott Wells
Kendall Langford
William Hayes
Jo Lonn Dunbar
Steve Smith
Robert Turner
Barry Richardson
Quinn Ojinnakka
Matthew Muligan
Jared Cook
Jake Long
Kenny Britt
Alex Carrington
Shaun Hill
Davin Joseph

I don't know.......Fro..... I think it could be argued that a lot of those free agents helped along the way...... maybe even still sit atop the depth chart at they're position. .... until we draft someone to replace them.... it's true that some don't have much left in the tank..... but in reality they are still on the team because you cannot fix everything in the draft.....and to be truthful. ...many were considered the best available at they're position that year...not just by Snead/Fisher.......but the whole NFL........and it's evaluators.......but I think we are definitely heading in the right direction. ......
Go Rams............ ;)

FRO

Legend
I don't know.......Fro..... I think it could be argued that a lot of those free agents helped along the way...... maybe even still sit atop the depth chart at they're position. .... until we draft someone to replace them.... it's true that some don't have much left in the tank..... but in reality they are still on the team because you cannot fix everything in the draft.....and to be truthful. ...many were considered the best available at they're position that year...not just by Snead/Fisher.......but the whole NFL........and it's evaluators.......but I think we are definitely heading in the right direction. ......
Go Rams............ ;)
There is a lot of truth to what you are saying. My overall point is free agency is a farce. You can't build a team through it. Most teams free agent classes suck.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Guess you could say Pead's a bust! Injury and people passing him up on the roster pretty much tells the tale! Hope he gets to play somewhere outside the division if he can!

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Too many holes to pick a QB in 2012. No QBs to pick in 2013. They should have done better at getting a QB in 2014, there is no denying that.
Which QB would you even want from '14 class?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I'd give them a B+, and I agree with the QB assessment..........we don't have one and it's all that this team needs. Yeah I know that OL is important and all that but if you put a top 10 QB on this roster the Rams are going deep in the playoffs. It's a big fat gaping hole and when they get that fixed, and I'm certain they will, this team is going to make other teams think "shit, we play the Rams next week".

FRO

Legend
Which QB would you even want from '14 class?
I liked Garapollo, Murray, and McCarron. Not saying any of them would be stars, but an Alex Smith type would be fine by me.

I wasn't advocating Bortles at 2 and definitely not Manziel anywhere in the first. I would have picked Teddy or Carr had they slipped in the second.

FRO

Legend
I'd give them a B+, and I agree with the QB assessment..........we don't have one and it's all that this team needs. Yeah I know that OL is important and all that but if you put a top 10 QB on this roster the Rams are going deep in the playoffs. It's a big fat gaping hole and when they get that fixed, and I'm certain they will, this team is going to make other teams think "crap, we play the Rams next week".
I think B+ is totally fair. I think our interior line and QB is our only glaring need. It sucks Bradford is injury prone. The guy has all the talent in the world, just can't stay on the field. Hope that changes or we find a QB in the draft.

rams56

Name
Steve
There is a lot of truth to what you are saying. My overall point is free agency is a farce. You can't build a team through it. Most teams free agent classes suck.

I agree with all of this mostly..... but I saw the free agent class that added Marshall Faulk......Adam Timmerman. ...and Mike Jones.....and how they all kind of pushed a very young team forward. ....not to mention Aeneas Williams a couple of years later. My philosophy is this you build what you can trough the draft but fill in through free agency. ...and every once in a while add that one piece that pushes you over the top....

Go Rams........... ;)

FRO

Legend
I agree with all of this mostly..... but I saw the free agent class that added Marshall Faulk......Adam Timmerman. ...and Mike Jones.....and how they all kind of pushed a very young team forward. ....not to mention Aeneas Williams a couple of years later. My philosophy is this you build what you can trough the draft but fill in through free agency. ...and every once in a while add that one piece that pushes you over the top....

Go Rams........... ;)
We traded for Faulk and Williams. But yes Timmerman/Green and the rest was a good free agent class.

rams56

Name
Steve
We traded for Faulk and Williams. But yes Timmerman/Green and the rest was a good free agent class.
Oooops....you are so right....sorry Fro...
Go Rams.......... ;)

Athos

Legend
I liked Garapollo, Murray, and McCarron. Not saying any of them would be stars, but an Alex Smith type would be fine by me.

I wasn't advocating Bortles at 2 and definitely not Manziel anywhere in the first. I would have picked Teddy or Carr had they slipped in the second.

Since they were already considering trading up for Zack Martin, maybe in hindsight they were have traded up for Teddy or Carr. Gotta tell ya, between Joyner and Teddy, or Carr, I'd prolly taket the QB every time.

But Jimmy Garoppolo was sitting right there without the need of a trade up too. In hindsight again, he could have been sitting this year and maybe even next to back up Sam.

What are you gonna do?

This team is just snakebiten at the position. Doesn't suck enough for the right QB or doesn't suck enough in the right year for the right QB or chooses to forgo the QB insurance all-together.

FRO

Legend
Since they were already considering trading up for Zack Martin, maybe in hindsight they were have traded up for Teddy or Carr. Gotta tell ya, between Joyner and Teddy, or Carr, I'd prolly taket the QB every time.

But Jimmy Garoppolo was sitting right there without the need of a trade up too. In hindsight again, he could have been sitting this year and maybe even next to back up Sam.

What are you gonna do?

This team is just snakebiten at the position. Doesn't suck enough for the right QB or doesn't suck enough in the right year for the right QB or chooses to forgo the QB insurance all-together.
Well we sucked too much around Sam was here. Now we are pretty good and we don't have the QB. Why couldn't we get both to line up at the same time?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks to be overall FAIR grade for three yrs in considering the recent past GM's in this area :confused: . Snead has a shown to be much better at this than many other GM's in the NFL So I am happy:)! I would consider the cap hit of these FA's into their overall game performance too.

Courtland Finnagen Poor
Scott Wells Fair to Poor
Kendall Langford Good
William Hayes Very Good
Jo Lonn Dunbar Fair
Steve Smith Fair
Robert Turner Fair
Barry Richardson Good
Quinn Ojinnakka Poor
Matthew Muligan Fair

Jared Cook Fair
Jake Long Fair to Poor

Kenny Britt Good
Alex Carrington Poor
Shaun Hill Good
Davin Joseph Fair

I sure do not look at the UFA period as a way to build your team in any fashion. Its a must when you have a roster full of sorry over priced players but as things start to build up through the #1-NFL Draft, #2-UDFA & #3-Latent talented WWC's ! The need to purchase overpriced over valued players diminishes.

Better to gamble in the three listed above than to jump on UFA's IMO. Snead will surely concentrate on his own known players than seeking the unknown. UFA Ram Players like Britt, Kendricks, Hekker, Barksdale, Hill & most likely Person. The Rams RFA's are a no brainer & easy to acquire if desired.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
I would consider the cap hit of these FA's into their overall game performance too.

Courtland Finnagen Poor
Scott Wells Fair to Poor
Kendall Langford Good
William Hayes Very Good
Jo Lonn Dunbar Fair
Steve Smith Fair
Robert Turner Fair
Barry Richardson Good
Quinn Ojinnakka Poor
Matthew Muligan Fair

Jared Cook Fair
Jake Long Fair to Poor

Kenny Britt Good
Alex Carrington Poor
Shaun Hill Good
Davin Joseph Fair

Looks to be overall FAIR grade for three yrs in considering the recent past GM's in this area :confused: . Snead has a shown to be much better at this than many other GM's in the NFL So I am happy:)!
Fair as dement by you, but free agency is a losing proposition. Most everybody on here agrees with that, until free agency starts and we sign nobody and all whine like babies.

Linehan signed some of the worst free agent classes of all time.