Snapping the ball when defenses are offsides

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I keep forgetting to mention this. But as I go through last year's games out of sheer boredom it just occurs over and over and over. Can we get a SNAP of the ball when defenses are offsides please? It's a free shot ffs. Take the shot.

This has to be something they need to work in prep for the season right? Has anyone noticed that type of drill or focus or even tendency this year to do that?

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
No drills noticed with regards to your question.

Should be SOP in my book.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think the biggest concern is that it may not be called. Which could cause problems if the QB isn't ready for it.

But, yeah. Why pass up a free play?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
FWIW I have noticed that Rob Havenstein is THE BEST Rams Olineman I've seen at getting the encroachment flag. If someone on the DL jumps into the neutral zone, Hav is consistent about breaking out of his stance and engaging the guy-- thus forcing the ref to throw the flag. Most other OL guys just remain like a statue, letting the DL retreat back to their side of the line of scrimmage. But Hav is savvy enough to force the issue and draw the flag.

Hav consistently gets the flag on this year in and year out, a handful of times each season.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I said that after every game last year. Don't stand up and point at the guy, snap the fricken ball and take a free shot down the field.

oldnotdead

Legend
OL guys just remain like a statue, letting the DL retreat back to their side of the line of scrimmage.

It's all part of the crap OL coaching I've spent the last couple of years talking about. Every OL coach I know with the exception of Kromer would preach that if the D jumps offsides you reach out and touch him, sometimes harder than others. That should have been SOP between Blythe and Goff, i.e. taught by Kromer. Kromer couldn't teach himself how to get his head out of his ass.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the QB doesn't see it then its the Oline's job to make contact. Opposing QBs see it often and get a free play out of it, or maybe its by accident. I hope Stafford is good at noticing it.

oldnotdead

Legend
I agree totally Elm but there have been times where both Blythe and Goff saw it but Blythe never snapped the ball even though he had time to do so. But it is clear the OL in general hasn't been coached up on this. Hopefully, Carberry will rectify this.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I think Strafford will be better at it than Jared. Time will tell.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with @oldnotdead its on the previous OLC and players. What seems like a no-brainer could also be a disaster if o-line isnt up to the task. 1) they can not be set and get hit with the false start themselves, or 2) play continues and D has wide open shot at QB

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with @oldnotdead its on the previous OLC and players. What seems like a no-brainer could also be a disaster if o-line isnt up to the task. 1) they can not be set and get hit with the false start themselves, or 2) play continues and D has wide open shot at QB
One thing you see with Green Bay/Rodgers is if there's a free rusher he spikes the ball and ends the play. With a QB who is aggressive like Stafford I have to think doing that will net you a big play every few times or so it happens. I'll take that possibility every time it happens tbh even with the risks involved.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
One thing you see with Green Bay/Rodgers is if there's a free rusher he spikes the ball and ends the play. With a QB who is aggressive like Stafford I have to think doing that will net you a big play every few times or so it happens. I'll take that possibility every time it happens tbh even with the risks involved.
Absolutely it is the top tier QB's generally making this happen.
I think it changes this year.