Smarter Stats: Sacks don't tell the whole story of NFL's best pass rushers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/10/22/nfl-week-8-pass-rushing-stats-jj-watt-von-miller-brian-robison

Sacks are overrated. There, we said it.

Last season, Minnesota’s Brian Robison had nine quarterback sacks in 989 total defensive snaps. A decent number, to be sure, but some may have wondered why the Vikings rewarded a player who had never hit double-digit sacks in any of his seven NFL seasons with a five-year, $32.4 million contract extension in 2013. Through seven games of the 2014 campaign, Robison has 0.5 sacks, which would seem to mark a relative failure. But here’s the thing: Robison affects opposing quarterbacks in other ways, and he does so as well as any other defender in the league. In 2013, he led all defensive players in quarterback hurries, according to Pro Football Focus, with 63. And this season, only Cincinnati’s Wallace Gilberry has more hurries (20) than Robison’s 19.

It makes a difference. Hurries affect the timing of pass plays, even if those plays aren’t shut down as they are with sacks. For example, Drew Brees has seven interceptions in 2014, and five of them have come while under pressure. His completion percentage drops from 67.7 percent to 52.4 when he’s pressured, and he’s tied with Houston’s Ryan Fitzpatrick with six plays in which he’s hit as he’s throwing the ball. If you affect the quarterback’s timing, no matter how good he is, the effectiveness of the offense you’re facing will be altered.

Everybody knows that J.J. Watt was the NFL’s most dominant defensive player in 2013, and he’s on pace to be even more amazing in 2014. But Watt’s effectiveness is about more than sacks, batted passes, obvious run stops and other splash plays. Last season, Watt led the league with an amazing 36 quarterback hits in 998 snaps. He had 10.5 sacks, which was seen as a downturn in overall pressure from the 20.5 sacks Watt put up in 2012. But when you factor in those 36 hits and his 38 hurries, Watt’s pressure percentage of 8.4 was actually better than the 7.9 he had the year before, when he finished with 20.5 takedowns, 25 hits and 30 hurries. This season, however… well, he’s playing at an entirely different level, with a 9.8 pressure percentage (five sacks, 22 hits and 19 hurries on 470 snaps). Watt’s perceived value is insane because he can get pressure from any gap and in the face of double-teams, but when you add in the fact that he’s providing some sort of pressure on nearly one in 10 offensive plays — well, that’s not really even human. His five sacks tell so little of the story.

Just because a player doesn’t get all the way to the quarterback doesn’t mean that he isn’t doing his job as a pass-rusher. Conversely, just because he is picking up big sack numbers doesn’t mean that he’s maxing out his defensive efficiency. And things can change from season to season. Consider the case of defensive end Willie Young, who moved from Detroit to Chicago this past offseason when the Bears signed him to a three-year, $9 million contract. It was a major bargain when you consider Young’s numbers in 2013 — yes, he had just three sacks, but he put up eight hits and 48 hurries. This season, only Denver’s Von Miller has more sacks this season than Young’s seven. However, Young’s total pressures are way down — just one hit and six hurries.

Pressure is relative in the NFL, and sacks don’t even come close to telling the whole story.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
2RnCqFt.png

fNct1rJ.png

dh825a0.png

jap

Legend
You ought to also factor in the number of times a player is held. :sneaky:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
And people wonder why we call Chris Long an elite DE. He's always at the top of the leader board in hurries. He's always around the QB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And people wonder why we call Chris Long an elite DE. He's always at the top of the leader board in hurries. He's always around the QB.
I don't know if I'd call him elite, but he's totally among the league's top defensive ends, and brings more to the table than some fans give him credit for. For some reason, CL's been under scrutiny by fans since he was drafted. First the issue was he didn't get enough sacks. Then when he got the sacks, it became his liability against the run. And when people bring up his pressures, fans claim it's a pointless stat. I just don't get it. Dude's been solid as hell since he was drafted, and that's just not good enough for some people I guess.

jap

Legend

During Chris Long's peformance in the NFL Combine before his rookie season, he ran the 20-yard shuttle faster than every other defensive lineman, including Vernon Ghoulston, who was supposed to be a speed monster. Chris is a turbo Energizer Bunny who goes as fast & hard in the 4th quarter as he does in the 1st. Without Chris as a role model, The Mighty Quinn may have never reached his present status.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't know if I'd call him elite, but he's totally among the league's top defensive ends, and brings more to the table than some fans give him credit for. For some reason, CL's been under scrutiny by fans since he was drafted. First the issue was he didn't get enough sacks. Then when he got the sacks, it became his liability against the run. And when people bring up his pressures, fans claim it's a pointless stat. I just don't get it. Dude's been solid as hell since he was drafted, and that's just not good enough for some people I guess.

Most of the people who rag on Long are either agenda driven because they wanted a different player, or they just don't know shit about football.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
At least the people who get it understand why we have the best DL in football even if we don't have the most sacks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“Well, Chris Long, I think a lot of people have had those kinds of days against him. Regardless of where they were in the last year in the past, which is irrelevant. That guy is a rollling ball of butcher knives, plays with great leverage. A quick, explosive, again, he’s a leverage player. He knows how to play leverage. He gives a lot of people fits. He’s got a great bull-rush. He’s worn out some guys, really bad. He challenges you more than a lot of guys because of his ability to play with quickness and leverage. A lot of those kind of guys, you don’t run across a ton of them, but they just give you fist sometimes. So, you’ve got to be on your game. They do a nice job of how they use him. I think they do a great job with how they use all of their players.”

-- Greg Roman, 49ers DC

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Thank you! Chris Long is by far my favorite Ram right now. I thought most people don't like him because of his contract size which I think is ridiculous. The dude is a leader and a very good football player. I do not want him to leave this team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I thought most people don't like him because of his contract size
Well yeah, there's that too. As if paying him less than what the league commands for a player of his stature is a viable option. The alternative to extending him prior to him reaching free agency would have been to let him test the waters and possibly lose him. Leaving us with only William Hayes (who I think is awesome, but isn't a long-term solution).

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Most of the people who rag on Long are either agenda driven because they wanted a different player, or they just don't know crap about football.
Those are generally the same people, that think wins are a great way to evaluate a pitcher.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
At least the people who get it understand why we have the best DL in football even if we don't have the most sacks.
This is a great statement.
Teams started to change their offense to counter our pass rush. The team's that didn't, got beat.

P. Manning thought he could take 3 seconds before getting the ball out. He paid dearly.

The Chargers and P. Rivers had the ball out in 2 seconds or less all day. They stuck with mostly short, quick passes. It kept Rivers on his feet. We didn't have the time to get to him and they didn't have the time for 5 step drop plays.