Smart Aggression

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I've noticed several ways this team is coached that bothers me. Below is my list:

Kill Shots: I lost count of how many times a defender would lay out like a missle to take out a ball carrier but simply bounce off while the offense gained extra yards. Wrap the hell up men.

Jumping the snap on D: the dline has a nasty habit of trying to gain advantage by timing the snap. When it works you make the highlight reel. Otherwise it's a first down waiting to happen for the offense.

Extra shots after the whistle: It just doesn't look like GW learned anything from Bountygate.

Running plays that require every man to win up front: There are times it looks like the Rams are telegraphing "here it comes, see if you can stop it." Um, they can.

Blitzkrieg to big plays: Hey Gregg, take a hint from Haslett - not getting home on a blitz leaves the back end exposed. Why do it 80% of the time even on running plays?

Block to prevent disaster when beaten: I can see this on occasion but does it have to be a general rule even on special teams?

When Fisher was hired, I was excited to get a nasty team everyone feared to play. This looks to me like a nasty team I fear to watch.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The shoulder hits without wrapping up are very troubling, I would rather see a wrap up and drag em down than the hard hit that results in another missed tackle.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Seriously, conservative hits aren't going to kill you, but if you judged based solely on our team you'd think it would. They absolutely refuse to wrap their guys up, they let that sack city and legion of boom stuff get to their heads and they start trying to lay people out or go for that highlight reel boom, but then they just bounce off or fling right past them and the guys gain more yards than they ever should.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
All those kill shots looked pretty good against Denver last year.

Alan

Legend
Kill shots always look good when they work. The problem is the math that relates to how often they work. I've been talking about this subject for some time now and while everything I've said before has turned out to be true, I've also seen some evidence of improvement. Specifically, Gaines and Roberson. It's not all dark cloud.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Agreed.

It seems like the Spangnuolo era was marked by a devotion to the fundamentals without dynamics. They form tackled, but they weren't aggressive enough to dictate tempo.

The Fisher era, thus far, has been a complete 180 - all violence, short on fundamentals.

I think we need to find a happy medium.

FRO

Legend
I'm all for kill shots, but if you go for it you better connect. Make the play, if you can knock the guy out doing it, then by all means. The bottom line is making the tackle. It doesn't matter if you knock him or play boring. It's like the NBA, everybody wants to be like Mike. If you can great, but if not your team suffers and guys like Timmy D keep getting rings by playing it boring.

V3

Hall of Fame
All those kill shots looked pretty good against Denver last year.
Sure, they look great when it works. How about all the other games? That Minnesota and TB game made me want to puke last year. There are others, as well.

The point is, tackling the proper way isn't going to make this team any worse. In fact, my money is on that they'll do much better.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure, they look great when it works. How about all the other games? That Minnesota and TB game made me want to puke last year. There are others, as well.

The point is, tackling the proper way isn't going to make this team any worse. In fact, my money is on that they'll do much better.

remember when the patriots lbers would tackle a rb a decade ago. they would drop him in his tracks. wouldn't make another inch, let alone yards. great technique, no rushing in, just being in the right position to make a tackle.

V3

Hall of Fame
Of that list, my two biggest gripes are by far the horrible tackling because they want a kill shot and the non-stop stupid blitzes by GW. When teams know you're going to blitz, it's not hard to counter. Teams did it quite a bit to the Rams last year. When you also play your defenders 10+ yards off the receivers, it makes it even easier.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

It was just an anecdotal observation.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's week"2" of the pre season, give them a chance to get their Timing down!

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
GW lives and dies by the blitz, a good QB can beat the blitz if you use it too often,,,(see Rams).

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of that list, my two biggest gripes are by far the horrible tackling because they want a kill shot and the non-stop stupid blitzes by GW. When teams know you're going to blitz, it's not hard to counter. Teams did it quite a bit to the Rams last year. When you also play your defenders 10+ yards off the receivers, it makes it even easier.
I agree with you... but this is the time to practice blitzing (pre-season).

If it persists in game one? Yeah, then off with GW's head! :LOL:

Alan

Legend
Alan talking about the good old days:
I've also seen some evidence of improvement. Specifically, Gaines and Roberson. It's not all dark cloud.
I was talking about the progress they made last year so naturally Roberson completely wiffs on a tackle against the Titans just to make me look stupid. So I told this story to my 13 year old daughter and she immediately said "superfluous" (a word I just taught her last week) right Dad? I doubt she makes it to 14. :LOL:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alan talking to himself: :eek:
I was talking about the progress they made last year so naturally Roberson completely wiffs on a tackle against the Titans just to make me look stupid. So I told this story to my 13 year old daughter and she immediately said "superfluous" (a word I just taught her last week) right Dad? I doubt she makes it to 14. :LOL: