Slow and Off the Mark Shotgun Snaps?????

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Oline 110% needs to be upgraded. I'd LOVE someone to put a highlight video of every Gurley touch, then watch every touch from Elliot. This difference in point of contact is huge. Gurley is the key to us havin a decent to good offense under Fisher, and we won't get that with the crap blocking he gets.

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
I think it's all the OLine. Seems like last year they did pretty good run blocking and it's as if they worked on pass blocking this past off season and now forgot how to run block. Gurley runs better when Keenum under center with or without a blocking back.

fearsomefour

Legend
I do remember the low snaps coming after he was down and came back in....may be related, compensating, or may not. May not have happened that way either. Monday morning memory can be foggy.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Off Topic BUT .. How many of you "Loved it" When you saw Hekker, step up and line up behind Center like he was going to take a snap as a QB!!?! I DID!!!(y):D I WENT :wow:For about 3 seconds, until he didn't!:(

Bruce2980

Starter
IMO teams just don't fear Keenum so they play the run every down and dare us to beat them. Keenum throws a few good passes and gets some yards but can't score so they don't panic. They blitzed the crap out of us in the second half but somehow that's the olines fault when Keenum doesn't recognize it and takes a sack or throws it in the dirt.
Teams dont' respect Keenum and playing the run every down or blitzing every down because Keenum has a horrible passer rating while being blitzed and pressured. I'm not sure what would happen, but if I were a defense playing this team I would stack the box with 8, or 9 men on every play, and blitz every hole looking for run and if it's not there get Keenum. This team wouldn't know what the hell to do. I think Keenum has like a 20 QBR when under pressure.

Bruce2980

Starter
One of Gurley best runs today came behind Harkey lead blocking.
I wouldn't mind seeing more lead blocking with a FB. Wear the defense down early and open up some lanes foe Gutley.
They tried that against San Fran, and all the 9ers did was follow the motion to the side or follow the lead blocker and poured three or four defenders in the whole. So that doesn't work for this team, especially with the blocking scheme of the o-line seems to be, letting the first five defenders free, and then missing the next five defenders that are supposed to get blocked. That allows ten defenders in Gurley's grill. Not a good plan in my book, but hey, I don't make $6 mil per year coaching, so what the hell do I know:D

Bruce2980

Starter
I think, at least for me, that from a troubleshooting standpoint, Keenum is the last, easiest, most obvious piece to swap out. At least for now. Over the last several years we've had a few coordinators, lots of o line attempts, a decent run game, lots of different guys at wr. What we've never changed is having a backup level guy at qb. When Bradford was here, uninjured, etc, he did ok. He was serviceable. Maybe more. Not really the point. Other than sub par qb play, we've swapped out everything. If you're trying to fix a computer problem or a car, or anything else, you slowly swap out one piece at a time until you fix things.

That's how I see it anyway. We've basically changed everything but the qb, because Keenum, Hill, Davis, and whoever are all basically the same guy. Career backup, known quantity. Injured Bradford basically plays at that level. Keith null and Kyle Boller were that guy. It's the only thing we haven't tried to make a change to.

Otherwise, I totally get what you're saying. I just feel that logically, getting someone in there who we could assume (or at least guess) isn't the problem, would allow us to troubleshoot the offense better.
I agree with you but I would add that the O-Line coach has to GO PERIOD. This o-line looked better yesterday, later in the game, but I noticed that the O-Line was doing more plowing than finesse bull crap that 330 lb guys are built for. These are bulldozers up front, not ballerinas, they need to quite dancing and start bull dozing guys out of the way to create small gaps for Gurley. And who is the freaking idiot that designs these damn plays that Gurley is supposed to dance around a guy that goes unblocked by design, behind the line of scrimmage no less? That crap needs to stop. That 3rd down and one play where Gurley was hit five yards behind the line, because of a missed block on design? There killin' me man. That's not Keenum, and I am no Keenum fan that's for sure. Start Manion if Goff is that terrible.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I hate seeing us hand off to Gurley when Case is in the shotgun. We try that way too much and it's fooling nobody... plus, Gurley doesn't have as much time to get up to speed or find holes. We need to remove that type of run from our gameplan if you're asking me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
We going to keep blaming everyone else except Keenum? He had one maybe 2 bad snaps big deal Keenum can't keep his eyes down field when he gets pressure he plays scared and it has nothing to do with the oline

It was very clear that one play where they blitzed and instead of stepping forward in the pocket and slinging it he dove forward head first expecting to be sacked, tried to catch his balance because he didn't get sacked and fell to the ground. Case scared.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I saw one that appeared to be late and to the left. I'll watch the game again but I didn't notice this last game nor did I notice it this game.

I felt like there were several this game. Keenum handles them so well it's something you have to look for. When I rewatch, I'm going to count.

This is one of my biggest worries when Goff comes in. In preseason he really struggled with bad snaps that could have been handled.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It was very clear that one play where they blitzed and instead of stepping forward in the pocket and slinging it he dove forward head first expecting to be sacked, tried to catch his balance because he didn't get sacked and fell to the ground. Case scared.

To step in the pocket and sling, you need both a pocket and a target. When I rewatch I'm going to look at this.

Calling a guy that tuff scared isn't fair to him. He's been pretty damn good at getting out of bad situations and making plays. Do you think a rook will do better?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
IMO teams just don't fear Keenum so they play the run every down and dare us to beat them. Keenum throws a few good passes and gets some yards but can't score so they don't panic. They blitzed the crap out of us in the second half but somehow that's the olines fault when Keenum doesn't recognize it and takes a sack or throws it in the dirt.
Its not like the Rams are the only team in the league where fans think the QB is the goat for every poor play, Keenum gets his share but he also steps up and takes those on. The difference I see in some of those other teams is they still have the ability to run the ball to some degree. Look at the Jets yesterday, 5.6 per rush. Forte is good but I still think Gurley is superior

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
To step in the pocket and sling, you need both a pocket and a target. When I rewatch I'm going to look at this.

Calling a guy that tuff scared isn't fair to him. He's been pretty damn good at getting out of bad situations and making plays. Do you think a rook will do better?

There was enough of a pocket for him to stumble around for a minute. I wouldn't be able to say if Goff would have done better but it could of been a good lesson for him to learn from. wasn't Case on record saying he was seeing ghosts during a game, how do we know that's not still happening.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Off Topic BUT .. How many of you "Loved it" When you saw Hekker, step up and line up behind Center like he was going to take a snap as a QB!!?! I DID!!!(y):D I WENT :wow:For about 3 seconds, until he didn't!:(
I liked it but they have to do it from a better circumstance and at some point he has to actually take a snap

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Speaking of which, how many snaps does Keenum take under center? sure looks to me the majority are out of the gun (which has become common in the nfl these days)

RamzFanz

Damnit
There was enough of a pocket for him to stumble around for a minute. I wouldn't be able to say if Goff would have done better but it could of been a good lesson for him to learn from. wasn't Case on record saying he was seeing ghosts during a game, how do we know that's not still happening.

Could be. As I remember, he stumbled out to his left, but I'm not sure until I look again.

I think you're being overly harsh. He didn't stumble around for a minute, he avoided a sack and then either tripped or lost his balance. No one can deny he's had pretty solid pocket awareness and has made a good number of impressive escapes.

Yes, if Fisher doesn't start Goff and we lose again, the season is over and it would be senseless not to let the kid get some game time, IMHO. I would have started Goff after the bye, but that's not a slight on Keenum, it's the last bullet we have.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Could be. As I remember, he stumbled out to his left, but I'm not sure until I look again.

I think you're being overly harsh. He didn't stumble around for a minute, he avoided a sack and then either tripped or lost his balance. No one can deny he's had pretty solid pocket awareness and has made a good number of impressive escapes.

Yes, if Fisher doesn't start Goff and we lose again, the season is over and it would be senseless not to let the kid get some game time, IMHO. I would have started Goff after the bye, but that's not a slight on Keenum, it's the last bullet we have.

I didn't mean literally a minute (60 seconds), come on now lol. It was enough time to make a throw had he been standing up.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I didn't mean literally a minute (60 seconds), come on now lol. It was enough time to make a throw had he been standing up.

I forget that a minute in CA speak is an indeterminate amount of time. My CA buddy used to say that and 15 minutes later I'd be like, didn't you say you'd be here in a minute?

Yes, it was enough time had he not lost his balance/tripped and assuming anyone was open. It pales in comparison of how many times he's escaped and made a play though.

Last edited:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I forget that a minute in CA speak is an indeterminate amount of time. My buddy used to say that and 15 minutes later I'd be like, didn't you say you'd be here in a minute?

Yes, it was enough time had he not lost his balance/tripped and assuming anyone was open. It pales in comparison of how many times he's escaped and made a play though.

We'd have to watch it again, could swear he dove forward when he could have just stepped forward on this play. He is a scrappy sob I'll give him that, but after the whole seeing ghosts thing whenever I see plays like this it makes me think he's still seeing them.