Slide Rule

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I freaking hate that rule. If a qb wants to run he should have to face the same consequences as any other player. There's nothing worse than seeing him run to get a 1st down then sit on his arse. He should be punished every time he tries to run it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Anyone should be able to slide to avoid a hit in my opinion. If you don't want to fight for the extra yard and instead want to avoid getting hit, so be it. Bruce was very good at avoiding big hits, and I think that extends a players playing time.

That being said, as soon as a QB tucks it to run, if he pulls it back out to pass again or not, he should be free to get knocked out like any other player, all protection should be gone once the ball gets tucked.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I get why they have the rule there aren't enough quality QBs available as it is. What I hate more it the way the choose to or not to enforce it. For example the way they picked up the flag against the hags. If the QB slides and you hit him AT ALL it is a penalty. There is no interpreting it is a penalty. SMH

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
A running QB shouldn't get special treatment because he's a QB. But I always loved that flag when Bradford slid so I'm for it.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I agree that a QB should not be provided the protection the rule gives on a "Designed run play". However, if the QB goes down like Wilson did, then you still can't hit a defenseless player while they are on the ground. So, dunno .... what do you do?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I have no problem with the rule but the refs need to enforce it more consistently. It seems like some QBs are down where they initiate the slide while a select few are given the full distance of where they slid.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I hate that they don't have to be touched to be called down.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think the QMs like it more than anyone. It protects their costly investment.

I wish we had a qb.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Speaking of slide rules, how many here have seen one, let alone actually used one?:bueller:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Speaking of slide rules, how many here have seen one, let alone actually used one?:bueller:
LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom that was the first thought after reading the title.

You just were the first nerd to say it :)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
What pisses me off are the QBs who intentionally try and slide at the very last second to try and draw the flag. I've seen the midget in Seadderall try this bogus move. The refs will throw flags on this at times and it's bullshit. The defender can't stop in mid tackle. It fucking drives me crazy pissed when I see this.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Me too - ESPECIALLY when it's Wilson. Definitely preferential treatment.

But, back to sliderules... :cautious:

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
There should be something given up on the Qb's part. For example, a punt returner can catch a ball by asking for "Fair Catch" and the defense can't youch him. However, he gives up his right to advance the ball. I would really like to see something like this implemented for QB's, especially designed run plays. What ticks me off is that Wilsons' run this past weekend was a designed run from the start of the play ; he immediately tucked the ball and ran around left end for a nice gain and as soon as the defenders showed up he slid down. That's whack!

jjab360

Legend
A running QB shouldn't get special treatment because he's a QB. But I always loved that flag when Bradford slid so I'm for it.
Anyone should be able to slide to avoid a hit in my opinion. If you don't want to fight for the extra yard and instead want to avoid getting hit, so be it. Bruce was very good at avoiding big hits, and I think that extends a players playing time.

That being said, as soon as a QB tucks it to run, if he pulls it back out to pass again or not, he should be free to get knocked out like any other player, all protection should be gone once the ball gets tucked.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure any position is allowed to use the slide rule, it just happens the QBs are mostly the only ones who use it. Therefore I don't think this rule falls under the "preferential treatment for QBs" category..