Sizing Up the Cards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Cards haven't faced a pass rush like ours all year. In fact, the Niners are by far the best blitzing/pass rushing team they've played. I think it's easily safe to say our front four is a lot better than the Niners, right now. Niners have to blitz with LB's if J. Smith isn't dominating to get pressure.

Cards fans beleive they have a good OL based off of who they've played. Far as I know, prior to last game, Niners have the best OL in the division and it's not even close. Now if you're second guessing statement, need I remind you the Niners dominated both sides of the trenches just three weeks ago on MNF. The difference was Williams Williams spread out his blitz. In other words, he didn't just send several between the tackles. The created a little breathing room for Donald and Brockers to pus the pocket. And boy did they ever push it. Kap was flustered all game.

Carson Palmer has been allowed to sit rather pretty in that pocket all season. He has good WR's so it doesnt take long find one.

If the Rams can mowe through the likes of Joe Staley, Iupati, Boone, Davis, and whoever their rookie center is, we can apply a ton of pressure by just bring and disguising 5 or 6 max. Not to mention Palmer is a lame duck in regards to avoiding the pass rush in comparence to the last three QB's we've seen. Even A. Smith makes him look like a statue.

Here's What to Expext From ARZ

A ton of short crossing patters with the occasional deep route. A screens and plenty of slants should be the theme. I suspect their running game to be non-existsnt unless they start opening up the Pass. (RB's don't kill us, the mobile passers do... and Patterson.)

What scares me

In the Niners game, we saw some very soft coverages at the snap. Kapernick seemed to ignore this and go guns blazing, anyway. I expect Palmer to do the opposite. He'll take those coverages all day because he knows not outrunning anybody. Of course if Palmer makes that too clear, he's gonna be trying to run down CB's. We can't get too cute with the trap passes, IDK if the secondary is ready. The LB's looked good with their disguises last week.

Rams Offense

All in all, Farr was right when he said this game is on Davis unless we get some points off ST's and defense. His ball is gonna be coming out fast, too.

ARZ plays D in a very similar manner to us. However, their ability to stop the run is equal to our ability to rush the passer. It is out of absolute neccessity that Austin Davis maintains his composure and knows his hot routes. He's gonna be dinking and dunking all game long, if we're lucky. If we're unlucky, the defense will play the whole game. I have faith in our ability to run, but there's not gonna but much up the middle on these guys. We gotta to some tricky crap with Tavon on end arounds and screens to throw the defense off balance. Then we run plenty of play actions and hope Davis doesn't crap his pants. The opportunities will be there to have some deep completions. Whether or not Davis can either find the right man or even get the ball to him, on time, is a entirely different.

Conclusion

After doing this analysis, I confess I'm slightly less optimistic about our offense but equally optimistic about our defense. I just hope Scotty does put our players in a position to succeed and doesn't call a super generic game. The guy is so hit and miss. But in the end, we have just as good of a chance at winning as they do. It's about which QB can handle the heat better.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice summary. Some notes...

On defense the Cards achieve their great run defense with a constant heavy box and I believe Fish mentioned this recently. This is part of the reason why they have given up passing yards, but they have made up for it by forcing turnovers. Still, their defense can be had through the air and when Davis sees favorable matchups which he's going to he is going to have plenty of chances to go over the top on them.

Good example is deep passes given up 40+ yards. Cards have allowed 7, Rams for reference 3. But in INTs they are 2nd overall with 12, and for reference the Rams have 3. Their CBs are significantly more dangerous than our own to throw on. Big risk, man to man approach which to date has been something Davis plays very well against btw and hopefully the WRs are ready to go because he is gonna put that ball up for them.

The Cards offense is doing a great job protecting the QB so I think it's great that you point out the competition they have faced. You may well be right, but I will concede Palmer is playing very well too, and that ball is coming out quick when it needs to. Also of note is that they are extremely balanced pass/run at around 56% pass (only a few teams are better I think) and that is a big part of the fact they have only given up 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles since teams often don't know what's coming. Arians is very, very good in that way clearly.

Still when you look at their production in pass and run offensively they aren't a huge matchup nightmare. Their running game has averaged 3.4 per carry, our own is better. The reason they are winning is their turnover differential. That, my friends, can change quickly if for example the Rams come in there and stuff the run right away, putting Palmer into third and long early and often.

Basically if the Rams' defense plays with the intensity it showed in SF this game is winnable. They are capable of forcing punts and turnovers with that type of performance. So yeah I also think Farr nailed it. This game is going to come down to Davis to a great extent, how he anticipates the blitzes he will see a lot of, and how he reads and makes decisions. I really hope they let him play, let him sling it and do what he does when he's at his best, because if that Davis shows up this could be a really fun game to watch.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Cards fans beleive they have a good OL based off of who they've played. Far as I know, prior to last game, Niners have the best OL in the division and it's not even close.

Not this year. Gave up six sacks to Denver, that's 14 in two games. And third most in NFL in 2014.

Arizona still has problems on the interior, but they were lining up the worst starting OTs in the NFL last year. Veldheer is ten times better than what they had. Massie is still on the right side.

Favorable matchup for Donald and Hayes, but not for Quinn.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They are very well coached, they don't make mistakes and their defense because of the CB's is one of the best in the NFL, IMHO. Cook & Kendricks will have to have big games along with the running game. Plus Greg Zuerlein needs to be dead accurate as I am concerned about the Ram kicker as of late.

BadCompany

Rookie
They are very well coached, they don't make mistakes and their defense because of the CB's is one of the best in the NFL, IMHO. Cook & Kendricks will have to have big games along with the running game. Plus Greg Zuerlein needs to be dead accurate as I am concerned about the Ram kicker as of late.

I agree, especially on Zuerlein, and the special teams in general actually. I think this will be a game that Tavon Austin can win all by himself. Or at least be a key part of the overall result. I'm not confident that our offense can mount any long, deep drives, so field position and field goals might come into play. I expect the Cardinal offense to work the short middle to death, meaning our linebackers will really have to step up, and I'm not overly confident on that either. I could see the Cards putting together a lot of long, 7 minute drives. So if Austin can shorten the field we can match them in points, if not in time of possession and total yards.

We'll have to win this one ugly, I think. But they don't ask how, they ask how many, right?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Don't discount the fact that they've gotten to this point without Carson Palmer under center for part of the way. There were 3 games with Drew Stanton under center and some Logan Thomas mixed in as well. This team knows how to win football games.

It's also taken some time for Andre Ellington to get up to speed and put a foot injury behind him as well. This dude will be a factor. It's true running backs haven't exactly been making hay against the Rams, but they have had an issue with sweeps, and backs making plays out of the backfield.

Defensively they are quite similar to the Rams. It's a bend but don't break defense, so the opportunity to create long grinding drives that end with TDs will not be there. Rams will have to be able to score from beyond the redzone. And yes, GZ will have to make a couple 30+ yarders.

I won't try and take away the fact that they've got the best record in the NFC, but the Rams looked like they're putting some things together last week against an equally tough opponent. If they've got things figured out on defense, this could be a very good game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Basically, It really comes down to Davis' performance. If he doesn't fail to see the open receiver, and can get the ball deep on occasion, we can win this one easily IMHO

fearsomefour

Legend
Not this year. Gave up six sacks to Denver, that's 14 in two games. And third most in NFL in 2014.

Arizona still has problems on the interior, but they were lining up the worst starting OTs in the NFL last year. Veldheer is ten times better than what they had. Massie is still on the right side.

Favorable matchup for Donald and Hayes, but not for Quinn.
Maybe not as a huge an advantage as last year but I think Quinn can make plays vs. Veldheer. If he can best that Dbag from SF he certainly can get after Veldheer. I wouldnt mind seeing him line up some on the right side to mix things up. Donald could have a big game vs. the Cards usually ponderous Gs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Davis needs to play a patient, mistake free ball game for 60 minutes. To expect him to go out there and score a lot of points with his arm is asking too much.
I'd like to see some Zac Stacy early this week, and then bring in MasonHam as a change of pace.

Cards haven't been truly challenged with the run this season(with the exception of Murray vs Dallas).
I believe that with the right gameplan we can run on them in the 2nd half and expose their LB's.
Shotty has been guilty of abandoning the run too early, so that is my biggest fear. That's exactly what AZ is counting on defensively so they can lean on their talented DB's and the blitz to get INT's.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I think we're more than capable of beating Arizona if we play smart,limit the mistakes and if we get a lead put them away.This team needs to learn the smell blood in the water and kill mentality.It won't be easy and I don't care who Az has beaten or loss to when you're 17-7 in your last 24 games your a good team,So I for one do not take them lightly.