Six targets the Rams could be eyeing in wake of the latest cap casualties

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which one do you want the most?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Six targets the Rams could be eyeing in wake of the latest cap casualties
227364_4a3e66a7e05d47c3a7c09a91fe67edb4~mv2_d_2048_1249_s_2.webp

The Rams cut two veteran player from the Spagnuolo era and they also sent DE William Hayes to Miami. Now, that they have created 17 million dollars in cap space here are five players I believe you should look out for as possible Rams.

Josh Gordon, WR, 25 years old (6-foot-3, 225 lbs)
227364_2ae37e60fb0f46baa4de937416d3308f~mv2.webp

Josh Gordon is considered as a 50/50 guy for many fans. He obviously possesses game-breaking superstar talent, but he can't seem to stay out of league trouble. That to me doesn't hurt so bad considering it's nothing extreme like for instance domestic violence. But going now into the football reason to sign him it's pretty obvious. He's had 2,754 yards, 14 touchdowns and 161 receptions in only 32 games as a starter. Gordon brings a giant frame to the table that Jared Goff will not have in 2017 at the moment. Brian Quick and Kenny Britt were both his starters at 6-foot-3 and now his starter's are looking at all being less than 6-foot-1.

Gordon had time away from football as he missed almost all of 2014 and the entire 2015 season but it was impressive the way he came back in 2016 during the preseason and showed off his dynamic play-making ability. I don't think Gordon has lost a step, I could be wrong but he's staying in tip top shape and working everyday to stay that way and improve. This would be one of the best feel good stories similar to a Josh Hamilton type of story for football (until he relapsed down the road). Gordon would also likely come real cheap for the Rams and at 25 years old he and Robert Woods would be able to grow together as the starting WR's for the Rams. This seems like a no-brainer, the Rams have been quiet recently, Josh Gordon has remained quiet and the Rams have been linked to Gordon in the past so there is a chance this signing could be coming.

Ryan Groy, C, 26 years old (6-foot-5, 230 lbs)
227364_f9421816cf374895ae85d513599fc0b9~mv2.webp

The Rams already signed one Buffalo Bill with a connection to offensive line coach Aaron Kromer. Could they sign another? I believe that would be a yes, and it would be a signing that would fill a hole in the Rams offensive-line. Ryan Groy is a restricted free agent the Bills didn't exactly "restrict" all that well. Groy is generating more interest than apparently the Bills expected. They gave Groy the lowest tender and now they are going to have to match a decent contract. Groy is a young center that was moved there after Eric Wood was injured. Groy really had a good season in at center for Kromer and he's even been with Kromer for two teams already. Back when Kromer was in Chicago so was Groy as an undrafted free agent.

Groy is that non big name signing many will laugh at but if the Rams sign Groy they might be onto something. Pro Football Focus actually ranked Groy nine spots higher than the veteran Eric Wood.

227364_075a344599e641b090604d38c964aad4~mv2.webp

Look for this to be a route the Rams go on top of cross training their guards to play center like Sean McVay mentioned in his recent press conference.

Connor Barwin, EDGE, 30 years old (6-foot-4, 265 lbs)
227364_2632a9d0744941df8c15bb1a1a2250ef~mv2_d_4038_2880_s_4_2.webp

The fit is that of a no-brainer Connor Barwin brings a level of veteran leadership to add to the young Rams but on top of it he fills a serious need and fits Wade Phillips system. Barwin played with Wade in Houston and he racked up 14.5 sacks during his two seasons with him. Barwin went through a scheme change in Philadelphia this past year and his production took a hit because of it. He's only 30 years old but he would likely be a stop gap at the other edge spot across from Robert Quinn.

Barwin has been inconsistent and because of it he is likely to have low price tag that the Rams should definitely pounce on if they can.

Kayvon Webster, CB, 26 years old (5-foot-11, 195 lbs)
227364_6e6dd7f1716348e092dd4c32da05c5d6~mv2.webp

This could be a steal of a signing for the Rams and perhaps they know that seeings as they are interested in him. Kayvon Webster played under Wade Phillips but even more is the fact he's loved by his teammates who have openly endorsed him as a future starter in the NFL, he's a great leader and a fierce special teams contributor but most importantly he was named one of the exclusive captains by his teammates. Looking at Webster's stats is pointless when you realize he's been behind CB's Aqib Talib, Chris Harris Jr, and Bradley Roby. Webster has a serious chance to be the next A.J. Bouye like story but luckily for the Rams, they can sign him to a multi-year deal and not end up like the Texans did with Bouye.

Webster would likely compete for either an outside cornerback spot or the slot cornerback position. He is familiar with Phillips defense and that could bode well for him. This sounds like one of the most likely moves for the Rams to make and we will soon see if they pull the trigger. I would expect Kayvon Webster to be a Ram in 2017.

Nick Mangold, C, 33 years old (6-foot-4, 306 lbs)
227364_8a1cf3082d5d447fac9e0bfb65b25f78~mv2.webp

I have received the feeling the Rams want to target veterans in particular this off-season and I think Mangold would be a good idea for the Rams. Mangold is older and he struggled this season but this was quite possibly the worst offensive line performance the Jets have had in recent memory so I don't exactly pin that all on Mangold. Mangold may not be the elite center many know him as anymore but he's still a quality leader and he still can play center in the NFL at a good level.

As mentioned, there is a chance the Rams would sign Ryan Groy but depending on Mangold's asking price the Rams could easily bring in Mangold on a one-year deal to start and then move onto Groy either during the season if Mangold doesn't pan out or after Mangold's contract expired. As much of a step back Mangold has taken there is no way he would be worse than Tim Barnes or Scott Wells were with the Rams.

DeMarcus Ware, EDGE, 34 years old (6-foot-4, 247 lbs)
227364_e21c86cf3cc8482c814fe4ecd83bb8fe~mv2_d_3223_1813_s_2.webp

There is an obvious connection with Ware and Phillips but could it be enough to bring him to Los Angeles? That, I don't know. What I do know is that Ware has been with Phillips going back to his days with the Dallas Cowboys. Everyone is talking about a reunion with the Cowboys, but in reality who is he reuniting with outside of the organization? He left to go with the coach they fired in Phillips. Reuniting for Ware would be with Phillips in Los Angeles. He lined up across from star edge rusher Von Miller but the Rams have a similar player in Robert Quinn.

Ware would likely sign a one year deal anywhere he went and the Rams would likely be okay with that seeing as they need an edge rusher across from Quinn. Ware has started to battle late career injuries which leads me to believe the former nine-time Pro Bowler could come cheap. Ware is another very good lockerroom guy that McVay continues to stress about getting those types of players. Just like the Bronco I mentioned above Ware was also a captain.

What are your thoughts Rams fans? Sound off below! Be sure to follow us @Downtown Rams on Twitter and on Facebook here.

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
Josh Gordon! Only 25 years old! Let's take a risk on him! Our WR corps would be great if we can add him! That way we can focus on drafting depth to our secondary and add a solid center in the draft ! I will straight up buy a Gordon jersey on the spot if we sign him. I have been embarrassed of our receiving corps for the past 10 years. We used to be the GSOT for freak sake.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Josh Gordon! Only 25 years old! Let's take a risk on him! Our WR corps would be great if we can add him! That way we can focus on drafting depth to our secondary and add a solid center in the draft ! I will straight up buy a Gordon jersey on the spot if we sign him. I have been embarrassed of our receiving corps for the past 10 years. We used to be the GSOT for freak sake.
Amen! It's time for Flash Gordon!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
All of the above with a big shurg at Gordon. If he proves he wants to play football then great! If not no loss.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams OL flat out got "schooled" last season. They were ignorant and clueless with no seasoned vet to impart opossing D's "tricks of the trade". Guys like Whitworth and Mangold would make sure that doesn't happen again.

Adding two 10+ year veterans to the Rams OL would be huge, not only for their level of play but for the knoweledge they can impart to the youngsters. Veteran not only supply leadership, they help teach. Rams have been sorely lacking a vet O lineman.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Rams OL flat out got "schooled" last season. They were ignorant and clueless with no seasoned vet to impart opossing D's "tricks of the trade". Guys like Whitworth and Mangold would make sure that doesn't happen again.

Adding two 10+ year veterans to the Rams OL would be huge, not only for their level of play but for the knoweledge they can impart to the youngsters. Veteran not only supply leadership, they help teach. Rams have been sorely lacking a vet O lineman.
All that I agree with and it's all the more sad that we feel this way with a 7 year veteran on the team in Roger Saffold. Our own in house veteran wasn't somebody who could lead, something we haven't had since Pace left after 2009.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Amen! It's time for Flash Gordon!

If McVay wants Josh "Flash" Gordon then he's not as bright as I think he is. The guy is the youngest head coach in history and he's not gonna give himself any unnecessary headaches.

If McVay does want Gordon than he is arrogant as hell think he can fix a guy (who is 100% guaranteed to screw you over) that previous regimes with worlds of experience have utterly failed

We have Woods, Tavon, Cooper, Thomas, Spruce, and Co., don't you think McVay is wise enough in his years to want to draft and develop a guy like JuJu who would give us an exciting well-rounded, young receiving corps?

We just got rid of that clown Britt
Let's get a quality Center and blocking TE

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
If McVay wants Josh "Flash" Gordon then he's not as bright as I think he is. The guy is the youngest head coach in history and he's not gonna give himself any unnecessary headaches.

If McVay does want Gordon than he is arrogant as hell think he can fix a guy (who is 100% guaranteed to screw you over) that previous regimes with worlds of experience have utterly failed

We have Woods, Tavon, Cooper, Thomas, Spruce, and Co., don't you think McVay is wise enough in his years to want to draft and develop a guy like JuJu who would give us an exciting well-rounded, young receiving corps?

We just got rid of that clown Britt
Let's get a quality Center and blocking TE
Hey you know I want Chris Godwin or JuJu in the draft.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm targeting both centers.

We must not loose focus on building the Oline. You can't do anything without it.

If we think we are going to sustain drives with Grob at guard and a rookie center then we are going To be a laughingstock.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
In order of importance:

Josh Gordon
Kayvon Webster
Nick Mangold
Connor Barwin

Considering we have no 1st round pick, the only expensive guy on that list is likely Webster.

Josh Gordon would be dirt cheap.
Mangold should be something like 1yr $4M. I'd actually want to sign him for a balanced, non front loaded 2-3 year deal with roster bonuses that bring him up, but if his play falls off, he won't hurt hardly at all.
Lastly, I think Connor Barwin can be had on a 3 year deal for relative affordability since he had a down year last year in a poor scheme for him. He might only want to sign a 1 yr prove it deal and that'd be fine, but I can't see it being more than $4M

So, the math...

Josh Gordon... $1M+ incentives. Maybe only the minimum + a lot of incentives.
Kayvon Webster... He's got huge potential. I'd sign him to the LONGEST contract we can swing. I've seen him play and there was almost no difference when Talib or Harris had to take a spell and Webster was in. I'm thinking a 5yr $40M with $10M guaranteed, $8M signing bonus. His cap number this year would only be just over $2M for a player that I see as being potentially a Pro Bowler in his first year here.
Nick Mangold... is 33. 2yr, $10M with $6M SB. No guarantees. Puts this year at around $4M cap. If he plays well, he's gonna be worth the $6M cap hit next year. If not, it's not a ton of dead money. It's worth the bet to get a top 5 C and leader in the building to combine with an All-Pro LT in Whitworth.
Connor Barwin... as mentioned above, 3yr, 12M, $6M Signing Bonus. Puts his 1st year cap at $3M

Cap hits:
Josh Gordon.. $1M
Kayvon Webster... $3M first year. Flex on construction, but 2nd year would be biggest hit.
Nick Mangold...$4M
Connor Barwin...$3M first year.

Total cap: $11M which leaves enough for the rookie pool.

Total contracts if people stay: $63M

Total Signing bonuses: $22M

Thankfully, we don't have an owner that can't do signing bonuses.

Thoughts? mostly about contracts, not a bunch of "mehs" on Gordon.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Jake, good list! Please add Sullivan to that list. Redskin center that would be a good stop gap and help linemen understand intricacies of the McVay system.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Jake, good list! Please add Sullivan to that list. Redskin center that would be a good stop gap and help linemen understand intricacies of the McVay system.
That could be a good one. I left out WR Kamar Aiken too but I felt like these are 6 of the most likely. I just noticed Groy is meeting with the Rams.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Webster was my vote... don't think adding a 33 year old OC would be wise

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Groy, Webster and Barwin would be the only 3 on that list. 2 would start. Webster would battle Gaines for the other starting CB spot. Draft a WR and TE early, give coach McVay 2 players to develop in his first season.