Six potential teams for St. Louis Rams' Steven Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor

[nfl]0ap2000000140537[/nfl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000140537/Will-Jackson-be-back-in-St-Louis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap20000 ... n-St-Louis</a>

St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson will void the final year of his contract on March 12, a development that does not come as a surprise.

Jackson was due $7 million from the Rams. He was never going to make that money and voiding the contract saves the Rams from the unpleasant task of cutting a franchise legend. Jackson won't make that much in 2013, but he should have a solid market. Here are the teams that make sense for him:

1. St. Louis Rams: It never feels good for a player to take a pay cut to stay in the same uniform, but I still suspect the Rams might value Jackson more than any other team out there. Jackson is no longer a big playmaker, but he's reliable and could split carries with Daryl Richardson again. Coach Jeff Fisher likes Jackson. A two-year deal worth about $9 million might be the best offer Jackson can get.

2. Atlanta Falcons: Michael Turner is expected to get cut. Jackson can give the Falcons similar inside toughness with far more versatility in the passing game and ATL's Chris Wesseling thinks Jackson could be the missing piece of the puzzle. Jacquizz Rodgers isn't ready to carry the load by himself.

3. New England Patriots: It just seems like a Bill Belichick type of move. Jackson can do a little bit of everything well and provide some leadership for Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen. Choosing the Patriots would be Jackson choosing a chance for a title over maxing out on carries.

4. New York Giants: They are a team that's willing to pay for running backs. Jackson could have a Brandon Jacobs-like role alongside David Wilson.

5. Detroit Lions: The Lions already have Mikel Leshoure, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan -- Jackson's old coach in St. Louis -- could sell the Lions on Jackson's ability to stabilize a weak running back group.

6. Indianapolis Colts: They have money to burn and the need for some veteran reliability in the backfield.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
#1 St. Louis

#2 Anyone but the Patriots

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't want to see SJ go anywhere but how does this article get written and not even mention the Broncos?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
moklerman said:
I don't want to see SJ go anywhere but how does this article get written and not even mention the Broncos?

Yeah, I don't get that. The Bronco's would seem to be a perfect fit. Legit SB team, great offensive line. Not sure what money they have but would seem to make sense.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
moklerman said:

Yeah, I don't get that. The Broncos would seem to be a perfect fit. Legit SB team, great offensive line. Not sure what money they have but would seem to make sense.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
moklerman said:
If we lose him, that's where I want him to go. AFC so he can get to the Super Bowl without standing in our way and Denver is my second /team /home.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Strange I had a dream last night that he signed to the Colts for 2 years, to pull the pressure off Andrew Luck and their passing game - after that 2 years he re-signed with the rams fora day then hung up his boots, finishing as a Ram...

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I would prefer SJ stay in STL, but if he decides to go, I hope he goes to an AFC team and the Rams beat them in the SB.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
bwdenverram said:
moklerman said:

Yeah, I don't get that. The Broncos would seem to be a perfect fit. Legit SB team, great offensive line. Not sure what money they have but would seem to make sense.

Willis McGahee and money. IDK how much they want to pay an older RB for a couple years after Manning. And plus with the way Champ Bailey played in the final game I think Elway got a wake up call to get younger in other areas.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Angry Ram said:
bwdenverram said:
moklerman said:

Willis McGahee and money. IDK how much they want to pay an older RB for a couple years after Manning. And plus with the way Champ Bailey played in the final game I think Elway got a wake up call to get younger in other areas.
Well, McGahee's going to be 32 years old and this is how his season ended:
but on November 19 McGahee underwent an MRI that revealed a torn medial collateral ligament and compression fracture in his right knee

Angry Ram

I know he got hurt, but they also put a designated to return label on him too, so who knows there. But moreso it's the money and age.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Angry Ram said:
I know he got hurt, but they also put a designated to return label on him too, so who knows there. But moreso it's the money and age.
The important part of that though, is that he didn't make it back. They were hopeful they'd have him for the playoffs so they were hedging their bets but the injury was serious enough that he couldn't answer the bell.

So, 32 years old and coming off a season ending knee injury(s)...I think SJ would be a lot more attractive option for a SB or bust team.

Angry Ram

That's true as well. I just don't see it happening...of course I wouldn't mind him going to Denver. Better them than say, NE.