Sitting Down with Greg Salas and Shagging Punts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bf0afe9078ab436fa8bfb74.png

http://www.101sports.com/category/phsie ... ing-Punts/

I caught up with Rams second-year wide receiver Greg Salas for a quick couple of minutes after minicamp. Salas took over slot receiver duties last year when WR Danny Amendola went down with a dislocated elbow and torn triceps in Week 1. Greg was getting more comfortable with each game, starting to really contribute to the Rams’ offense since starting in six games last season.

Salas suffered a serious leg injury that ended his season in the Week 9 game against the Arizona Cardinals. But before that fateful play he displayed flashes of why the Rams drafted him in the fourth round and was just starting to get comfortable with the Josh McDaniels offense.

So with all that being said, one thing on the minds of Rams fans this summer is whether Salas is ready for the 2012 season. Has his leg recovered 100 percent?

“Yeah, I feel like I’m pretty much back completely. Just a couple more strengthening things I can always improve on but other than that I feel good and pretty confident. It’s a fresh start for everybody and we’re looking a lot better this year so we’re really excited.”

I can’t stress enough the sense of anticipation at Rams Park. Head coach Jeff Fisher and his meticulously assembled coaching staff have truly brought a breath of fresh air and confidence to this team. Add the luxury of a full off-season to all that swagger and we may just have the makings of a instant playoff contender in the Rams.

“Yeah, it’s a huge difference,” when asked if having OTA’s have made things easier. “Trying to come in and learn everything on the fly within a week or two before you have a preseason game was pretty tough especially in that (McDaniels’) offense. So having all this time to work out all the kinks, making mistakes now I think it’s key for the learning process.”

Despite only playing one year (six games really) on the NFL level, Salas already senses a marked difference in his game since last season.

“I think everything is just a lot slower. Having the experience last year, playing in some games and making some catches and doing some okay things that I have a lot more confidence and I feel like I’m playing a lot faster than I was last year at this point. I’m just excited.”

Every now and then I go through this “What if…” phase regarding the 2011 season. What if there wasn’t a lockout? The Rams should have kept third-string quarterback Thaddeus Lewis. I would have started the season with more than four cornerbacks on the roster. I wish the Rams could have had a consistently solid offensive line.

I’m sure there were times when Salas thought, “What if I hadn’t gotten my leg trapped under that defender? How would have rookie season been if that didn’t happen?” But he doesn’t dwell on what could have been and focuses on the present and what is turning out to be a very competitive battle at the wide receiver position.

“It’s a great group of guys so that makes it even tougher because everybody out here is so good and so talented. I think it just brings the best out of everybody especially the competition; everybody is going to play that much harder and better and try to make plays every time they’re out there. It’s been a good competition.”

He also added, “I think both the rookies (Brian Quick and Chris Givens) look great out there. Everybody looks great. It’s going to be exciting to see what happens.”

This great group of guys includes veterans such as new free agent Steve Smith (sixth year), Brandon Gibson (fourth year), Amendola (third year), Danario Alexander (third year), Austin Pettis (second year), and rookies Quick, Givens, Nick Johnson and Mike Campbell. That’s 10 receivers vying for six, possibly seven roster spots. Competition will be strong, but he probably wouldn’t it want any other way.

Notes from Rams Mini-Camp: Wednesday

-- DNP and/or limited action: Center Scott Wells (knee/excused absence), cornerback Cortland Finnegan (left hand), tight ends Lance Kendricks and Mike Hoomananwanui (light workouts on the sidelines again), defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo (DNP) and running back Steven Jackson (excused absence: giving a commencement speech at his alma mater El Dorado High School in Las Vegas. Will be back for the last day of minicamp.).

-- Tackles Jason Smith and Rodger Saffold were still limited in practice.

-- Alexander made a couple of leaping catches that got everyone's attention. Just can't help but to think "Please just stay healthy and on the field."

-- It seemed like to me the intensity was a bit revved up on Wednesday. I caught a couple of skirmishes during some of the 11-on-11 drills. Safety Craig Dahl and center Robert Turner exchanged pleasantries as well as another unlikely duo, linebacker Josh Hull and rookie undrafted free agent Joe Long (younger brother of Miami Dolphins offensive tackle Jake Long.)

-- Rookie undrafted free-agent tight end Michael McNeil had a couple of early "right on his hands" drops but made up for them with some solid grabs later on.

-- Former Redskins linebacker Rocky McIntosh came to Rams Park on a try-out basis on Wednesday as the Rams are trying to strengthen their depth at outside linebacker.

-- The biggest surprise for me came as Rams owner and chairman Stan Kroenke made an appearance toward the end of practice. He chatted with general manager Les Snead and executive vice president and chief operating officer Kevin Demoff as he watched players practice. Fisher joined them after media duties and as the Rams’ Big Four talked for several minutes.

-- Coach Fisher said Thursday would be the last day of minicamp. Veterans and most coaches will take off for the next six weeks before reporting for training camp on July 28. The rookies will have another week in St. Louis doing some strength and conditioning. The drafted rookies will then attend the NFLPA's annual Rookie Symposium the following week.

Notes from Rams Mini-Camp: Thursday

-- The usual suspects DNP or were limited: Wells (knee/excused absence), Finnegan (left hand), Kendricks and Hoomananwanui (light work outs on the sidelines again) and Cudjo (DNP).

-- Punter John Hekker (Oregon State) and tight end Cory Harkey (UCLA) are the only two rookies not present due to graduation rules. Both schools should be holding their respective graduations this weekend.

-- Jackson was back on the field working as hard as ever after giving a commencement speech at El Dorado High School in Las Vegas.

-- McIntosh was present on the field Thursday and officially signed with the Rams later in the afternoon.

-- Quick had an acrobatic tip ball catch over safety Quinton Pointer for a nice reception.

-- Tight ends Jamie Childers and DeAngelo Peterson had a couple of “getting myself noticed” catches today. Both exhibited great hands and body control.

-- Coach Fisher ended the last day of minicamps with some fun competition. He vetted the offensive linemen versus the defensive lineman in a game of “catch the punt.” The line with the most catches wins.

But as with most things, it turned out to be a classic “things are not as easy as they may seem” task as the big dudes had a hard time even getting their paws let alone attempting to catch the balls. For the D-line, defensive ends Jamaar Jarrett (rookie UDFA) and Chris Long appeared to have touched the 70-yard long and high punts. Representing the O-line, guard/tackle Kevin Hughes made a valiant effort and came the closest while another guard, Harvey Dahl, took a roll on the field in his attempt at immortal punt catching glory.

Seeing that this game wasn’t going to end in the near future, Fisher brought in the skilled “professionals.” From my vantage point, it looked like wide receiver Danny Amendola just waltzed onto the field and effortlessly cradled the ball in his arms. I also saw the rookie Johnson catch one as well.

Coach Fisher said after practice, “We like to try to have fun. You know we are going to do that. It looked like it was going to go on forever. I had to adjust. This is a different machine, I’ve never seen a machine like that but clearly the big guys got an appreciation for how hard that job is. When Danny got out there and caught the first one, they understand now. A couple of them (linemen) are in there icing down. Harvey landed on his head.”

As always, thank you for reading. Hope these posts help you feel as if you’re at Rams practices.