Site Changes Coming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
I usually just navigate to the forums, but that homepage is really nice. I would find it useful.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK - Here's my feedback. And some of it may not be what you want to hear but I've been a member since the beginning so here and you asked for feedback. To me that says tell me what you think - not what you think I want to hear.

From my view, I come here for the board and to discuss stuff Rams and not-Rams with a great group of Rams fans. The new look may be a little too story-centric. I don't know that I think Forum when I look at it and I don't know that anyone else would either if they weren't aware of the changes and that the little column on the lower right is where you click for what everyone is really talking about. I realize it says Rams Forum right at the top but it doesn't come off as a place to come to talk.

I like the look of the site for a sports page. It is definitely eye catching and splashy. But it comes off as more of a clearing house for Rams news. I realize much of the content has always been centered around news from other places but with this format it almost hides the fact that the posters on here drive the conversation and IMO are more important than the sports writers out there.

My suggestion would be to try to find a way to keep the visuals and also key in on the fact that this is first and foremost the best forum out there. On my computer, the recent threads doesn't even show up until I scroll down. You've got a fairly large void on the upper right. Is there a way to put something up there without destroying the balance and flow of the page?

One of the other things I tend to look for is who is posting a particular thread. No offense to anyone but if it's a mock or on the draft, I will key in on certain posters, if it is off topic, same. I am more interested in what the posters on here have to say than what Florio or Cosell are talking about - even if it is the posters talking about what Florio and Cosell are saying.

Maybe instead of the term "Featured" in red at the top, maybe put "Featured Conversations" or "Hot Topics" or something to that effect and have the rolling subject window just to the right be recent threads with the OP listed.

There's my two million dollars worth. Do with it what you will.

Thanks for the feedback stu.

can you get me a screen shot of this big large void you are speaking about because I honestly am not sure what you are referring to.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Put me in the category that loves change!

Try things and see how it goes. Adjust from there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. By trying things... Ultimately stuff is learned that leads to a better place.

/ end of lecture /

I love the look. Major kudos for the effort put into this and concept! From here there might be other ideas!

And...

From what I see; the familiar flow won't be disrupted by bookmarking the spot you like, if you choose.

Good feedback from the group, however. It's important to hear what members love about this site. I appreciate hearing the honest responses... Another reason this place rocks!

PhxRam

OK - Here's my feedback. And some of it may not be what you want to hear but I've been a member since the beginning so here and you asked for feedback. To me that says tell me what you think - not what you think I want to hear.

From my view, I come here for the board and to discuss stuff Rams and not-Rams with a great group of Rams fans. The new look may be a little too story-centric. I don't know that I think Forum when I look at it and I don't know that anyone else would either if they weren't aware of the changes and that the little column on the lower right is where you click for what everyone is really talking about. I realize it says Rams Forum right at the top but it doesn't come off as a place to come to talk.

I like the look of the site for a sports page. It is definitely eye catching and splashy. But it comes off as more of a clearing house for Rams news. I realize much of the content has always been centered around news from other places but with this format it almost hides the fact that the posters on here drive the conversation and IMO are more important than the sports writers out there.

My suggestion would be to try to find a way to keep the visuals and also key in on the fact that this is first and foremost the best forum out there. On my computer, the recent threads doesn't even show up until I scroll down. You've got a fairly large void on the upper right. Is there a way to put something up there without destroying the balance and flow of the page?

One of the other things I tend to look for is who is posting a particular thread. No offense to anyone but if it's a mock or on the draft, I will key in on certain posters, if it is off topic, same. I am more interested in what the posters on here have to say than what Florio or Cosell are talking about - even if it is the posters talking about what Florio and Cosell are saying.

Maybe instead of the term "Featured" in red at the top, maybe put "Featured Conversations" or "Hot Topics" or something to that effect and have the rolling subject window just to the right be recent threads with the OP listed.

There's my two million dollars worth. Do with it what you will.

You took the time to write me a well thought out post and I think I at least owe you a better response (now I am home)

You do realize that those are just posts taken from this forum?

I simply promoted the articles because it was easier for me to fill up the site and do it in a hurry. The idea IS to promote individuals and their posts. To promote posters and show everyone that this is indeed the best forum out there. Those articles you see now will be promoted posts from posters on THIS forum. Click on a image and it will take you right to the post.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhxRam

I cant customize this to fit every persons needs. I have tried it across 4 different browsers on resolutions as high as 1920X1080 down to mobile phone and they all display fine. If you have elected to use some funky settings, then there is not much I can do for you.

And you do realize what those icons are for correct?

They are to save space when the site is being optimized for mobile devices. Do you really think a bunch of text looks better once it is smashed together into one word once it is condensed?

I would love to see some example sites you have produced to help me learn.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thanks for the feedback stu.

can you get me a screen shot of this big large void you are speaking about because I honestly am not sure what you are referring to.
Been busy tonight which is why my lack of response.

The "void" I am talking about is just the upper right hand area of the header that has pretty much nothing in it. You have the RamsOnDemand.com/Rams Forum on the left with an area with nothing in it to the right. The area to the right is the void. I can do a screen shot later if you like but don't have much time right now. Keep in mind that I like the look and what I am bringing up is just my observation. Tomorrow I will give you more info as to what I see if you like.

Also, keep in mind that my wife is both a fine artist and a graphic artist - and my mom is a professional artist. I understand composition. So what that means is that I also understand if trying to do what I am suggesting would screw up the composition of the header and/or mess up the feel and flow of the first thing you see when you go to the site. My thinking is that if you were to put something in that space that would work with the composition AND say "come here to talk Rams", it might give people a better idea that this is a place for them to talk about our team - not just read about what is happening.

This really belongs in the thinking of fine tuning. I really do like the look you have presented. I personally just want to make sure we don't lose the feel that this is a place where true Rams fans come to talk with other true Rams fans about our team. I think this site has always had the feeling of buddies shooting the shit over a beer. It can still grow and be a huge success while keeping that feel. Not easy I'm sure.

Notice I'm not trying to do what you are taking on. This site would suck out loud if I was actually the one doing the work. I'm a fan and a restaurant owner/brewer.

Ready, fire, aim my friend. And yes - in that order. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

PhxRam

Been busy tonight which is why my lack of response.

The "void" I am talking about is just the upper right hand area of the header that has pretty much nothing in it. You have the RamsOnDemand.com/Rams Forum on the left with an area with nothing in it to the right. The area to the right is the void. I can do a screen shot later if you like but don't have much time right now. Keep in mind that I like the look and what I am bringing up is just my observation. Tomorrow I will give you more info as to what I see if you like.

Also, keep in mind that my wife is both a fine artist and a graphic artist - and my mom is a professional artist. I understand composition. So what that means is that I also understand if trying to do what I am suggesting would screw up the composition of the header and/or mess up the feel and flow of the first thing you see when you go to the site. My thinking is that if you were to put something in that space that would work with the composition AND say "come here to talk Rams", it might give people a better idea that this is a place for them to talk about our team - not just read about what is happening.

This really belongs in the thinking of fine tuning. I really do like the look you have presented. I personally just want to make sure we don't lose the feel that this is a place where true Rams fans come to talk with other true Rams fans about our team. I think this site has always had the feeling of buddies shooting the crap over a beer. It can still grow and be a huge success while keeping that feel. Not easy I'm sure.

Notice I'm not trying to do what you are taking on. This site would suck out loud if I was actually the one doing the work. I'm a fan and a restaurant owner/brewer.

Ready, fire, aim my friend. And yes - in that order. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

No need to apologize Stu, we all get busy.

As far as the header, the main problem is that the site is "responsive" meaning as your screen resolution drops, the site condenses. Now on a desktop, it does indeed look empty over there. You move to a mobile device and the header is completely filled up. Make sense?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No need to apologize Stu, we all get busy.

As far as the header, the main problem is that the site is "responsive" meaning as your screen resolution drops, the site condenses. Now on a desktop, it does indeed look empty over there. You move to a mobile device and the header is completely filled up. Make sense?
Yep. Didn't think of that. But having used the site on my mobile it makes sense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You took the time to write me a well thought out post and I think I at least owe you a better response (now I am home)

You do realize that those are just posts taken from this forum?

I simply promoted the articles because it was easier for me to fill up the site and do it in a hurry. The idea IS to promote individuals and their posts. To promote posters and show everyone that this is indeed the best forum out there. Those articles you see now will be promoted posts from posters on THIS forum. Click on a image and it will take you right to the post.

Yeah - I get that. I am just pointing out things from my vantage point. Much like it is always good to have fresh eyes review something you are writing, it can take fresh eyes sometimes to see things you've been staring at for some time. I'm not saying that this is anything you missed, I just think it is something more to consider if you haven't already.

As to the promoted posts - it doesn't appear that any of them are threads started by the posters here. They all seem to be news stories from outside sources. Are you saying that you just picked those for now and that when the new look site is unveiled, the threads will be a mix of threads actually created by the posters here in with threads that are reposts of stories from the outside?

If that is the case - then never mind on that. I would still like to see - if it's possible - the username of the OP when I am scrolling on the rolling post section just to the right of the "Featured" section. Maybe that's just me. But as I said before, if I'm going to use that page at all, I would want to see that.

In reality, I may never use the front page of the site so there's that. And also, newbies wouldn't necessarily know the names of the OPs anyway so there's that too. Of course if they come to the front page and see RamFan503 wrote the thread, you KNOW they're hooked.:D

You ever talk in circles until you answer your own questions?:LOL:

PhxRam

Yeah - I get that. I am just pointing out things from my vantage point. Much like it is always good to have fresh eyes review something you are writing, it can take fresh eyes sometimes to see things you've been staring at for some time. I'm not saying that this is anything you missed, I just think it is something more to consider if you haven't already.

As to the promoted posts - it doesn't appear that any of them are threads started by the posters here. They all seem to be news stories from outside sources. Are you saying that you just picked those for now and that when the new look site is unveiled, the threads will be a mix of threads actually created by the posters here in with threads that are reposts of stories from the outside?

If that is the case - then never mind on that. I would still like to see - if it's possible - the username of the OP when I am scrolling on the rolling post section just to the right of the "Featured" section. Maybe that's just me. But as I said before, if I'm going to use that page at all, I would want to see that.

In reality, I may never use the front page of the site so there's that. And also, newbies wouldn't necessarily know the names of the OPs anyway so there's that too. Of course if they come to the front page and see RamFan503 wrote the thread, you KNOW they're hooked.:D

Click on a image those take you to the post it was taken from. in the big image if you look at the top of the image you will also see the posters name views likes and comments

PhxRam

At its core all it really is, is a page that is showing posts from this site in a more visual manner.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Click on a image those take you to the post it was taken from. in the big image if you look at the top of the image you will also see the posters name views likes and comments
I see that. Not good enough. :p:LOL: