Sit Bradford for the rest of the season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
2-10.

Signing QB's left and right now.

Injured (high ankle)

Seems like the plan is to work out some guys and see who to take into 2012, and let someone else get punished this year.

Agree? Disagree?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Depends if the plan is to bring Josh back next year. So, if Josh is planned to return, the Bradford should play to get some more experience in the McD offense. Otherwise, don't play him.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If Bradford is 100% healthy, then I have no problems with him playing.

If he's not, then he should sit. There's no point in risking further injury in my opinion, and sitting him can be good in terms that you can learn from sitting. The only thing that sucks about that is that he doesn't get someone to learn behind, he gets a bunch of shitty scrubs to watch. He can always stand next to Josh and have Josh go "See what he did? Don't do that."

It's hard to say. I don't think he should sit if he's healthy, but if he's not healthy there is no point in rushing him back into games to play at less than 100%. High ankle sprains are tricky, and with a lost season I'd hate to see anything else happen to him.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Just keeps on crashing down even more. I think, just my perception is that Bradford will sit the rest of the season. I have no source or credibility, the conclusion happened when we signed Clemens, and Brandstater will likely be the starter. I think Feeley will stick around as an emergency qb-doubt they force any risk with his finger (slight fracture?).

I dont know if Bradford goes on IR or you simply sit him in a Rams hoody and sweats. I dont know if we as fans and himself as our #1 qb will stick w/ McDaniels or go through another learn and grow syste, and risk even more severe consequences.

Lloyd has to be resigned whenever the first opportunity is there, if we lose him, well fuck we have another major setback at wr...

I'd rather see Bradford sit than go up against the Seahawks, Bengals. Steelers and Niners brutal defenses. most have wins to play for and guarantee Bradford would simply get punished.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Id sit him. I dont have much faith in this oline magically getting better. Yeah I know he needs the reps but this ankle injury is something thats still bothering him and it just needs time to heal. IR him, let him heal, and then he can go through a normal offseason.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
If the choice is having Bradford play with a brace in that big ol' clown shoe for another 4 weeks, I say no. How much has that already messed with his mechanics?

In a perfect world, Sam could be Rothliesburger, playing through leg injuries behind a fair Oline, but that's not what we have here. I could exaggerate and compare Bradford to a goat staked out by hunters to attract wolves, but that would be wrong. :mrgreen:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
You cannot put a price on the value of experience gained from actually playing in an NFL regular season game.

If Sam is able to play, he should be in the game gaining valuable experience for the future. If his ankle prevents him from playing, the question is moot.

Sitting Sam even though he is healthy enough to play is a Loser's mentality. Period.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Selassie I said:
You cannot put a price on the value of experience gained from actually playing in an NFL regular season game.

If Sam is able to play, he should be in the game gaining valuable experience for the future. If his ankle prevents him from playing, the question is moot.

Sitting Sam even though he is healthy enough to play is a Loser's mentality. Period.
I tend to agree with that, but I don't know if he's going to be 100% healthy. Which is what you want if you're going to put him behind a line that doesn't even have guys playing their original positions anymore (sans Bell). This team tries to win every game, even if it's a suicide mission beforehand, and that's why I think he'll eventually see the field again. But not until he's 100%. Wouldn't make any sense to trot him out there gimpy.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Selassie I said:

I understand that he needs a lot of reps in this offense but were not exactly putting him in a position to succeed if/when he returns. Is he the QB that gives us the best chance to win? Yes, but we cannot count on the oline right now. If the oline plays better next Monday then I would feel much more comfortable bringing Sam back to start when hes healthy.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
* If he's HEALTHY, he needs to be playing.

Regardless of the other 10 players playing offense with him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The only QB we HAD on this roster that would be effective with this OLine was Thad. Sam and anyone else on the current roster is in for a world of hurt. Sit him ad let him get his reps in the upcoming FULL off season programs. Patchwork OL + Mediocre (at best) WRs and TEs = Disaster. I suspect we will see a 65-35 run/pass ratio from here on out. It is the only option quite frankly.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think we all know he is sitting this Monday night. I agree he needs reps in this system but don't look for him to get too many more this season. Maybe he plays the last two.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Selassie I said:

+1000

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Selassie I said:

What kind of experience? Running for his life behind a make shift OL?....No thanks. If this kids the franchise, then protect him as though he is.....

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If he's fit to play then he plays like anyone else. Explain that to the rest of the team on how were protecting him and see how fast they jump ship.
Long has a bad ankle do we sit him too? Bet JL is beat to hell by now also.

He's a big boy and a gamer . And if the worst happens and some fat guy rolls up his leg and pops his ACL, then that's how it goes. He'll be back next Oct. Same for Jax, Lloyd or any other guy.

NFL not Pop Warner.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
ramsince62 said:
Selassie I said:

What kind of experience? Running for his life behind a make shift OL?....No thanks. If this kids the franchise, then protect him as though he is.....
Reading defenses, making good, quick decisions while pressured, learning the offense, building chemistry with his receivers.

I don't want him getting killed either, so the OC has to put in a schemes to prevent that.

Can't play scared.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
NO ONE in week 14 is 100% healthy. If Sam is at 90%, he needs to sack up and get out there. It's a frikkin Monday Night game and your season is in the toilet... to me thats more reason to go out there and AT LEAST make a good showing. Give your poor fans a sign of hope for christsakes. Let this game be your Super Bowl and try to build something for next year. Sitting out and flushing the season is not the way to go.

Sending a 3rd stringer out there, on a nationally televised game is weak. Poor STL fans just lost Pujols... and now they're going to get run off MNF for the next 10 years because their football organization has no stones. *End hyperbole*

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
QUESTION: Considering his lingering high-ankle sprain, and the fact the Rams are 2-11, do you think it would be best for the team to shut down Sam Bradford for the rest of the season?

JIM THOMAS
There are a lot of players on this Rams roster playing hurt. I think it would send a bad message to the rest of the team to treat a banged-up Sam Bradford any differently than the other players. But seeing Bradford in a walking boot after Wednesday’s practice and seeing the frustration in his face, you have to wonder if he’s going to be healthy enough to play in any of the final three games. It looks like there’s no way he’s playing this week. So I’d say see how the ankle feels next week, and if it’s still iffy – or worse – shut him down.

BRYAN BURWELL
If Bradford can play and it doesn’t create a situation where more damage can be done, then you play him. You don’t quit on the season. But if there is a chance that playing could potentially make his injury worse, then there is no way he belongs on the field.

KATHLEEN NELSON
The fact that he was wearing that boot Wednesday means that he’s unlikely to play Sunday. If he’s no better by the middle of next week, I’d shut him down.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/round-two/should-rams-shut-down-bradford-for-season/article_1562fa5c-274a-11e1-b322-0019bb30f31a.html#ixzz1geiSUYcO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... z1geiSUYcO</a>