Simmons: What Are the Rams Options at Center?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Los Angeles partially answered it by signing former Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth to anchor the line, which keeps Rodger Saffold at left guard. Head coach Sean McVay has also moved Greg Robinson and Rob Havenstein to compete at right tackle and right guard, respectively.

It’s at center where L.A. continues to bring in options with OTAs beginning next week. In early April, the Rams signed John Sullivan, who started 93 games for the Vikings from 2009-2014 before missing the 2015 season with a back injury. He served as the backup center in Washington last year, learning McVay’s offensive system.

At rookie minicamp over the weekend, McVay said Sullivan and 2014 seventh-round pick Demetrius Rhaney have been taking the majority of snaps at center so far.

While they did not draft an offensive lineman, the Rams signed Jake Eldrenkamp as a college free agent out of Washington. He saw plenty of action at center during last weekend’s rookie minicamp.

“He’s got the movement skills that we look for in a center and he’s a big guy,” offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur said.

And L.A. made another move this week, claiming former Colts center Austin Blythe on waivers. A seventh-round pick out of Iowa in the 2016 draft, Blythe appeared in eight games last season, starting the club’s Week 4 matchup against the Jaguars.

But aside from the listed centers, McVay has said offensive line coach Aaron Kromer is working to cross train interior linemen.

“I think just because you’ve got to have the season in mind when you’ve got seven, maybe eight linemen [active on gameday], if something did happen to one of those centers, typically it’s going to be [a] guard [filling in] — unless you’re going to have one of those guys that’s your sixth or seventh linemen be exclusively a center,” McVay said. “It’s important for those guards to be able to have some flexibility and be able to snap that football if some of those emergency situations dictate that.”

And so while Sullivan is likely No. 1 at the position at this point, the center competition will likely be one to monitor through OTAs and training camp.

[

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One would surmise the Rams will carry two centers and one that could play Center as well...Many feel that Cody Wichmann would be the one, but IMHO, look for Andrew Donnal to be given an opportunity as well. He can play tackle and guard so adding center to his resume would not be shocking.

In the end I believe it will be Sullivan & Eldrenkamp with another on the practice squad as well.

Every mornin' at the mine you could see him arrive
He stood six-foot-three and weighed three-oh-five
Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip
And everybody knew ya didn't give no lip to big John
(Big John, big John)
Big bad John (big John)
usa_today_9749220.0.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In the end I believe it will be Sullivan & Eldrenkamp with another on the practice squad as well.
Agreed....I've been looking at everything Eldrenkamp. Guys gonna take a min...but I've read he's really smart...and a great run/power blocker that needs to work on consistency.....His toughest games were against USC & Bama....
I just watched him against Bama...and that beast Allen...who I also watched against Toth.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The size of these guys other than Sullivan is pretty small for a center that's not in a strict Zone blocking scheme.

Rhaney really didn't stand up as a Guard size-wise. He was overpowered in pass pro.
However the fact that he is still here means the coaches saw something on tape they think they can work with.

Eldrenkamp was scouted as a zone-blocking system guy.

Austin Blythe has a good chance of sticking. He is only 298 now but that is still seven pounds heavier than he weighed at the combine.

Blythe seems like a zone guy too but if he gained some weight, could be a good backup on game day.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Into the Great Wide Open ......a team without a center.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqmFxgEGKH0

The future is W I D E open as for who will be the starting Ram center in 2017. I will continue to endeavor to preserver about this OL position & its far from being close to settled. I believe that we should be ready for a few surprises here;).

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
My guess, ( on totally limited information and before Camp even starts :D )

Sullivan is the Game 1 Starter barring any injuries in Camp.

Blythe/Rhaney as the 2 that make the roster as Center/Guards.

Eldrenkamp on the Practice Squad.

The strict Guards;
Wichmann
Brown
Tre Jackson

might want to step it up in Camp.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So some of the key information that den' article lets us know early "rookie minicamp over the weekend, McVay said Sullivan and 2014 seventh-round pick Demetrius Rhaney have been taking the majority of snaps at center so far". This would be expected.

The best possible positive element that can happen here for us Ram fans in 2017 season is that veteran John Sullivan is close to 80 to 85 % what what he was back in 2014. If JS can do this we will be solid initially in the middle of our OL & would go a long ways to assisting our very young inexperienced QB. This would be a really BIG pre season event. The big ? remaining & hanging over this is "How Long could he withstand full time NFL trench action with that damaged age back".

Now here where 24 yr old young center Demetrius Rhaney can finally make a move to being productive Ram (something yet to be seen!) Entering his 4th Ram off season OTA/ TC & then pre season. IF Rhaney has any usable NFL skills :thinking:?

When we read what McVay/LaFleur & Kromer have been saying since they arrived is mentioning movement skills..."movement Skills that we look for @ center". Well I have viewed DR in the combine & some clips & DR has serious quick fast horsepower movement ability but would appear he has zero pounds of Torque to move an gnat. I have serious doubts that DR can be the type of back up Sullivan will need on game days.DR should have no excuses not being ready to go.

Our only rookie center Jake Eldrenkamp saw plenty of action at center during last weekend’s rookie minicamp.I have some early good feelings about this UDFA. DR better watch out for JE. Our OC stated that "He’s got the movement skills that we look for in a center and he’s a big guy,” DR will never be mistaken for a Big Guy:D.

The newest move @ OC was claiming former Colts center Austin Blythe. Guess the best I can say here is 8 games of NFL experience & 1 start. having undergone a NFL TC & preseason should give him a very short leg up early but not for very long.Does not fit much of what we have heard coming out of the Org. months since January as to what they want in OL'ers. Looks like nothing more than a good camp body.

In conclusion.... from the perspective of our HC view, where he is responsible for the concerns over for game day active rosters ...McVay mentions that the Rams are continuing working @ ongoing Cross Training for interior reserve OL'ers so these game day reserves will be ready to line up & play center during an emergency situation. McVay said "if something did happen to one of those centers, typically it’s going to be [a] guard [filling in] — unless you’re going to have one of those guys that’s your sixth or seventh linemen be exclusively a center,” McVay said. “It’s important for those guards to be able to have some flexibility and be able to snap that football if some of those emergency situations dictate that.

As to which of our OL'ers will be reserve OL'ers vs starters is still a big UNknown so CT'ing should be ongoing on a large scale here during OTA's & TC for most OG prospects. Primarily the three 3rd yr Ram drafted OL'ers who would stand the best chance to being our 6th, 7th & 8th Ram OL'ers ......Cody Wichmann, Jamon Brown & Andrew Donnal.I would point out these Rams as being far better talents with much more NFL starts & game experience over the the last 2 seasons than any of the FOUR above mentioned centers.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
All I hope is Sullivan returns to near his pro bowl health and ability. It's nice to try to find a player as a UDFA/Cut but, sometimes you need to invest more. Could be a hold over that Boni suggested that fills the number two center. I like cross training because it can save a roster spot. At some soon a higher draft pick will be needed.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Rhaney is 6'2/301.
Eldrenkamp is 6'5/297.

Eldrenkamp is taller but Rhaney is "bigger".

6'5 is kind of tall for a Center.

I would say 6' 3 is perfect.
You don't want too much hieght at that position leverage wise.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rhaney is 6'2/301.
Eldrenkamp is 6'5/297.

Eldrenkamp is taller but Rhaney is "bigger".

6'5 is kind of tall for a Center.

I would say 6' 3 is perfect.
You don't want too much hieght at that position leverage wise.

Normally true Soul Surfer for most OL coaches...

but I would say to you that Jake is capable of some serious growing that would bring JE into a better overall position where he can not only back up the center but JE he has better value when it comes to working in at both OG posts with that 6-5 frame & growth as a reserve ....whereas with DR, you get basically a single post player who is a reserve not what most OL coaches like Kromer would desire. Some 6-5 OL'ers can get lower in their stance than many 6-2 to 6-3 Olers.

Take 6-6 ORT Andrew Donnal & what he has been able to do since coming out of college ...he just happens to have developed & learned a very good deep butt lower stance capability at his height. He was firing upward from his stance & hitting with better power than any of our OL starters with the exception of Saffold. On the other hand Rob Havenstein & GRob had fallen & moved to in the opposite direction & was in full bend starting from the hips & lunge & hope to latch on to whatever was flying around them or through them. GRob was better & grasping resulting with red flags where Havenstein turned into a gimpy passive voyeur.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I think Sullivan will start and we'll be happy, but I love the plan McVay has implemented to the point where I feel the center position is well taken care of. The difference I feel between just after the groy deal fell through and now is night and day and really shows the difference in how the new staff addressed a key position as opposed to how fisher would have handled it. You know he would have been calmly feeding us how Barnes could only improve, etc..