Simmons: Practice Report 12/30: Last Session of 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Practice Report 12/30: Last Session of 2016

By Myles Simmons

Another season of practice has come and gone, with interim head coach John Fassel lamenting its ending.

“I guess the only thing on my mind now is I’m going to miss football practice,” Fassel said. “It’s great to always be able to come out here on the grass, huddle the guys up, and pick some dirt and grass up, and said this is pretty sacred stuff – this green grass and dirt that’s between the lines. Just never take it for granted. Practice is fun, man, and it’s a long time before we get to do it again. I’m going to miss it.”

The Rams will take on the Cardinals in the season finale for both teams. Los Angeles won the first divisional matchup with Arizona in Week 4, coming away with a 17-13 victory in a game that seems like it was played a very long time ago.

Though both the Cardinals and Rams are constituted differently than they were during the first quarter of the season, going against a fellow member of the NFC West can aid either team from a gameplan standpoint.

“It helps because you’re not going against somebody you don’t know, or you haven’t gone against them for the first time,” defensive tackle Michael Brockers said. “So, just going back looking at our old game, trying to see what we did good versus them the first time and kind of repeat it the second time, so we can leave the Coliseum with a victory.”

“it’s the same gameplan and a little more,” middle linebacker Alec Ogletree said. “You can’t base [your plan] on what you did last game [because it] is not going to happen the same way in this game. Each game is different.”

One element that’s unique to a Week 17 matchup is how teams will deal with players approaching milestones. Fassel cited running back Todd Gurley and Ogletree as two Rams who will likely be monitored for that reason in this game.

“‘Tree’ needs, I think, five more tackles to get his career best, or something like that,” Fassel said. “That would be a factor. Week 17, at this point in the season, you try to get guys to achieve their goals — whether if you have to manufacture a play-call, or something like that.”

There’s the incentives aspect of motivation, but then there’s also pride. That’s what Ogletree brought up when addressing how he’s staying in it for this final game.

“Just the fact that you get to suit up one more time with guys that you trained with all summer and it’s the last game of the season,” Ogletree said. “And it sucks that we don’t have one after this, but we have to put all our effort into this one game and go try to win.”

But because of the coaching change, this contest also represents the last time the Rams will play as currently constructed. And for a group as close as the 2016 Rams have become, that’s tough.

“You know, you tend to be closer to guys when you’ve been through a struggle,” offensive lineman Rodger Saffold said. “This group is just very resilient. They’re very tough. With everything that’s been going on, all these distractions going on, it’s been a distant memory. We haven’t used any excuses. So that’s the type of guys you want to run with.”

“It’s different every year. The only difference this time is it’s a whole different coaching staff that may come in,” Ogletree said. “Right now, our focus is on Arizona this week and that’s all that we can control at this moment. So, the guys that are here, they’re putting all the effort into coming out here and trying to win this game this weekend. And we’ll worry about the rest later.”

And with the final game coming on New Year’s Day, getting a win would make for some nice symbolism.

“I think it would be big because we’d be 1-0 in 2017,” Fassel said this week. “It would be a great start to a very much needed new year.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams have four players with an injury status for Sunday’s game.

Wide receiver Kenny Britt (shoulder), right tackle Rob Havenstein (ankle), and defensive back Lamarcus Joyner (ankle) are all listed as doubtful. Neither Britt, Havenstein, nor Joyner practiced this week.

Wide receiver Mike Thomas (hip) is listed as questionable after practicing on a limited basis Wednesday and fully on Friday.

And safety Maurice Alexander (concussion) is expected to play after practicing in full on Friday.

Additionally, wide receiver Nelson Spruce was on the practice field for the first time since being placed on injured reserve. The Rams had not had a player return from injured reserve all season, and Friday marked six weeks since the wideout was put on the list. Thus, he was able to participate.

[www.therams.com]

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
dditionally, wide receiver Nelson Spruce was on the practice field for the first time since being placed on injured reserve. The Rams had not had a player return from injured reserve all season, and Friday marked six weeks since the wideout was put on the list. Thus, he was able to participate.

I assume this means he's eligible to play, if he's ready?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.vcstar.com/story/sports/...-returns-final-rams-practice-season/96017400/

Nelson Spuce Returns to Practice

Six weeks to the day after being placed on injured reserve, Los Angeles Rams rookie receiver Nelson Spruce returned Friday morning, just in time for the team’s final practice of the season.

The Westlake High graduate ran routes and fielded punts for the scout team two days before the 4-11 Rams wrap up their season Sunday afternoon against the Arizona Cardinals at the Coliseum.

“Just getting out there, for myself, feeling what it feels like to be back out there running full speed, running routes and just being part of the team, I think it was really helpful,” Spruce said. “It was a good way to end the season after, you know … kind of a tough year for me, individually.”

NFL players placed on injured reserve are not allowed to practice for six weeks. Each team is allowed one player to return to the active roster after they have been on IR for eight weeks.

“They didn’t really explain it to me,” Spruce said. “They just said that I’m going to get to practice today and that was it.”

Spruce suffered through a frustrating first season in the NFL, which ended for him on Nov. 18, when he was placed on injured reserve with a calf injury after spending the first nine weeks of the season inactive.

He made the team as an undrafted free agent from Colorado, despite suffering a sprained knee in his breakthrough preseason debut against the Dallas Cowboys on Aug. 13, when he caught six passes for 51 yards and a touchdown in little more than a quarter of action.

He returned to practice six weeks later, but suffered a calf injury on Oct. 20 and wasn't able to recover before the team needed the roster spot ahead of the Rams' loss to Miami.

With the Rams searching for a successor for ousted head coach Jeff Fisher, Spruce will have to impress a new coach during the offseason to remain a Rams player.

Spruce said he plans on “staying local” with his offseason training, which will “probably” be centered at Sports Academy in Newbury Park.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I assume this means he's eligible to play, if he's ready?

He'll be playing and maybe, just maybe, Spruce will actually catch the football, I realize it's a novel concept, but the possibility does exist.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spruce will not be playing. He's not eligible to play this week.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Spruce will not be playing. He's not eligible to play this week.

That was my thought all along when he went to IR.

But, I wasn't sure because I recall Ogletree practicing late last year with chance to return.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Someone with knowledge from within the team indicated, "Practice was good this week. We finished strong on the practice field."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was my thought all along when he went to IR.

But, I wasn't sure because I recall Ogletree practicing late last year with chance to return.

It's definitely confusing. Spruce can practice, but he can't play. Your article explains it, albeit in an unclear manner:
http://www.vcstar.com/story/sports/...-returns-final-rams-practice-season/96017400/

Nelson Spuce Returns to Practice

Six weeks to the day after being placed on injured reserve, Los Angeles Rams rookie receiver Nelson Spruce returned Friday morning, just in time for the team’s final practice of the season.

NFL players placed on injured reserve are not allowed to practice for six weeks. Each team is allowed one player to return to the active roster after they have been on IR for eight weeks.

Six weeks to practice; eight weeks to play.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Practice Report 12/30: Last Session of 2016

By Myles Simmons

Another season of practice has come and gone, with interim head coach John Fassel lamenting its ending.

“I guess the only thing on my mind now is I’m going to miss football practice,” Fassel said. “It’s great to always be able to come out here on the grass, huddle the guys up, and pick some dirt and grass up, and said this is pretty sacred stuff – this green grass and dirt that’s between the lines. Just never take it for granted. Practice is fun, man, and it’s a long time before we get to do it again. I’m going to miss it.”

The Rams will take on the Cardinals in the season finale for both teams. Los Angeles won the first divisional matchup with Arizona in Week 4, coming away with a 17-13 victory in a game that seems like it was played a very long time ago.

Though both the Cardinals and Rams are constituted differently than they were during the first quarter of the season, going against a fellow member of the NFC West can aid either team from a gameplan standpoint.

“It helps because you’re not going against somebody you don’t know, or you haven’t gone against them for the first time,” defensive tackle Michael Brockers said. “So, just going back looking at our old game, trying to see what we did good versus them the first time and kind of repeat it the second time, so we can leave the Coliseum with a victory.”

“it’s the same gameplan and a little more,” middle linebacker Alec Ogletree said. “You can’t base [your plan] on what you did last game [because it] is not going to happen the same way in this game. Each game is different.”

One element that’s unique to a Week 17 matchup is how teams will deal with players approaching milestones. Fassel cited running back Todd Gurley and Ogletree as two Rams who will likely be monitored for that reason in this game.

“‘Tree’ needs, I think, five more tackles to get his career best, or something like that,” Fassel said. “That would be a factor. Week 17, at this point in the season, you try to get guys to achieve their goals — whether if you have to manufacture a play-call, or something like that.”

There’s the incentives aspect of motivation, but then there’s also pride. That’s what Ogletree brought up when addressing how he’s staying in it for this final game.

“Just the fact that you get to suit up one more time with guys that you trained with all summer and it’s the last game of the season,” Ogletree said. “And it sucks that we don’t have one after this, but we have to put all our effort into this one game and go try to win.”

But because of the coaching change, this contest also represents the last time the Rams will play as currently constructed. And for a group as close as the 2016 Rams have become, that’s tough.

“You know, you tend to be closer to guys when you’ve been through a struggle,” offensive lineman Rodger Saffold said. “This group is just very resilient. They’re very tough. With everything that’s been going on, all these distractions going on, it’s been a distant memory. We haven’t used any excuses. So that’s the type of guys you want to run with.”

“It’s different every year. The only difference this time is it’s a whole different coaching staff that may come in,” Ogletree said. “Right now, our focus is on Arizona this week and that’s all that we can control at this moment. So, the guys that are here, they’re putting all the effort into coming out here and trying to win this game this weekend. And we’ll worry about the rest later.”

And with the final game coming on New Year’s Day, getting a win would make for some nice symbolism.

“I think it would be big because we’d be 1-0 in 2017,” Fassel said this week. “It would be a great start to a very much needed new year.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams have four players with an injury status for Sunday’s game.

Wide receiver Kenny Britt (shoulder), right tackle Rob Havenstein (ankle), and defensive back Lamarcus Joyner (ankle) are all listed as doubtful. Neither Britt, Havenstein, nor Joyner practiced this week.

Wide receiver Mike Thomas (hip) is listed as questionable after practicing on a limited basis Wednesday and fully on Friday.

And safety Maurice Alexander (concussion) is expected to play after practicing in full on Friday.

Additionally, wide receiver Nelson Spruce was on the practice field for the first time since being placed on injured reserve. The Rams had not had a player return from injured reserve all season, and Friday marked six weeks since the wideout was put on the list. Thus, he was able to participate.

[www.therams.com]
This^ sounds like we'll see a lot of Cooper and maybe some Spruce!! Britt being out will really hurt!

Agamemnon

Rookie
He isn't on the 53 man roster yet. They have to cut somebody first. He is just allowed to practice without counting against the roster.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I believe Spruce would have been able to play if we had made the playoffs - same with Tree last year.

fearsomefour

Legend
LOL.....Nelson Spruce returns to practice.....great.....you know what man, just take this week off.
A perfect symbol for this season.
Freaking comedy.