Simmons: Practice Report 11/30: Benefiting from Break, Robinson Expected Back at LT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Practice Report 11/30: Benefiting from Break, Robinson Expected Back at LT

Myles Simmons

Last Sunday's game against New Orleans was different for Greg Robinson.

Earlier in the week, Rams head coach Jeff Fisher made the decision to temporarily replace the left tackle in the lineup with Rodger Saffold. As Fisher termed it, Robinson just needed the time off. While the young lineman clearly has ability, the mental mistakes and costly penalties had just piled up.

“Guys, sometimes in their career, need a break,” Fisher said Monday. “I know he refocused, he recharged, he rebooted and he’s ready to go.”

And so the 24-year-old Robinson, who had started 35 consecutive games for the Rams at left tackle, watched Los Angeles’ offense take on New Orleans from the sideline as one of the club’s seven inactive players. It was tough — especially considering Robinson is a Louisiana native and had numerous family members in attendance at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome — but the left tackle said he tried to make the most of the experience.

“It was the decision they made, and all I can do is just accept it. And it wasn’t like I could tell them, ‘No, I’m not sitting down,’” Robinson said after Wednesday’s practice. “So, if it was smart for him to allow me to take a break, I feel like I used it to the best of my ability, and just accepted what was at task, and just tried to move on.”

What made the experience a bit more challenging for Robinson was seeing Saffold leave the game with a hand injury in the second quarter.

“Yeah, on the sidelines it kind of got me down. But, like I said, there was nothing I could do about that,” Robinson said.

Offensive coordinator Rob Boras noted Robinson handled the situation well both leading up to and on Sunday.

“Anytime that you feel threatened, and you get something taken away, I think it refocuses your energy and channels your focus,” Boras said. “I think in communication with Greg, and just the guys that were on the sideline just talking about Greg’s energy, and what he was on the sideline, and how he handled the situation, I think spoke volumes. He didn’t pout, he handled it, he was communicating, making calls.”

As the Rams get set to take on the Patriots this Sunday, Fisher has said he expects Robinson to be back in his starting role at left tackle.

“I’m doing fine. Like I said from the beginning — all I can do is get better. It’s coaches’ decisions, and it’s a business at the end of the day,” Robinson said. “So take it how it comes, and just continue trying my best to get better each day.”

The head coach has noticed some encouraging signs from Robinson in terms of preparation this week.

He’s been great. He understands,” Fisher said Wednesday. “Every once in a while, when you take a step back and watch what’s going on and see things through a different window — it’s life-changing.

“He is really excited right now. He’s been in here early, he’s staying late, he’s focused,” Fisher continued. “We’ve got some stuff behind him and he’s excited about playing.”

In his third season, Robinson said he feels like he’s progressed throughout the year — acknowledging that it may not seem that way to many. And now that he’s expected to line up at his regular spot once again, Robinson said he’s focusing on making sure he knows exactly what to do on each play.

“Honestly, I’m playing full speed, I feel. But there’s sometimes I’m just moving a little slower in getting to my spots. But that’s just something that I need to spend a little extra time studying and making sure I can get to those spots a little faster,” Robinson said.

“He’s embracing it right now,” Fisher said. “It’s a combination of technique, it’s a combination of some outside distractions and some misunderstandings – maybe a little lack of preparation. By all accounts right now, he’s ready to go play, so I’m proud of him.”

And that won’t be the easiest of tasks against a formidable opponent like the Patriots. New England head coach Bill Belichick and his staff are known for their ability to craft team-specific gameplans. Robinson said offensive line coach Paul Boudreau has been stressing that fact in the classroom.

“I was speaking with coach ‘Bou’ and he’s said in meetings that Belichick just shows different things that we probably won’t see, and it varies with different teams,” Robinson said. “So I feel like all we can do is put our heads down and grind and just keep chipping on it. And hopefully we come through with the ‘W,’ because we really need it.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams listed five players on their injury report, none of whom participated in Wednesday’s session.

Wide receiver Tavon Austin (chest), center Tim Barnes (foot), offensive lineman Andrew Donnal (hip), defensive end Robert Quinn (concussion), and offensive lineman Rodger Saffold (hand) did not practice.

Though he left the matchup with New Orleans in the second quarter and did not return, Fisher said Saffold has not been ruled out for Sunday’s game in New England.

[www.therams.com]

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I think GRob has the potential physically to be a really good LT but, and this might be my hunger talking (I'm posting just before I have my lunch at work), I can't help thinking that this "break" won't make the slightest difference to Robinson or how he plays on Sunday from a mental perspective.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
....Just more Pro-Fisher spin being pumped out by the Rams secret Czar of Propaganda, Jay Zigmunt, who is only following orders from his ILLRAMINATI overlords, who are John Shaw, Marvin Demoff, The ghost of Georgia Frontiere, Billy Devaney (I was surprised too) and of course, Brenda Warner...

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
You have to wonder if Saffold would be better off at center. I wonder if he's ever played that position?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Drafting players based on physical potential is always a gamble. Drafting them with the second overall pick is an enormous gamble. Just think, the Rams D could have Kahlil Mack to go along with Aaron Donald, or Jake Matthews at OLT to be a cornerstone for years. Right now the OLT position is still a question mark, as is most of the OLine...*sigh*

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He's in year 3 and still isn't preparing like a pro who's serious about his craft from a mental standpoint. Draft smart players who understand the preparation side of the game from now on. Who cares if the a guy is a tenth of second quicker or a bit stronger if he doesn't know what he's doing on a given play.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Fisher commented about "outside distractions".
Sounds like there may be more to the benching then we know about.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
All BS until I see him take some snaps this Sunday. We'll see if this worked, or is ti more dirt on the grave....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Drafting players based on physical potential is always a gamble. Drafting them with the second overall pick is an enormous gamble. Just think, the Rams D could have Kahlil Mack to go along with Aaron Donald, or Jake Matthews at OLT to be a cornerstone for years. Right now the OLT position is still a question mark, as is most of the OLine...*sigh*

Question Mark:hellno:? wow Elmgrovegnome you must have just returned from a Zen Party :peace:or something your awful nice today:D IMO GRob has moved way beyond question mark.

When a NFL Organization Management team :admin:has invested a priceless highly valued team asset, 2nd overall draft selection & all they come away with after 3 seasons is a inconsistent OL'er at best, who is a offense drive killing machine, who will earn a near 7 million of the 2017 salary cap, has very little NFL caliber learning & comprehension ability & is the weak link in a very weak five player OL & finally who mental state is fragile that it requires a "safe zone" off week due to outside distractions .......I would have to call it what it is :censored: & its not a question mark:palm:.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, we all agree that GRob has disappointed, don't we? Can I get an amen on that? Lol.

But why are we placing all responsibility for underachievement on GRob?

I mean, is he uncoachable? Stupid? Has no pride?

I have heard that his study habits were not up to snuff, at least early on. But shouldn't the coaches have corrected that and PDQ?

I maintain that the coaches must bear a significant portion of the responsibility for GRob's underachievement. After all he was considered a physical freak on draft day. The kind of clay that an NFL coach would LOVE to mould into a dominant player.

Frankly, not the only highly touted O player that has failed to reach expectations on this Fisher coached team.

Hell, I'll go so far as to say that a new and quality HC and his staff might amaze us with what they could accomplish with this same roster. So l believe that many of our O woes will be solved in the coming offseason purge.

Having said all that, I have to say that I can't justify recommending that the Rams exercise GRob's 5th year option. He simply hasn't earned that.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
GRob PFF grade 35. Lowest LT even among backups

Donnal PFF grade 72. Pretty good

Why not leave Donnal in and see how he does. You can always pull him and put Rob back in. Just another head scratching move by the Fish.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
GRob PFF grade 35. Lowest LT even among backups

Donnal PFF grade 72. Pretty good

Why not leave Donnal in and see how he does. You can always pull him and put Rob back in. Just another head scratching move by the Fish.

Check this out ....some other drafted OLT's who was drafted after Greg Robinson in 2014. All of these valuations are listed in the 90's and then look what's Robinson's number....
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/taylor-lewan-14420/stats-valuation/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/jake-matthews-14415/stats-valuation/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/charles-leno-14657/stats-valuation/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/greg-robinson-14411/stats-valuation/

Ram65

Legend
I don't think GRob has the feet to play OT. Let's see what he does with a week off. All it cost was Saffold breaking his hand.:eek:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Coaching. Watch what happens. GRob walks, signs with another team and then makes 10 straight Pro Bowls and ends up in the HOF.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Coaching. Watch what happens. GRob walks, signs with another team and then makes 10 straight Pro Bowls and ends up in the HOF.

I think coaching is 50% of it. The other 50 is him playing out of position. He's a guard not a tackle.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am so tired of Fisher spinning BS in the media. He benched GRob due to performance, and expects him to bounce back. That is all. Quit with the touchy-feely "He needed a break" bull$#!t for the love of God.

You sat the guy vs his hometown team. THAT is not a break. STFU Fisher jeebus. Own up to what you did, call it what it was, the fans are not stupid holy crap.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I mean, is he uncoachable? Stupid?

Stupid? Yes.

Coaches can only do so much for some players 43. I like that GRob went to Bentley for coaching this offseason, and I think Boudreau is part of the problem (he is not the elite coach we believed him to be). But these are grown men and professionals who get paid to do a job and he ain't doin it. The endless penalties and mental errors are him.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere

Good Lord, is that ever discouraging

Well, the good news is that Havenstein comes in at #4 and also +90.

Now that we have a QB who, when given time, can accurately fire the ball downfield with severe velocity I reckon an above average LT should be next years most pressing need....whether by draft or FA.

Maybe a move inside is where GRob is destined to play at a high level.

We can certainly hope so.