Simmons: Practice Report 11/25: Goff Finishes Strong Week of Practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Practice Report 11/25: Goff Finishes Strong Week of Practice

Myles Simmons

After Wednesday’s practice, Rams head coach Jeff Fisher spent a little time extolling quarterback Jared Goff for his performance in the session. The rookie himself described the day’s practice as crisp, and one of the best the team had gone through in some time.
And based on Fisher’s comments, Friday’s practice was more of the same.

“Jared had a really good day — as a matter of fact, had a really good week,” Fisher said. “It’s just that sign of being more and more comfortable in the offense.”

Part of that comfort comes from playing experience. There’s clearly no substitute for in-game snaps, which can lead to increased confidence and decisiveness. But it’s also a matter of Goff having starters reps in practice, so there are elements that carry over from one week to the next.

“There’s a big difference in the last two weeks,” Fisher said. “He knows what to expect now.”

Goff also likely has a better feel for what he is and is not comfortable with in a given gameplan. As the starting quarterback, that allows him to have at least a bit of say in how things develop throughout the week.

“He’s honest about things,” Fisher said. “He’s going to go up and just say, ‘I don’t like this concept. I don’t feel comfortable with it.’ So you take it out of the gameplan. That’s just common sense.”

Still, with the way practice has gone this week — combined with the no-weather elements of a dome setting — Fisher said the Rams may have a chance to open the offense up a bit more with Goff’s considerable arm talent on Sunday.

“We’ve had a good week of practice and we’ve pushed it down the field in practice this week,” Fisher said. “So if we can carry things over from practice into the game, then we should push it down the field.”

WILLIAMS’ RETURN TO NEW ORLEANS

As is well known, Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams held the same position with the Saints when they won the Super Bowl in 2009. He was with the team for two more seasons, making a number of more memories in the process. Sunday will represent the first time he’ll be back coaching in New Orleans since departing the franchise.

“I’ve not coached in a game down there, but I’ve been back there several times,” Williams said. “Really looking forward to it. Got a lot of great memories — a lot of good feelings, a lot of good people there that I still stay in contact with.”

While all that experience with quarterback Drew Brees may seem to some as an advantage for Brees, Williams said that can work both ways.

“I know things about him, he knows things about me, too, in a practice situation,” Williams said. “There’s nobody I’ve been around who’s more precise in what they do, go about the profession the way he goes about it.”

Earlier in the week, Saints head coach Asshole Face praised Williams for the way he’s been able to consistently improve units throughout his time in the NFL.

“I think he’s doing a great job,” Payton said. “Really, when you follow his career as a defensive coordinator, he’s always had good defenses — you watch what they’re doing [and] in a short period of time, he’s been able to turn around a number of teams’ defenses. We’ve been grinding here, we’ve had a little bit of additional time, playing on a Thursday night, watching these guys. I think there are a number of things that concern you.

“Look, having had a chance to win a Super Bowl,” Payton added, “that’s something that you’ll always remember.”

Regardless, neither Williams nor Fisher are expecting much in terms of an emotional impact on the game.

“It’s not about that — it’s about these guys playing. So, it’s not about me,” Williams said.

“He won a Super Bowl down there, and I’m sure he’s got a lot of friends, but, no, he’s focused on what we’re doing,” Fisher said.

INJURY REPORT

Los Angeles has two players with an injury status for Sunday’s game. Center Tim Barnes (foot) has been listed as questionable, though Fisher said Friday he expects Barnes to play. Though Barnes did not practice last week, he started and played every offensive snap for the Rams against Miami. The situation should be much the same at New Orleans.

“He’s smart enough and has enough snaps under his belt where you can trust him to go out and play,” Fisher said of Barnes.

One clear challenge of Barnes not practicing is that there is a new quarterback behind him in Goff. But there were no clear center-quarterback-exchange issues during Sunday’s contest against Miami, in part because the two are spending plenty of time together off the field. While Barnes has been at every practice and watched every snap, the center has also been watching a lot of film with Goff, according to Fisher.

“They get the mental reps even though Timmy isn’t getting any [physical reps],” Fisher said.

Running back Todd Gurley did not participate in Friday’s session due to an illness, but should play on Sunday.

“Todd stayed inside — we asked him to stay inside today with an illness. It’s just one of those things that’s kind of going through the team, and it’s taking its turn and he was a recipient last night, this morning,” Fisher said. “But he’ll be fine. We expect him to be fine.”

Also on the injury report, defensive end Ethan Westbrooks (thigh) participated in full on Friday and is listed as questionable.

Defensive end William Hayes was excused from practice on Wednesday to attend to a family matter. He returned on Friday, practicing in full and is expected to play.

[www.therams.com]

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Everything Fisher says at this point just sounds like straight bullshit, his coach speak is wearing so thin on my nerves with all the losing we've all had to endure. Tiresome, sigh.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wish I could watch practice....compare what I saw in Sept/Aug. to what is supposedly so strong now.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
When are we going see Austin, Britt and Quick streak straight out deep? Austin should be able to get open deep. Saints don't have a DB who can keep pace with Austin. How about a 5 WR set? Saints pass rush isn't top 10.

Rams should be able to put up 30+ on the Saints, just about everybody who's played them has.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everything Fisher says at this point just sounds like straight bullcrap, his coach speak is wearing so thin on my nerves with all the losing we've all had to endure. Tiresome, sigh.
I agree. Especially when the things he's saying now, he could have been saying all year long. Where Goff and the team could be right now

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
For a team insider, I never walk away feeling like I really got any information from Myles Simmons articles.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
When are we going see Austin, Britt and Quick streak straight out deep? Austin should be able to get open deep. Saints don't have a DB who can keep pace with Austin. How about a 5 WR set? Saints pass rush isn't top 10.

Rams should be able to put up 30+ on the Saints, just about everybody who's played them has.
Yeah

Why don't we just join a 7 on 7 league, LOL?

You go 5 wide and your QB dies

I'm sorry but "wide open" won't work, in my humble opinion

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wide open offense is what would get the most of Goff at QB. But it won't happen, don't worry. Rams aren't smart enough to do it.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Wide open offense is what would get the most of Goff at QB. But it won't happen, don't worry. Rams aren't smart enough to do it.

Clearly, I disagree.

The Rams are smart not to get Goff blown into tiny pieces.

5 wide Spread does not work in the NFL.

Does not work.....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Clearly, I disagree.

The Rams are smart not to get Goff blown into tiny pieces.

5 wide Spread does not work in the NFL.

Does not work.....

Who said anything about 5 wide?

I just want them to open it up wide and build the attack around his arm.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'm actually glad this away game...I' m watching SC and ND...Rain 2 weekends in a row in LA...Pretty weird if my childhood memories are correct...

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Who said anything about 5 wide?

I just want them to open it up wide and build the attack around his arm.

It's in this thread somewhere.....doesn't matter

I disagree with open wide or wide open

Rams can't do it
OLine couldn't block it. WR's were covered.

Play the Dolphin game again with that pass rush and ask Goff to drop 5-7 steps and throw 15+ yards downfield?
They'd be scraping his remains off the grass.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I can hear it now.
"Well, we just couldn't transfer that production from practice into the game. We need to execute better and trust the offense. We looked GREAT in practice, it just didn't translate onto the field. They're a great team, their crowd is great and they are well coached." Rinse. Repeat.