Simmons: Practice Report 11/16: The Gameplan with Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Interesting that he puts so much emphasis on this. Says a lot imo.

I think they're doing everything they can to treat Case with the respect and decency that he's earned.

Either that or they just realized that he's physically limited.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Why would anyone trade for a guy who cannot be a backup on a 32nd ranked offense?

I think this season's proved that at no point was talent or merit a deciding factor on QB ranking for the Rams.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Keenum is a FA isn't he? Rams should have traded him to Denver for a 6th round pick before the deadline, but noooo. That two games he started for us were sooo important, after all.

Now he's as good as gone. So yes we'll probably see Mannion take over backup duties. Unless Fish is just that stubborn, which is possible.

You're still questioning the stubbornness of Fisher? What more do ya need, man?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I got it, I just thought stating that Goff was tall is in the eye of the beholder.

Depends. I don't think they should measure height from the top of the head. I think they should measure QB height from the eyes. Not actually kidding. Look at the forehead of Peyton Manning. You could play a movie on that thing. He's half an alien with that dome.

peyton-manning-football-headshot-photo.jpg

c0fb9c29ed652b99de64179da423ce19.jpg

Seriously...not joking... there's got to be very close to 6 inches from his eye line to the top of his dome. That's a lot.

Now look at Jared Goff... his "eye level offset"...what else would you call it... looks closer to 4.5 inches.

jaredgofframs.jpg

I'm using an estimation based on sizes of facial features among other clues from other pictures.

I guy could be 6'8", but if he's basically got a stove top hat for a cranium, it really doesn't help him see over the OL.

Not that Case Keenum or Drew Brees have eyes on the top of their heads and it's all the same or anything, but all 6'6" guys aren't equal...

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Second string QB is a pretty decent job, embrace it Mr. Keenum

…..

Legend
Depends. I don't think they should measure height from the top of the head. I think they should measure QB height from the eyes. Not actually kidding. Look at the forehead of Peyton Manning. You could play a movie on that thing. He's half an alien with that dome.

peyton-manning-football-headshot-photo.jpg

c0fb9c29ed652b99de64179da423ce19.jpg

Seriously...not joking... there's got to be very close to 6 inches from his eye line to the top of his dome. That's a lot.

Now look at Jared Goff... his "eye level offset"...what else would you call it... looks closer to 4.5 inches.

jaredgofframs.jpg

I'm using an estimation based on sizes of facial features among other clues from other pictures.

I guy could be 6'8", but if he's basically got a stove top hat for a cranium, it really doesn't help him see over the OL.

Not that Case Keenum or Drew Brees have eyes on the top of their heads and it's all the same or anything, but all 6'6" guys aren't equal...

Umm...yeah. We have officially debated the QB waaaaaaay too much when we declare a difference in eye/skull position.

Only this missing is mathmatical calculations.

Did you really just say that a guy could be 6'8" but NOT be at any advantage if his eye to cranium ratio was too low?

You did.

I'm sure this will be the hot new measurable at the combines.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Mannion isn't getting traded. He's a cost controlled backup who knows the offense. Even if they were to resign Keenum he wouldn't be cheaper than Mannion.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the gameplan doesnt change with goff , we are still screwed but at least goff gets experience.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I got it, I just thought stating that Goff was tall is in the eye of the beholder.
I think it is a better comparison when you consider the height of Goff vs Keenum and the O-line. Wentz is one inch taller than Goff. Goff is three inches taller than Keenum and I think Keenum was wearining platforms when they measured him. There's a very important distinction. Our O-line averages about 6'5". Keenum's inability to look over the top of that is a real disadvantage - as I know you realize. But Boras commenting on Goff's height is more about in relation to Case and our line - not other QBs in the league.

Let's hope it shows in opening up the middle of the field.

RamWoodie

Legend
This is why a guy like Keenum has a long NFL career. Hard worker, humble enough to know his limitations and his role.
If someone doesn't overpay him I would love to see the Rams wrap him up for 2 or 3 years as a backup. The kind of guy who sticks around for a 15 year career and leaves having made tens of millions of dollars.
Class dude.
They won't do that because it's throwing away money. If anything they're gonna let him walk and keep Mannion.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Umm...yeah. We have officially debated the QB waaaaaaay too much when we declare a difference in eye/skull position.

Did you really just say that a guy could be 6'8" but NOT be at any advantage if his eye to cranium ratio was too low?

You did.

Mostly I just wanted to make fun of Mannings massive dome, but yeah... What I'm saying get makes sense. For a QB, eye height is what matters, not the height of one's dome.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Myles Simmons seems like a diligent guy and all, but I have trouble reading reportage anymore on the Rams. Probably because I watch the short interviews on the Rams site...I listen to the questions being asked by various reporters, and I can tell the slant of their next story that may already be written, but they are now fishing for quotes to back up their ideas. It's like seeing a play from the wings, where you can see the ribs/framework of the stage props, and can see the everything the crowd doesn't see....sort of takes the mystery away. I look forward to actual video footage of Goff and maybe fresh reporting on the kid.....

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I'm willing to bet we will see some plays that Rams never ran with Keenum. I really hope they plan to stretch the field and go over the middle, intermediate stuff involving the TE's.
Even if they run the plays they ran with keenum and Recievers are breaking wide open down field will be tds now instead of in completions.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You mean you weren't saying that height is everything?

Nah. I was saying that the statement signals to me that my theory might be correct. Case's height limited our ability to run certain routes and concepts. So they're very excited about Goff being able to run those due to him being the prototypical height for a NFL QB.
(I'm assuming your statement was sarcastic, but I decided I'd explain anyways)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You did.

Well gotta admit he is right. This game nukes things like an inch in height, or a half inch in hand size, a tenth of a second in movement performance, etc. Why disregard measuring to eye height vice top of head?

Payton's sixhead is probably a good inch or so higher than the average forehead, which is where Goff's at. Big difference in say an inch and a half: 6'2-1/2" vs 6'4".

Would not surprise me if some teams started to measure from ground to eyes. And Mack will be able to bump this and say he told us so. :yay:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and speaking of measurables type stuff, I think the way they measure the hand is BS too...

They measure from thumb to pinky, which is hand width. Hand width is not the primary indicator you want for good ball spin, it should actually be thumb to middle finger as you would hold the ball IMO. THAT is what would indicate a big grip on the ball, and the two are not indicators of each other given the variety of hand types out there.

My hands are very wide, but my fingers are not long, so I have trouble doing things other guys with smaller hands and longer fingers do like palming a basketball. At some point the NFL will figure that stuff out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's hope it shows in opening up the middle of the field.

I concur, but Boras sounded as height was the only factor and I felt well, if that is the case, Mannion is the tallest QB the Rams have.

fearsomefour

Legend
They won't do that because it's throwing away money. If anything they're gonna let him walk and keep Mannion.
I could see it playin out either way. They obviously prefer Keenum. But they do not over pay (generally) for vet guys.
Given the teams injury history at the position since Fishers arrival, I could see them keeping all three if the price is low.