Simmons: Practice Report 11/16: The Gameplan with Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Practice Report 11/16: The Gameplan with Goff

Myles Simmons

The announcement came down on Tuesday: Rookie quarterback Jared Goff will be the starting quarterback against the Dolphins on Sunday. According to head coach Jeff Fisher, the time is right and the No. 1 overall pick is ready.

So now that we all have heard and processed the news, how is offensive coordinator Rob Boras anticipating his unit to play with its new signal-caller?

“I think, offensively, obviously we need to rally around Jared, which I know that they will — we’re excited about it,” Boras said after Wednesday’s session. “He’s been preparing as if he’s been the starter for the first nine games. Again, we all recognize it’s different than actually playing. The volume of the plays, it’s the same amount of plays, the same package, we trust with where he is mentally —that’s what we’ve kept commenting on, how well he’s handling everything.”

There have been a few major checkpoints over the course of the season for Goff, one of which was the practice during the bye a few weeks ago. In that session, the rookie received the majority of first-team snaps, demonstrating what he’d been able to glean about the offense to that point.

“I think it was one of the turning points. Obviously any time that you get extended reps, you have a better time to evaluate,” Boras said. “We kept talking about the classroom, classroom, classroom, but now you got more reps against the first team defense. So it definitely helped us see where he was and helped part of the evaluation process.”

One of the shifts Boras will make with the new quarterback is marking down more plays with which Goff is more familiar and likes. It’s the same thing he would do with Case Keenum for the previous nine games.

“I would have a call sheet with my rankings that Case had given me as well if Jared had gone in, so no different there except I’ll have a couple call sheets marked up for Jared and one marked up for Case,” Boras said.

Because it is Goff’s first time out, no one quite knows what — if any — added dimensions the rookie can bring to the offense. Everyone has an idea based on what the quarterback did in college and the preseason, but it’s certainly different when it counts for the first time.

“We’re going to find out,” Boras said. “He’s tall — again, it’s a big-man’s game at a lot of positions. he’s tall, he can see, everything we talked about — his delivery, how quick he is, he’s decisive. We saw how tough he was at Cal. We hope he doesn’t have to be that tough and take hits, but we saw his toughness. His ability to escape and extend plays, his intelligence — we’re excited about seeing it take off on Sunday.”

KEENUM CONTINUES AS STRONG TEAMMATE

In the NFL, for every promotion, there is also a demotion. And this week, by all accounts, Keenum is handling the situation perhaps even better than might be expected.

“My heart goes out to Case,” Boras said. “Case is a teammate and a great leader and he’s going to be great in that room. That’s a compliment to him and his family with the type of person and character that he is. There is nothing odd in that classroom. He’s going to handle it great. He will help Jared every way that he can, because that’s who he is. I can’t say enough good things about Case and the person he is.”

“I can’t stress enough how awesome Case has been before this, in training camp, in OTAs, now this has happened after,” Goff said Tuesday. “On and off the field, I can’t stress enough how good of a teammate and how awesome he’s been with it.”

If you know Keenum or have ever heard much about him, this is likely no surprise as he clearly takes his role as a teammate seriously. And while he is no longer Los Angeles’ starter, Keenum is still a captain. And so even though there’s a sense of surprise, disappointment, and frustration, that doesn’t change how Keenum will go about doing his job.

“Honestly, I wasn’t happy. I want to play. That’s why I play football — is to play football. To be the quarterback, to be the guy with the ball in his hands,” Keenum said Wednesday. “So, with that being said, I trust coach Fisher. I trust the coaches and their decision. I’m a leader — I’m a captain on this team. So I’m going to do my job. And my job is whatever they tell me my job is.”

That includes being there to help Goff whenever he needs it.

“I’m going to be the same guy I always am. I’m always there for him if he asks questions in the meeting room, on the practice field, [watching] game film. So I’m going to be the same guy I always am — that’s a leader, that’s a good teammate, and being the best teammate that I can be. And that’s who I am. That’s who I’m going to be.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams listed five players on their Wednesday injury report.

Center Tim Barnes (foot), defensive back Lamarcus Joyner (ankle), defensive end Robert Quinn (illness), defensive end Eugene Sims (concussion), and wide receiver Nelson Spruce (calf) all did not participate in Wednesday’s session.

Quinn was at practice on the sidelines once again on Wednesday, and Fisher sounded positive about his status.

“Rob was much better, yeah,” Fisher said. “He did a bunch of stuff inside. We didn’t clear him to practice, but tomorrow he’ll move around outside on the field.

[www.therams.com]

fearsomefour

Legend
This is why a guy like Keenum has a long NFL career. Hard worker, humble enough to know his limitations and his role.
If someone doesn't overpay him I would love to see the Rams wrap him up for 2 or 3 years as a backup. The kind of guy who sticks around for a 15 year career and leaves having made tens of millions of dollars.
Class dude.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm willing to bet we will see some plays that Rams never ran with Keenum. I really hope they plan to stretch the field and go over the middle, intermediate stuff involving the TE's.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Boras said. “He’s tall — again, it’s a big-man’s game at a lot of positions. he’s tall, he can see, everything we talked about — his delivery, how quick he is, he’s decisive. We saw how tough he was at Cal. We hope he doesn’t have to be that tough and take hits, but we saw his toughness. His ability to escape and extend plays, his intelligence — we’re excited about seeing it take off on Sunday.
So is the entire fanbase. Smart move by Stan/Fish to get the focus on the field again...Instead of losses. No chance of booing. You can feel it out here. In the streets...Gym's...Barbershops...I know there is a lot of pressure on the kid...I hope he's up for it.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
this tells me that the QB's pretty much dictate what we run for plays during a game. maybe Keenum doesn't feel comfortable throwing over the middle and deep outs because of his arm? also Goff loves to make those throws so I see different plays this sunday.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
this tells me that the QB's pretty much dictate what we run for plays during a game. maybe Keenum doesn't feel comfortable throwing over the middle and deep outs because of his arm? also Goff loves to make those throws so I see different plays this sunday.
I think just flipping the playbook around a little for Goff will through our Opponents off enough for Goff to Win his first few games before they can catch on any patterns!!(y);):D

Ram65

Legend
Great thread to inject my game plan thoughts'

I'm willing to bet we will see some plays that Rams never ran with Keenum. I really hope they plan to stretch the field and go over the middle, intermediate stuff involving the TE's.

Yes I like it. I hope they change it up early. Come out with some passing and not the Todd Gurley run for 4 yards then lose 2 yards. Some quick slants to Britt with some 15 yard outs to Tavon could open things up for TG. The Rams need to help Goff with play calls that keep the Fins of balance. The Fins secondary is weak and you have to take advantage of that. Like you say use the middle of the field as well with the TEs.

TexasRam

Legend
Keenum is being wise. You have to applaud him for his approach. There is no way a fan base isn't going to be crying for a top pick QB to get on the field.

But playing his cards right really sets up Keenum well for many opportunities in the future whether it's playing or beyond.

Truly a class act. And more than likely will see the field again somewhere for another shot at proving himself and probably with a better offensive cast.

At the end of the days he gets his health extended and still getting his millions.

BelgianRam

UDFA
Name
Timoty
I've been following this game for a while now (16 years) and this is probably the first time I've heard the playbook is going to be expanded when switching to a rookie QB

One route I'm looking forward to seeing is the TE seam, as it is a route that tends to be open on good PA fakes, yet this year it has been rare to non existent from what I recall. Also remember seeing a throw the seam route warmup routine in London and Goff's throws looking a lot more esthetical than keenum's.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“We’re going to find out,” Boras said. “He’s tall — again, it’s a big-man’s game at a lot of positions. he’s tall, he can see, everything we talked about — his delivery, how quick he is, he’s decisive. We saw how tough he was at Cal. We hope he doesn’t have to be that tough and take hits, but we saw his toughness. His ability to escape and extend plays, his intelligence — we’re excited about seeing it take off on Sunday.”

Interesting that he puts so much emphasis on this. Says a lot imo.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Practice Report 11/16: The Gameplan with Goff

“My heart goes out to Case,” Boras said. “Case is a teammate and a great leader and he’s going to be great in that room. That’s a compliment to him and his family with the type of person and character that he is.

Goff said Tuesday. “On and off the field, I can’t stress enough how good of a teammate and how awesome he’s been with it.”

“Honestly, I wasn’t happy. I want to play. That’s why I play football — is to play football...” Keenum said Wednesday. “ I trust the coaches and their decision. I’m a leader — I’m a captain on this team. So I’m going to do my job. And my job is whatever they tell me my job is.”

[www.therams.com]

Case Keenum, I applaud you, what a gentleman and good sportsman such a good example to the younger players.:cheers:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Very true considering Goff is shorter than Wentz & Paxton Lynch, but I guess compared to Keenum, he is much taller, however, Goff is shorter than Sean Mannion too.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Case Keenum, I applaud you, what a gentleman and good sportsman such a good example to the younger players.:cheers:

Agreed, however, I bid Case a fond adieu!
giphy.gif

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Gonna say it again... If they can, they'll resign Keenum and trade Mannion. I'd bet all my ROD bucks. Tough to do "if" because another team may come in with "compete for the starting job" money, which means something in excess of $5M per. Short of that, I think they resign Keenum and try to recoup picks since they aren't going to develop Mannion (haven't really so far) and need every available resource for Goff.

ram007

Starter
Gonna say it again... If they can, they'll resign Keenum and trade Mannion. I'd bet all my ROD bucks. Tough to do "if" because another team may come in with "compete for the starting job" money, which means something in excess of $5M per. Short of that, I think they resign Keenum and try to recoup picks since they aren't going to develop Mannion (haven't really so far) and need every available resource for Goff.

Why would anyone trade for a guy who cannot be a backup on a 32nd ranked offense?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Definitely. I think it backs up what a lot of folks here have noticed: that the Rams have had some guys running open that Case misses and probably more than he should. I think a big problem for Case is that he's been late to his reads over the middle on a routine basis and as a result our passing game has been weak in using the entire field.

Even the quick outs that Case throws lose critical time as the ball floats out there. Those stupid effin outs and curls that they put Tavon on might be more effective if the ball is there a half second quicker. Not to mention more guys getting the ball in stride.

I expect some mistakes from the kid, but yeah, I'm pumped.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Keenum is a FA isn't he? Rams should have traded him to Denver for a 6th round pick before the deadline, but noooo. That two games he started for us were sooo important, after all.

Now he's as good as gone. So yes we'll probably see Mannion take over backup duties. Unless Fish is just that stubborn, which is possible.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I see different plays this sunday.
Same plays different execution...Remember, they were running the exact same plays in preseason, yet Goff was throwing to guys Case never saw or looked at...

There is no way a fan base isn't going to be crying for a top pick QB to get on the field.
Unless we were 8-1, and Case was in the top 10 of QB's...seriously, winning and competent play...we may have NEVER heard another word about when is Goff playing...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very true considering Goff is shorter than Wentz & Paxton Lynch, but I guess compared to Keenum, he is much taller, however, Goff is shorter than Sean Mannion too.

Not really where I'm going with it.