Simmons: Goff Learning New Offense Quickly, Exhibiting Quality Leadership

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
By Myles Simmons

There’s a clear learning curve for any player learning his second offensive system in just two years in the NFL. That curve might be even steeper for a quarterback.

But by all accounts, Jared Goff has done quite well in picking up head coach Sean McVay’s offensive scheme during the Rams’ 2017 offseason program.

“It’s a way different offense. Personally, from my brief experience with it, I’ve had a quicker time learning it — easier time learning it,” Goff said on Monday. “I don’t know whether that’s scheme or the way it’s taught or what not, but I’ve enjoyed spending time with the coaches and picking it up pretty quickly.”

“He’s really grasped the offense surprisingly fast, especially for a new guy,” offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur said of Goff at rookie minicamp earlier this month. “When you get a new guy in an offense, there is a transition period with that, but he’s done a nice job at picking it up at a surprisingly quick pace.”

Though the Rams have just begun Phase III of the offseason program with OTAs, Goff’s progress has been encouraging for the coaching staff.

“I think he’s done a nice job just getting better every single day,” McVay said on Monday. “We know that anytime you’re not truly live in some of these periods, it’s always a little bit more difficult. I thought he’s done a nice job managing the huddle, got in and out today. He’s seeing some things, progressing through based on what coverages we’re seeing.”

Part of that growth is likely due to the way McVay sets up his offense. The head coach has often said he wants to make the hardest position on the field — quarterback — as easy to play as possible. Goff said he’s been able to sense that through his work learning the scheme with fellow quarterback Sean Mannion.

“There’s a lot of things that may have been on our plate before aren’t now. But, there’s also some things that are. It goes back and forth,” Goff said. “Obviously, it’s still a tough position but he’s done a good job in the past and with me and Sean so far. He’s taken a lot off of our plate.”

In addition to Goff’s growth on the field, he’s also been making strides off it. Coaches and players have both praised the quarterback for his leadership during the offseason program. Goff said Monday it’s all part of being the signal-caller, but the most important thing he does is try to be himself.

“I’ve developed leadership skills since I was seven-years-old playing the position,” Goff said. “I’ve tried different things. I’m growing as a person, as a player and as a leader, so everything is always evolving.”

“I think there’s different types of ways that guys lead, but what resonates with players is if you’re genuine and authentic about it. I think he’s got a nice way of just being himself and guys naturally gravitate towards him from what I’ve seen so far,” McVay said.

One example came during rookie minicamp, when Goff was seen observing the first practice. At the time, LaFleur credited the quarterback for taking a step to encourage players who were coming in.

“That’s more so for myself to just learn and be around the guys as much as I can. I don’t know if I’m consciously thinking about what it looks like — I want to do it just to be here,” Goff said. “The rookie day, I just wanted to see the rookies. I didn’t really have anything to do here. I got a little treatment and figured I would watch the receivers to see what we got. But yes, I just try to be around as much as possible.”

“He’s always one of the first people in here. He’s definitely always the last person out,” running back Todd Gurley said. “He’s just been doing a great job, just learning every day, getting better, in there with the coaches, attention to detail. Then just trying to make sure everybody else is on top of their game as well. He’s been doing a great job, doing what a quarterback is supposed to do. He’s going to lead this team.”

[www.therams.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
0912_spo_ldn-l-rams-49ers-kb16__22416789.jpg

Rams quarterback Jared Goff has several new targets to get familiar with in practices leading up to the start of training camp. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

Start of Rams’ OTA practices gives Jared Goff a chance to work with new targets

By RICH HAMMOND

THOUSAND OAKS – A few things old, a few things new, nothing borrowed and a lot of blue. The Rams opened the final stage of their summer workouts Monday amid a bevy of changes.

For the first time, Coach Sean McVay was able to put the Rams’ veterans and rookies through a full-team, no-pads, no-tackling practice, the first of 10 such sessions the team will hold between now and mid-June. Not a lot can be be gleaned from the practices, but they’re important.

For instance, there’s no wasted time for quarterback Jared Goff, as he enters his second NFL season with a new coaching staff and some new targets at receiver and tight end.

Goff, on Monday at Cal Lutheran, threw passes to receiver Robert Woods, who signed with the Rams in March, and tight end Gerald Everett, the Rams’ second-round draft pick last month. Everett lined up with the Rams’ first-team offense for some drills Monday.

Most of the OTA drills are position-based, but there are 11-on-11 periods, chances for Goff to work with his new targets in non-pads, game-simulation situations.

“We’re just trying to get the timing down,” Woods said. “We’re connecting. The biggest thing is, we’re talking in meetings and then we’re coming out on the field and executing what we’ve been talking about.”

Woods signed a five-year, $34 million contract with the Rams in March, after four seasons with the Buffalo Bills in which he never exceeded 699 yards or five touchdowns.

More will be asked of Woods now. He is expected to be a good-hands, every-down receiver and the team’s best run-blocker. Woods and Goff already have worked together during throwing sessions in Westlake Village, and Goff said he is impressed with his new teammate.

“He’s been great, more than I could’ve expected,” Goff said. “His work ethic, you can tell how much it means to him and how bad he wants it. H’es just a competitor. He’s smart. He’s fast, and he’s strong. He wants to be the best he can be every day, and you can tell that.”

DEADLINE DAY

Aaron Donald’s absence isn’t the Rams’ only contract-related subplot of OTA practices. Their top cornerback, Trumaine Johnson, is is an even more immediate situation.

In March, the Rams applied their one-year franchise tag to Johnson, which kept him under contract for 2017. Johnson can still sign a new, long-term contract, one that would overside the franchise-tag contract, but the deadline for that new deal is in July.

“The 15th,” Johnson offered without being prompted.

So, clearly Johnson is keeping track, even though he said Monday that he is letting his agent handle the details, and that a possible new contract isn’t a distraction from offseason work.

Johnson, a Modesto native, said he would like to sign a long-term deal with the Rams, but either way, he won’t be hurting. The franchise-tag contract would pay Johnson $16.7 million in 2017, and he would command big money as one of the top free-agent cornerbacks next March.

“This is my sixth year in the league,” Johnson said, “so I understand that it’s a business at the end of the day. You’ve got to learn to separate the personal side from the business side, and control what you can control. At the end of the day, it’s football.”

General Manager Les Snead repeated earlier comments, that the Rams would wait until mid-June, after OTA practices, to resume talks about a possible extension.

“We will not take a summer vacation,” Snead said, “and then see if we can figure something out there.”

STILL OUT

The most notable absence from practice, other than Donald, was starting safety Maurice Alexander, who also did not participate in a veteran mini-camp last month. McVay said then that Alexander was dealing with an injury issue, but McVay did not give an update on Alexander’s status Monday.

John Johnson, a third-round draft pick last month, did not participate for unknown reasons. As expected, Austin did not practice. Austin underwent wrist surgery this month and did some running on the field during practice with his left wrist protected.

MINOR MOVES

The Rams signed two defensive linemen, Omarius Bryant and A.J. Jefferson. In corresponding roster moves, they waived offensive lineman Kwayde Miller, and defensive back Dravious Wright left the team for unknown reasons. The Rams have 89 players on their roster, one fewer than the allowable maximum.

[www.ocregister.com]

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Did John Johnson not pass a physical?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With 89 players on the roster one more move expected. As to the QB position, I'm sure Goff & Mannion will be fine for OTA's, however, I expect them to sign another for training camp. Usually a camp leg is added too so I expect to see that as well.

Psycho_X

Legend
“I think he’s done a nice job just getting better every single day,” McVay said on Monday. “We know that anytime you’re not truly live in some of these periods, it’s always a little bit more difficult. I thought he’s done a nice job managing the huddle, got in and out today. He’s seeing some things, progressing through based on what coverages we’re seeing.”

Part of that growth is likely due to the way McVay sets up his offense. The head coach has often said he wants to make the hardest position on the field — quarterback — as easy to play as possible. Goff said he’s been able to sense that through his work learning the scheme with fellow quarterback Sean Mannion.

“There’s a lot of things that may have been on our plate before aren’t now. But, there’s also some things that are. It goes back and forth,” Goff said. “Obviously, it’s still a tough position but he’s done a good job in the past and with me and Sean so far. He’s taken a lot off of our plate.”

My god McVay is going to be a blessing for this kid. Goff could barely get in and out of a huddle by week1 of last season so this is great to hear already. And just being in a real offense with a real route tree with a real play caller who doesn't make things complicated for no reason is going to be so fun to watch develop. Obviously, shit gets real when lineman are jumping at your legs so we'll see how this progresses but this is encouraging to read compared to how he looked last season with the basics.

General Manager Les Snead repeated earlier comments, that the Rams would wait until mid-June, after OTA practices, to resume talks about a possible extension.

“We will not take a summer vacation,” Snead said, “and then see if we can figure something out there.”

In other words, we want to get a look see at how Tru looks in Wade's defense and then we'll start talking serious money if need be.

STILL OUT

The most notable absence from practice, other than Donald, was starting safety Maurice Alexander, who also did not participate in a veteran mini-camp last month. McVay said then that Alexander was dealing with an injury issue, but McVay did not give an update on Alexander’s status Monday.

John Johnson, a third-round draft pick last month, did not participate for unknown reasons. As expected, Austin did not practice.

I don't like this.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Last year we took a simple offense and complicated it with terminology and unnecessary movement to try and disguise the simplicity from the opposing defense.
This year we are taking a more advanced and modern pro level offense and simplifying it for the sake of success.

Hmm makes a lot of sense

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I always wonder, what is the odds that Goff has had a playbook since....umm...like January? I mean, couldn't he just call D-Jax, Cal Bear buddy...and say, hey man, can I see your old playbook?