Simmons: Experienced Kromer to Lead Young Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams can start their off season program/mini camps 2 weeks before the other teams do which is I believe April 3rd. As for regular camp I think you're correct it's a week earlier.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I get the distinct feeling we're not going to see as much turnover on the OLine as most people want.

I see folks on this forum seeking on average about two new offensive linemen in 2017, and don't see that as excessive. Like WR's, offensive linemen are often sought out on a yearly basis, ... why be good when you might achieve great ? Obviously, I'm not suggesting we are anywhere near good or great, but striving to improve is something every unit wants, and most see LT, OG & Center as areas of weakness. Some want an OG and a Center, others want a LT and a Center, whatever it is, we need to get better. Some of the starters from 2016 may not have to leave in order to improve, they may just end up as back-up reserve players while the roster gets a dose of quality veteran experience or a higher value draft pick. Still, while depth is extremely important, what/who we trot out on the field for starters on our regular schedule must be markably better if we expect our near rookie QB to take the next step, ... and our depth players need better coaching before we can expect them to step in and not miss a beat. We thrust a bunch of (Wichmann, Donnal, Brown) middle and later round players into the fire without a good offensive scheme or what appeared to be a strong foundation developed by exceptional coaching.
My guess for the upcoming season remains at two new players on the OL, more than likely one free agent and one draftee, perhaps even a trade, but even a new coaching staff can watch the tape and observe our shortcomings while trying to strengthen from within. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see folks on this forum seeking on average about two new offensive linemen in 2017, and don't see that as excessive. Like WR's, offensive linemen are often sought out on a yearly basis, ... why be good when you might achieve great ? Obviously, I'm not suggesting we are anywhere near good or great, but striving to improve is something every unit wants, and most see LT, OG & Center as areas of weakness. Some want an OG and a Center, others want a LT and a Center, whatever it is, we need to get better. Some of the starters from 2016 may not have to leave in order to improve, they may just end up as back-up reserve players while the roster gets a dose of quality veteran experience or a higher value draft pick. Still, while depth is extremely important, what/who we trot out on the field for starters on our regular schedule must be markably better if we expect our near rookie QB to take the next step, ... and our depth players need better coaching before we can expect them to step in and not miss a beat. We thrust a bunch of (Wichmann, Donnal, Brown) middle and later round players into the fire without a good offensive scheme or what appeared to be a strong foundation developed by exceptional coaching.
My guess for the upcoming season remains at two new players on the OL, more than likely one free agent and one draftee, perhaps even a trade, but even a new coaching staff can watch the tape and observe our shortcomings while trying to strengthen from within. jmo.

I don't know what to expect honestly. I just keep coming back to this interview Dani did with Kromer.

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/The-Staff-Aaron-Kromer/b9113245-e4ff-4ca1-966f-27c7a08a0d17

He talks about having good young players to mold and make successful. The thing though that's telling is when he says "If I have to convince somebody to play and play hard we have the wrong guys." How many does he feel he can mold? How many does he feel are the wrong guys? We won't know but that first statement makes me think not many will be changed. It's interesting though he also talks about them being young all drafted in the last 2 or 3 years and that's rare because most teams have a guy or two that are 6-10 year vets. He seems to ignore 7 year vet Saffold. If I had to weigh the positions I think will be changed out I'd say from most likely to least likely would be this:

Center
Left Guard
Right Guard
Left Tackle/Right Tackle equal

His track record is building from within first. Just my two cents.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't know what to expect honestly.
If I had to weigh the positions I think will be changed out I'd say from most likely to least likely would be this:

Center
Left Guard
Right Guard

Building from within imo is the right way to go, we're talking about 10 potential roster players on the OL, i'm just suggesting that of all the tape McVay & Kromer will be watching between their hire date and the beginning of free agency and later the draft, he'll still want to boost impact and competition for those coveted starting jobs. jmo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't know what to expect honestly. I just keep coming back to this interview Dani did with Kromer.

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/The-Staff-Aaron-Kromer/b9113245-e4ff-4ca1-966f-27c7a08a0d17

He talks about having good young players to mold and make successful. The thing though that's telling is when he says "If I have to convince somebody to play and play hard we have the wrong guys." How many does he feel he can mold? How many does he feel are the wrong guys? We won't know but that first statement makes me think not many will be changed. It's interesting though he also talks about them being young all drafted in the last 2 or 3 years and that's rare because most teams have a guy or two that are 6-10 year vets. He seems to ignore 7 year vet Saffold. If I had to weigh the positions I think will be changed out I'd say from most likely to least likely would be this:

Center
Left Guard
Right Guard

I found the end part about veterans as Saffold my be on his way out. Why keep his contract & attitude . I think he brings negetive vibes to Greg Robinson.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Saffold has not stepped up as a team leader or vet presence for the younger guys. Kromer's comments ( or lack thereof) seem to me to suggest he thinks the same.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I found the end part about veterans as Saffold my be on his way out. Why keep his contract & attitude . I think he brings negetive vibes to Greg Robinson.

Based on what are you coming to these conclusions?

Saffold has not stepped up as a team leader or vet presence for the younger guys.

Based on what are you coming to these conclusions?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Will see what happens soon.The combine is coming up.We are going to be finding out soon about Saffold.
Cutting Chris Long & Jared Cook last season. Wondering if JL55 has much left in the tank.The Saints released him.

Interesting Long wins Super Bowl. Almost joined the Saints , I think Farley did ?

Jared Cook played well & made that catch to help knock Dallas out of it .

Limey

Rookie
Based on Kromer building from the middle, and his comments about young players, I had the same thoughts as @OldSchool both in terms of which positions he would focus on, and which players may or may not be retained. Having said that, it occurred to me that I'm always quick to defend the young O-liners who have had to endure a variety of half-baked offensive schemes, disjointed offensive game plans and probably very poor coaching. What I tend to forget, as they are older, and have been with the team longer, is that the same is true for Barnes and Saffold. They are both one team players. I don't know how much scope for improvement there is for either of them with better coaching and in a more coherent offensive scheme, but I wouldn't throw either of them away before Kromer gets a chance to work with them, and I like the idea of 1 quality FA addition and a draft pick this year. If the line is still bad next year, sweep it clean then, but I hope it will be significantly better.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Will see what happens soon.The combine is coming up.We are going to be finding out soon about Saffold.
Cutting Chris Long & Jared Cook last season. Wondering if JL55 has much left in the tank.The Saints released him.

Interesting Long wins Super Bowl. Almost joined the Saints , I think Farley did ?

Jared Cook played well & made that catch to help knock Dallas out of it .
If Cook doesn't drop 2 passes prior, on the same drive, it wouldn't have come down to that catch.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a tough spot for Kromer to be in. I mean really, how much can tape help on deciding who to keep or let go?
Sure tape tells a lot, but if the scheme/system was more of a fail, then how do you prospect the players?
Outside of center, I don't really want to see a purge from the roster as much as I want to be able to have a fair evaluation of what we have. I just have a hard time believing that the Rams just drafted bad players all these years, even blind luck should have found one or two keeper

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The current CBA clearly went to far limiting coaches time with players during the off season. Rams position coaches,, like Kromer, who have to evaluate players so they can decide weather to draft a player or sign a FA, can only evaluate by watching film? Film doesn't show a players instinct, intelligence, work ethic, or if the player is even coachable. Some players may not just "click" with the coach (case in point, Boudreau and GRob). You can't see on film what you can see live.

The next renegotiation of the CBA, they need to give new incoming coaches and staff hands on time with players so they can make good evaluations BEFORE the draft and free agency.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Cook doesn't drop 2 passes prior, on the same drive, it wouldn't have come down to that catch.

So you say ?? He had a bunch of other catches in the game as well. Rogers was not afraid to throw to him .
He doesn't block all that well & Green Bay signed him for a good contract.

-- There will be some good finds in FA's this year of players who get released.