Simmons: Brown to Open Training Camp as Starting RT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting the Grob was traded after his demotion to backup RT in OTA's. Perhaps the new coaching staff did not like his reaction. He needed to go.

Rumor has it that Greg Robinson spent more time learning how to rap then he did with the new scheme and his new position, audios amigos my darling. Robinson will never be good because he never understood you needed to spend time in the film room too in order to be a great football player.

Alec Ogletree is an excellent example of this, Ogletree has as much God given talent as Robinson, but Ogletree according to his position coach Joe Barry, Ogletree is the first one at the complex in the morning and that speaks volumes. Robinson never got it and from the neck up is worth a dime.

I'm not sure if Jamon Brown is the answer, but Greg Robinson was a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma and if Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer felt he was a lost cause I don't believe Ron Prince is going to have the light come on for Robinson in South Detroit.

nighttrain

Legend
I've seen G-Rob be successful....I've seen Quick be successful....I've seen Goff.....see the difference? I haven't bashed Goff....I just have written on what I think a rookie QB looks like...OTA's and minicamp are for teaching....if a student doesn't learn fast enough, who's fault is that? If a kid fails at algebra, who's the problem? Backwards thinking...if you blame the kids....
Me too....But I wonder, if our prize QB is cool with experiments at tackle.

I don't think you guys are understanding....I never take a position with only one thought...G-Rob is terrible is what everyone seems to say....Well, the WHOLE LINE LOOKED BAD....Why single him out? Why trade now...what was the benefit? No way that 3.3M gets Donald signed...doesn't do much for Tru either...Why now??? With injuries looming over the horizon, I'd rather have an experienced backup...even if still RAW ....than Pace Murphy or Williams....I'm actually cool with Donnall...hell, he should be the swing lineman....with center included. Armstead is hurt...So is Decker, get something for him in a trade....and try as you might, 6th rounders aint gonna make up for the loss of a #2 overall talent...that we haven't correctly utilized.

Big day today...lil daughters B-Day....so I'll be back to discuss this at length with everyone...stay up Tronny & Flv

I like Goff's talent...trust me....but it's something I see in his eyes...during big games...in the face of the rush....that makes me nervous....and has since college.

Why single him out? Because of his attitude, and his foolish thots on rap lyrics and his football career.
train

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Because of his attitude, and his foolish thots on rap lyrics and his football career.
Train, you believe the hype he was more into rapping than the playbook? A week ago, everyone & their momma said Jason Cole is a lying hack....

nighttrain

Legend
Train, you believe the hype he was more into rapping than the playbook? A week ago, everyone & their momma said Jason Cole is a lying hack....
smoke and fire, then the trade, that's all. Had to be a reason what happened happened
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah I'm thinking they must really like Donnal too. And it looks like he'll probably be the first guy off the bench for OT/OG.
Agree.
Well we all know Andrew Donnal story from last season....started the season very close to joining the WWC's then by the bye he had earned the #6 OL position then by week 11 he was starting. I still think the reason we read up to the point of the GRob trade about just two RT's (Brown & GRob) was Andrew was still involved with catching up from his late January hip surgery. As of late I have seen some photos of #64 in the position of RT.

I still believe the competition for the starting RT post remains up in the air due to the above. But I have no dog in the fight. I like all three of our RT's myself. In addition I believe that Both Jamon & Andrew can be a good starting RT in the NFL. Fact is both can play 3 to 4 OL posts if need be so it does not hurt us one way or another which of these two gets the start. One will be the starter & the other the all important #6 OL'er.

Interesting the Grob was traded after his demotion to backup RT in OTA's. Perhaps the new coaching staff did not like his reaction. He needed to go.
Looks like the starting 5 is set for the OL. Backup battles will be interesting. Donnal is set for a backup spot, Wichmann looks set, after those 2 will be some interesting battles. Rhaney was kept, Blythe was brought in, Williams and Pace look like they are battling for maybe 1 spot. Would think the rams will keep there eye on the waiver wire for players that may come available after the final cuts.
GRob's demotion has came from 3 different HC's in a very short 6 month period of time. He was removed from starting LT post by Fisher, Bones & then McVay. I would think that most NFL players in GRob's position would get a clue after 3 demotion events but as we can see he felt more highly of himself & it did not go well for him.

The right side OL is still undergoing remodeling so I can not agree fully with the thought that the OL is set. In addition the OC post is an area of great concern due to the damage back of Sullivan & the hitting & heavy lifting of TC has yet to start so I still have my doubts on Sullivan's backs ability to stand up to the NFL starting regiment. I am in "Show Me" state of mind on John Sullivan. If JS can return to his previous yrs pre 2 back surgeries then his achievement will give this offense a tremendous uplift!

After that it leads me to the reserve center post prospects Rhaney- Blythe- Eldrenkamp & possibly Wichmann. I have no ideal how this is going to turn out. Rhaney is in his 4th season as a 7th rd pick. Started 1 game out of 32 & it was @ OG it was awful. He has put on some poundage up to 6-1 307 lbs. Sure appears to be a pure OC in the NFL . DR will be a UFA when the season ends. Austin Blythe is smaller than DR & like DR was a 7th rd pick too. But AB played @ Iowa with Donnal..good plus. Did start 1 NFL game @ OC before being cut. AB would seem to fit what Kromer wants to do in the interior.

Jake Eldrenkamp could be a big surprise here plus he can play both OG posts.Wichmann status is unknown at the moment. His rookie & 2nd seasons involved high ankle sprains that hurt his performances. In his 3rd season now he should be Kromer's swing OG. Not so sure Kromer will keep his eyes on the WWC or be close to a priority, Rams have a good overall young cadre of talent here.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Agree.
Well we all know Andrew Donnal story from last season....started the season very close to joining the WWC's then by the bye he had earned the #6 OL position then by week 11 he was starting. I still think the reason we read up to the point of the GRob trade about just two RT's (Brown & GRob) was Andrew was still involved with catching up from his late January hip surgery. As of late I have seen some photos of #64 in the position of RT.

I still believe the competition for the starting RT post remains up in the air due to the above. But I have no dog in the fight. I like all three of our RT's myself. In addition I believe that Both Jamon & Andrew can be a good starting RT in the NFL. Fact is both can play 3 to 4 OL posts if need be so it does not hurt us one way or another which of these two gets the start. One will be the starter & the other the all important #6 OL'er.

GRob's demotion has came from 3 different HC's in a very short 6 month period of time. He was removed from starting LT post by Fisher, Bones & then McVay. I would think that most NFL players in GRob's position would get a clue after 3 demotion events but as we can see he felt more highly of himself & it did not go well for him.

The right side OL is still undergoing remodeling so I can not agree fully with the thought that the OL is set. In addition the OC post is an area of great concern due to the damage back of Sullivan & the hitting & heavy lifting of TC has yet to start so I still have my doubts on Sullivan's backs ability to stand up to the NFL starting regiment. I am in "Show Me" state of mind on John Sullivan. If JS can return to his previous yrs pre 2 back surgeries then his achievement will give this offense a tremendous uplift!

After that it leads me to the reserve center post prospects Rhaney- Blythe- Eldrenkamp & possibly Wichmann. I have no ideal how this is going to turn out. Rhaney is in his 4th season as a 7th rd pick. Started 1 game out of 32 & it was @ OG it was awful. He has put on some poundage up to 6-1 307 lbs. Sure appears to be a pure OC in the NFL . DR will be a UFA when the season ends. Austin Blythe is smaller than DR & like DR was a 7th rd pick too. But AB played @ Iowa with Donnal..good plus. Did start 1 NFL game @ OC before being cut. AB would seem to fit what Kromer wants to do in the interior.

Jake Eldrenkamp could be a big surprise here plus he can play both OG posts.Wichmann status is unknown at the moment. His rookie & 2nd seasons involved high ankle sprains that hurt his performances. In his 3rd season now he should be Kromer's swing OG. Not so sure Kromer will keep his eyes on the WWC or be close to a priority, Rams have a good overall young cadre of talent here.

Donnal could be a starter at RT , however having Brown win the starting job, leaving Donnal in that valuable #6 spot would be the ideal outcome. Havenstein has no one on the roster, except Donnal, that could push for his starting spot. If Donnal is one of the top 5, he should start, but not sure Brown or Havenstein would be able to handle that very important #6 spot. Expect to see Donnal get snaps at C in camp, provided he stays as #6.

Sullivan certainly has to over his back issues for the rams to have any success this upcoming season. The rams will be looking for a starter if he is not, dont see a starter among the backups currently on the roster. Just a hunch, think Sullivan is fine.

Eldenkamp is a rookie, he could make the roster at the 9th or 10th OL, one that is not active on gamedays. Honestly, do no know what to think of Wichmann. He better show something, or think the rams will move on.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Donnal could be a starter at RT , however having Brown win the starting job, leaving Donnal in that valuable #6 spot would be the ideal outcome. Havenstein has no one on the roster, except Donnal, that could push for his starting spot. If Donnal is one of the top 5, he should start, but not sure Brown or Havenstein would be able to handle that very important #6 spot. Expect to see Donnal get snaps at C in camp, provided he stays as #6.

Sullivan certainly has to over his back issues for the rams to have any success this upcoming season. The rams will be looking for a starter if he is not, dont see a starter among the backups currently on the roster. Just a hunch, think Sullivan is fine.

Eldrenkamp is a rookie, he could make the roster at the 9th or 10th OL, one that is not active on gamedays. Honestly, do no know what to think of Wichmann. He better show something, or think the rams will move on.
I would tend to agree with you about NOT having an NFL starter @ center if Sully's back can not hold up. It it were me & I were Kromer I would be looking hard @ Cody Wichmann. CW has great size for a center @ 6-5 325 plus pounds. CW is under contract for the next 2 seasons & his salary cap hit is dinky.

View: http://www.therams.com/team/roster/Cody-Wichmann/4f42c08a-f5e1-476c-b9e1-64c7c9984330

CW has NFL starting experience he has played in 24 games & started 18 of them plus he finished another 3 games as the starter too. CW suffered the dreaded high ankle sprain early in mini camp during his rookie season. Once he was fully healed he finished the #10 game @ RG for Jamon Brown then finished off 7 straight games as starter. Not too bad for a rookie 6th rd selection.

Last season CW won the starting LEFT OG post in TC & was first team starter @ LG in all pre season games in front of veteran Garrett Reynolds, Demetrius Rhaney & David Arkin. The LG post was in contention because Rodger Saffold was moved to RT. Boudreau up & flipped CW wk#1 back to rotate @ RG when Saffold returned to LG. CW rotated @ RG with Jamon Brown. By wk#2 CW beat Jamon Brown out as starter & sent Jamon Brown to the bench. The RG was CW's alone. He finished the rookie season as the main starter @ RG.

CW started the first five games until he once gain suffered a second high ankle sprain & missed gm #6 due to it & was forced to start on it wk #7 & was hardly able to stand on it. During the bye & the week before game #9 he did not practice. He did start gm #9 @ RG but was noticeably gimped. CW continued to start for 4 more games until he aggravated the same high ankle sprain thus putting him on the shelf for the rest of the season.

Just how CW fits into this interior ZBS is unsure but if healthy CW would be our thickest & strongest OC by far. The size to hold bay with the big NT's with power. He has an anchor. CW was known in college to land his down block in nice spot & seal off. His problem may be when his duties require that he depart his post & make that block in space. CW has shown that he will miss. CW's other issue is adjusting to a DT's sudden change of direction so he has a lot of work to do.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I believe @CoachO who often said grob didn't put in any work in the classroom to get better. That makes the story believable.