Simmons: Brown to Open Training Camp as Starting RT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What's also forgotten in all this is the fact that GROB was going to be a f/a come next off-season and so with AD, Ogeltree and Tru our top contractual priorities, there was no way we were going to be able to reserve funds for GROB, whether his play merited a raise or not;

I think this was part of the logic too.

That... and the depth behind him, in their minds, wasn't a drop off.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
@LACHAMP46 I wish you were this passionate about Goff and not a 4th year bust. You bash Goff after his one year under the old regime but back GRob saying we should wait and see how he does under the new regime and the old one didnt know what to do. Thats what it seems like at least. Are you saying that OTA's and minicamp dont matter in evaluating players? That training camp is the only time a coach can evaluate a player?

BeefJurky

Rookie
Attitude, work ethic. Could be a number of things unrelated to pure ability.
The biggest thing Grob had going for him (and the entire reason we drafted him in the first place) is raw ability/potential, and look how that worked out.
So yea, I'd say you're pretty spot on.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@LACHAMP46 I wish you were this passionate about Goff and not a 4th year bust. You bash Goff after his one year under the old regime but back GRob saying we should wait and see how he does under the new regime and the old one didnt know what to do. Thats what it seems like at least. Are you saying that OTA's and minicamp dont matter in evaluating players? That training camp is the only time a coach can evaluate a player?

It's perplexing.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Somebody said it earlier... Kromer and McVay had plenty of film on G-Rob, and obviously didn't think he was going to get any better. And if that one report was true, and G-Rob was more interested in music and than football, good bye.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Well.... I'm glad they moved on from Robinson..we need cap space... I'd honestly wouldn't mind us doing the same with 1 or 2 other of our higher paid guys if we could do it without losing much with what we have left...

but I am a little nervous about Brown at RT...I'll give him a pass somewhat on coming back from injury last year.... He seemed out of shape last year also... and honestly hasn't played well at all for any extended period of time in a season...

I trust that they see improvement...but I'm glad we still have Donnal and Murphy..and really think we should look to sign someone if we can...

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I think this staff is smart enough to put Brown in the most advantageous position possible to succeed. Whether that's making his assignments more simple or giving him TE help against the better DE or LB's he will face. I'm not freaked out at the thought of Donnal behind him at the moment.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, do we think Kromer knows what he he'll he's doing, or not?

If Kromer prefers Hav at RG and Brown at RT, who am I to say different?

Gotta trust Kromer here. He's earned it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't forget Donnal can play LT as well. If memory serves me correctly, he did a pretty good job at it too.

Yeah I'm thinking they must really like Donnal too. And it looks like he'll probably be the first guy off the bench for OT/OG.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I've enjoyed this thread, but my greatest worry here is that this line is so likely to suffer what we've seen typically over the last 14 years--an inordinate amount of injuries. Now, last year was an anomaly as they were relatively healthy as a unit AND STILL STUNK, but counting on a 35 yo LT, a notoriously oft injured LG, a C who hasn't been a full time starter since 2014 due to a couple back surgeries, a RG who hobbled through last year on one foot at tackle, and a RT who rivals Saffold in DNP's due to injury, and I can't imagine this unit being the same into a playoff run. To me, the development of the next five guys is Kromer's second greatest challenge and the one I will value most this preseason. Getting Hav and Brown ready to handle either position on the right side is a genius depth move if it works beyond the possible evaluation they might be best suited for their new roles.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've seen G-Rob be successful....I've seen Quick be successful....I've seen Goff.....see the difference? I haven't bashed Goff....I just have written on what I think a rookie QB looks like...OTA's and minicamp are for teaching....if a student doesn't learn fast enough, who's fault is that? If a kid fails at algebra, who's the problem? Backwards thinking...if you blame the kids....
Me too....But I wonder, if our prize QB is cool with experiments at tackle.

I don't think you guys are understanding....I never take a position with only one thought...G-Rob is terrible is what everyone seems to say....Well, the WHOLE LINE LOOKED BAD....Why single him out? Why trade now...what was the benefit? No way that 3.3M gets Donald signed...doesn't do much for Tru either...Why now??? With injuries looming over the horizon, I'd rather have an experienced backup...even if still RAW ....than Pace Murphy or Williams....I'm actually cool with Donnall...hell, he should be the swing lineman....with center included. Armstead is hurt...So is Decker, get something for him in a trade....and try as you might, 6th rounders aint gonna make up for the loss of a #2 overall talent...that we haven't correctly utilized.

Big day today...lil daughters B-Day....so I'll be back to discuss this at length with everyone...stay up Tronny & Flv

I like Goff's talent...trust me....but it's something I see in his eyes...during big games...in the face of the rush....that makes me nervous....and has since college.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I've seen G-Rob be successful....I've seen Quick be successful....I've seen Goff.....see the difference? I haven't bashed Goff....I just have written on what I think a rookie QB looks like...OTA's and minicamp are for teaching....if a student doesn't learn fast enough, who's fault is that? If a kid fails at algebra, who's the problem? Backwards thinking...if you blame the kids....
Me too....But I wonder, if our prize QB is cool with experiments at tackle.

I don't think you guys are understanding....I never take a position with only one thought...G-Rob is terrible is what everyone seems to say....Well, the WHOLE LINE LOOKED BAD....Why single him out? Why trade now...what was the benefit? No way that 3.3M gets Donald signed...doesn't do much for Tru either...Why now??? With injuries looming over the horizon, I'd rather have an experienced backup...even if still RAW ....than Pace Murphy or Williams....I'm actually cool with Donnall...hell, he should be the swing lineman....with center included. Armstead is hurt...So is Decker, get something for him in a trade....and try as you might, 6th rounders aint gonna make up for the loss of a #2 overall talent...that we haven't correctly utilized.

Big day today...lil daughters B-Day....so I'll be back to discuss this at length with everyone...stay up Tronny & Flv

I like Goff's talent...trust me....but it's something I see in his eyes...during big games...in the face of the rush....that makes me nervous....and has since college.
You've seen Robinson be successful? He had like a 5 game streak in 2015 where he didn't commit any penalties. But that was about it. Also, Quick has literally never had a 100 yard receiving game with us. That's the opposite of successful. Jared Goff had a rough season but the first half vs the Saints is all I needed to see to determine his potential. Your thinking is backwards sometimes man.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Decker is hurt...the Lions starting LT......Now New Orleans LT is hurt...both from shoulder injuries....we should know shoulders well from our own Roger Saffold...So one reason is insurance...The second, we should have waited for just such a situation to arise before shopping Greg. What was the rush? It's offseason...the worst we could have done was..what, cut him?!? Negotiate from a position of strength. These two injuries provided that.

My last point is, I'm not sure Brown or any other player is a better (see available) RT on our roster...

I get the culture change....if his attitude was awful, shoulda cut/traded him sooner...
Just to add to my previous comments about waiting. New Orleans was never going to trade for GRob. They took Ryan Ramczyk in the draft at 32. He was slated to compete for RT now they can move him to compete with Khalif Barnes who was their backup LT. He might have gone as depth but there was less of a need to scramble in New Orleans because they drafted smart with their pick at 32.

fearsomefour

Legend
That's an interesting comment. I hope the Jamon's and others development part is on point. I'm not sure if we get the real answer as to the Greg Robinson evaluation.
It will interesting to see.
Brown was largely terrible when he has been on the field.
That said, new scheme may fit his skill set better. Time may have given him an opportunity to address his sizable weaknesses in technique. He may be getting those weaknesses addressed by better coaching. The guy was drafted because he had a certain skill level, he got the NFL and was oberwhelmed. The dumpster fire O didn't help either.
My only concern with Havenstein at G is his size....a tall guy playing too upright at G is a very bad thing. But, he could do well if he can play with good bend.
All that said I am very interested to see Brown at RT. I didn't have much hope for him at G. Also, really interested to see how Murphy looks at LT. So strange how this player development stuff works. If, and it's a big if, Murphy can be a solid backup LT it would be a major score. All the scouting, watching film, doing interviews, reviews and projections and a team can totally swing and miss with the 2nd overall pick and find solid depth in an UDFA? Less like a science and more like throwing darts at a spreadsheet.
Anyway, some interesting depth battles....Murphy, Donnal, Wichmann and whomever ends up at back up C. Would be such a bonus to this team of those guys can provide good depth and be developed.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, do we think Kromer knows what he he'll he's doing, or not?

If Kromer prefers Hav at RG and Brown at RT, who am I to say different?

Gotta trust Kromer here. He's earned it.

I concur as Aaron Kromer one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL and quite frankly, he seems to have tapped into something. Havenstein issue last season was holding the edge of course his ankle did not help and Brown has taken to RT, which again he did play at Louisville so my feeling for Brown is pass protection, he had trouble inside and that is where Wichmann showcased an upper hand, but again, preseason will provide us a window to see how everything breaks out.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Isn't his poise while being rushed something almost everyone likes? I think you're the first person I've heard of (very small sample size, I'll admit it) that see something bad when he's being rushed.

And second, what big games? He started in zero big games last year. Fisher waited until he couldn't make a difference before starting him.

He may not be a superior looking athlete, but that doesn't make someone good anyway.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Interesting the Grob was traded after his demotion to backup RT in OTA's. Perhaps the new coaching staff did not like his reaction. He needed to go.
Looks like the starting 5 is set for the OL. Backup battles will be interesting. Donnal is set for a backup spot, Wichmann looks set, after those 2 will be some interesting battles. Rhaney was kept, Blythe was brought in, Williams and Pace look like they are battling for maybe 1 spot. Would think the rams will keep there eye on the waiver wire for players that may come available after the final cuts.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You've seen Robinson be successful? He had like a 5 game streak in 2015 where he didn't commit any penalties. But that was about it. Also, Quick has literally never had a 100 yard receiving game with us. That's the opposite of successful. Jared Goff had a rough season but the first half vs the Saints is all I needed to see to determine his potential. Your thinking is backwards sometimes man.
5 good games is success...Quick can't make the OC or the QB throw him the damn ball, yet he still won us some games.....that's not the opposite, that is the definition of success. Jared Goff season was more than rough, it was terrible. Literally one of the worst seasons EVER for a QB...First half versus the Saints...the worst defense in the NFL...and he still had a bad GAME. Terrible in fact, given the Saints defense. And I'm thinking backwards? OK

Just to add to my previous comments about waiting. New Orleans was never going to trade for GRob. They took Ryan Ramczyk in the draft at 32. He was slated to compete for RT now they can move him to compete with Khalif Barnes who was their backup LT. He might have gone as depth but there was less of a need to scramble in New Orleans because they drafted smart with their pick at 32.
Greg is FROM N.O.....may have been some interest...never know now. Ramczyk is slated to be a RT...Was in the RT position. I heard some other names...and guess what, Greg looks like a better option than them for LT...The position he WANTS to play.

Isn't his poise while being rushed something almost everyone likes? I think you're the first person I've heard of (very small sample size, I'll admit it) that see something bad when he's being rushed.

And second, what big games? He started in zero big games last year. Fisher waited until he couldn't make a difference before starting him.
I'm the first person....where, in here? The national media, and a bunch of analysts believe he looked terrible when pressured last year. From Pac-12 play, he never got it done...as in WIN...when faced against superior opponents. NEVER. EVER. Every game in the pros is a big game....he didn't win ONE game last year...not even when the defense played well..In fact, after a few games, the team appeared to quit..... Right after he was inserted into the lineup....And, the first game he played, if he plays decently, we probably win that game....so he did make a difference...He increased our odds of losing....with terrible play.