Simmons: Brown to Open Training Camp as Starting RT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Brown to Open Training Camp as Starting RT

By Myles Simmons

The Rams made a significant trade on Wednesday morning, sending offensive lineman Greg Robinson to the Lions for an undisclosed draft pick.

While the move will give Robinson a fresh start in the NFC North, it also has consequences for Los Angeles’ offensive line. Jamon Brown has been taking snaps at first-team right tackle since the second week of OTAs, and on Thursday head coach Sean McVay said he will open training camp as the starter.

“Jamon has done some really good things. Right now, he will be the guy that will be the tackle when we go out there, but by no means is our starting lineup set in stone,” McVay said. “We’re going to continue to evaluate these guys and try to put them in situations that are competitive, where you really, truly evaluate what goes on in games. And then the preseason is going to be a great tool for us as well.”

One reason the Rams felt comfortable making the move to trade Robinson is the depth the club feels it has along the line with Andrew Donnal and Pace Murphy, in addition to Brown.

“You have Jamon’s development and some of those other guys at the tackle position that enable you to move a player like Greg and feel good about it, because of what he has done and put on tape,” McVay said. “It was more of a credit to those others guys than anything that Greg didn’t show us.”

According to McVay, Los Angeles’ deal to send Robinson to Detroit developed rapidly over the last few days. With Lions left tackle Taylor Decker undergoing shoulder surgery that will keep him sidelined for a significant portion of the season, Detroit had an immediate need at the position.

“It was something where a couple other teams had expressed some interest,” McVay said. “Fortunately we were able to get a thing done that we felt was good for both Detroit and the Rams.”

Plus Robinson himself. McVay referenced Robinson telling Detroit media that having a fresh start is “refreshing” and that he plans to make the most out of it. The timing of the trade also benefits both Robinson and the Rams, as it gives the parties a chance to make necessary adjustments over the NFL’s summer break.

“I think it allows Greg to be able to have a fresh start, knowing where he’s going to be, especially when you have a bit of a break,” McVay said. “Then it also gives us a chance to figure out what you want to do to make sure you get your numbers, where now you lose a lineman and you want to make sure you have the appropriate numbers going into training camp with your 90[-man roster] and how you want to shape that — based on the evaluation of the guys we do have in-house right now.”

For now, the two on the right side are Brown and Rob Havenstein. It’s a familiar pairing, though they’re in different spots than they were when drafted in 2015. According to McVay, the plan is to keep Brown at tackle and Havenstein at guard.

“He did a nice job of adjusting inside, so I think that’s what we’re going to do moving forward,” McVay said of Havenstein. “It wasn’t exactly how you project and anticipate moving forward. You’ve got to be able to adjust. I think, to Rob’s credit, his ability to be able to transition to that spot inside is a credit to his approach from an above-the-neck standpoint, with how smart and instinctual he is.

“What you do feel good about is, if for whatever reason something were to happen to Jamon at that tackle spot, you have a guy that is playing the guard position who has also played good ball at the right-tackle spot,” McVay continued. “And it’s hard to find those types of guys.”

[www.therams.com]

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
So anyone else find it interesting that under the new coaching staff our starting RG and RT have flipped positions from the last regime? Did Fisher and co get it wrong? Does McVay and Kromer see something in the two that makes more sense at those positions instead? Interesting stuff.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd like to say "Congrats" to Brown for winning that job. Not surprised in the least by it, and felt he was a top 5 OL for us all along (admittedly at OG not OT), but man it feels good to see the kid get a shot to start camp with the job.

I expect him to hold onto it and bust his butt to be a solid RT for us. Good things ahead IMO.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'd like to say "Congrats" to Brown for winning that job. Not surprised in the least by it, and felt he was a top 5 OL for us all along (admittedly at OG not OT), but man it feels good to see the kid get a shot to start camp with the job.

I expect him to hold onto it and bust his butt to be a solid RT for us. Good things ahead IMO.
I just hope he can stay on the field.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So anyone else find it interesting that under the new coaching staff our starting RG and RT have flipped positions from the last regime? Did Fisher and co get it wrong? Does McVay and Kromer see something in the two that makes more sense at those positions instead? Interesting stuff.

Different schemes tend to value different skill-sets.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“I think it allows Greg to be able to have a fresh start, knowing where he’s going to be, especially when you have a bit of a break,” McVay said.

Translation - he was gonna be cut in final cuts. May as well get something for him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd like to see the depth chart heading into camp
Here is an offenisive Line Depth Chart.

LT....Whitworth, Murphy
LG...Saffold, Wichmann, Kozan
C...Sullivan, Rhaney, Blythe, Eldrenkamp
RG...Havenstein, Donnal
RT...Brown, Donnal, Williams, Dunn

IMHO, Rams will keep 9 come September Morn.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I just hope he can stay on the field.

Myles Simmons spoke about the Rams feel good about the depth too with the likes of Andrew Donnal & Pace Murphy....Funny when the Rams drafted Andrew Donnal I felt that was a huge reach and now, he's first OL off the bench.

Ram65

Legend
“You have Jamon’s development and some of those other guys at the tackle position that enable you to move a player like Greg and feel good about it, because of what he has done and put on tape,” McVay said. “It was more of a credit to those others guys than anything that Greg didn’t show us.”

That's an interesting comment. I hope the Jamon's and others development part is on point. I'm not sure if we get the real answer as to the Greg Robinson evaluation.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That's an interesting comment. I hope the Jamon's and others development part is on point. I'm not sure if we get the real answer as to the Greg Robinson evaluation.

IMHO, I think they feel good about Andrew Donnal who will be the backup RT, in fact, I felt that was the best position Donnal played for the Rams filling in against the Ravens before his injury in 2015. I need to see more of Pace Murphy because I was very impressed with Darryl Williams in 2015, not so much last season as Murphy seems solid at LT, but I'm sure we shall see much more of him because I don't want Whitworth playing very much in preseason.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams made a significant trade on Wednesday morning, sending offensive lineman Greg Robinson to the Lions for an undisclosed draft pick.
I thought it was already known to be a 6th round Draft pick! Is it, or is it not!?!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
One reason the Rams felt comfortable making the move to trade Robinson is the depth the club feels it has along the line with Andrew Donnal and Pace Murphy, in addition to Brown.

I'm still a little confused how they are evaluating LINEMEN without pads....?
Honest question?

Seems like BS....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honest question?

Seems like BS....
If they see a guys not willing to put in the work without pads on to learn the new scheme and learn his position as they want it played what makes them think he'll put the work in with pads on? They clearly saw something that made them feel he wasn't worth the time. We all saw him on the field and know his short comings. I'm amazed though that you're defending GRob here.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Honest question?

Seems like BS....

The evaluation at this stage has more to do with the ability to execute the assignments in the playbook with proper technique. This is what Robinson could never get, though he is plenty physical enough. This is also why McVay said that the lineups are far from etched in stone. It's a process that begins from the neck up and will be finally evaluated with pads on the grass.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm amazed though that you're defending GRob here.
Didn't know I was defending him....more, how can you truly evaluate line play or players without the physical component of padded practices?
Also, with the injuries many of our linemen have suffered, wouldn't it be wise to keep a lil experience out there for depth?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Kromer knows what he is doing.His resume tells you so.
I trust his judgment completely.
Oh boy....I've heard that somewhere before...Now Kromer knows how to evaluate guys that haven't completed ONE block in his scheme....ok