Simmons: Best Quotes from Week 1 of OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Best Quotes from Week 1 of OTAs
Posted 3 hours ago

Myles SimmonsRams Insider@MylesASimm

Between coaches and players, the Rams had plenty to say from the first three OTA practices. Here are a few of the best press conference soundbites.

GENERAL MANAGER LES SNEAD

Is Aaron Donald's absence from OTAs contract related? “Here’s what I’ll tell you — we were aware that he was not going to be here. So at the end of the day, it has something to do with the contract. I can tell you this, we’re definitely at the serious stages of renegotiating — going to keep all of the details in-house. But respect Aaron as a player, a person, respect his representation, and respect the process. … We’ll keep [the contract discussions] intimate, but we’re at the serious part of the discussions."

Translation: Jesus H. Christ, the hell with the water tables in Inglewood, pay Donald, will you!

HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

Do you envision tight ends Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett being on the field at the same time? “Anytime that you get into some of those 12 personnel sets or however many times you want to play with more than one tight end, it does give you some flexibility. And we’ve seen good things from Temarrick Hemingway as well. I think we’re always just looking to find, what are the best ways we can create personnels? When you have some depth at the tight end position it gives you that ability.”

Translation: I'm going to try and cheat like hell, it seems to be working in New England.

QUARTERBACK JARED GOFF

How would you describe this offense in comparison to last year? “It’s way different. It’s a way different offense. Personally, from my brief experience with it. I’ve had a quicker time learning it, easier time learning it. I don’t know whether that’s scheme or the way it’s taught or whatnot, but I’ve enjoyed spending time with the coaches and picking it up pretty quickly.”

Translation: There is a God!

Do you feel like the culture has changed? “Absolutely. It’s been a great change so far. I think Coach McVay and his staff have implemented that and I think everyone has bought in. Honestly, I think from the leaders on the offensive side and the leaders on the defensive side have raised expectations and raised the standard. With that everyone seems to follow and so far I believe it’s been a really good change.”

Translation: And that God is Sean McVay.

ASSISTANT HEAD COACH/LINEBACKERS COACH JOE BARRY

What has impressed you about middle linebacker Alec Ogletree? "The thing I love about it is he grinds every single day. I walk through my meeting room every morning at 6:30 in the chow hall, and there’s ‘Tree in the meeting room watching film — every single day. We’ve talked about consistency as the truest measure of performance — he’s consistent every single day."

Translation: I can't eat at the cool table

MIDDLE LINEBACKER ALEC OGLETREE

Is it the energy defensive cooridnator Wade Phillips brings sort of surprising considering his age? "Oh no — I mean, he’s doing what he loves to do. And for somebody to do it for a long time has to be doing something right. And he has a top defense almost every year that he’s been coaching. So I guess you have to experience it just to know why. But once you get to know him and see how he moves about, you can tell that he’s a legend in this game."

Translation: He runs well for an old fat guy.

OFFENSIVE LINEMAN RODGER SAFFOLD

What kind of adjustment will Rob Havenstein and Greg Robinson have to make going to right guard and right tackle, respectively? "Well you know there’s challenges. You guys already know I went through that, having to switch sides. So it’s just, right handed is going to be different. It’s a different type of speed. Your hips are different. Setting back, you’re going to have to kind of get that feel to be like, ‘How can I go against a speed guy? How can I go against a bull rusher?’ These are the basics that you’re going to have to re-learn. And then it depends on how you look at the plays. If you look at the plays. If you look at the plays as left and right, you’re fine. If you look at the plays as frontside and backside and you switch to the other side of the line, it can almost mess you up a little bit. You’ll get a little bit dyslexic. So you really have to focus in on the calls."

Translation: I'm sure glad I don't have to tell Robinson what to do anymore.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
A little bit dyslexic Roger? That's putting it mildly. Re-learning basics? That shouldn't be hard, they didn't know the basics to begin with.:redcard:

Roger and his OL buddies need to get their shyt together because none of what MCVay has done will mean squat if they play like they did last year. Whitworth and Sully can't do it by themselves.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Roger and his OL buddies need to get their shyt together because none of what MCVay has done will mean squat if they play like they did last year. Whitworth and Sully can't do it by themselves.

I concur, nobody played well last season on the offensive line and that includes Saffold. The addition of Whitworth and Sullivan should put an extra zip in Saffold's step and last season Havenstein had an ankle issue so let's hope a healthy wheel will get Big Rob back to when he played as a rookie. As to the ingnima now playing Right Tackle, well, all I can think of what Kromer must of said was similar to Gene Hackman's quote in Hoosiers first time meeting the team..."Let's see what hand I've been dealt."

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've defended GRob for some time now. I always thought there was some kind of dis-connect between GRob and Boudreau, and Boo just wasn't up to teaching. (any of them IMHO). I started thinking that when Reynolds started playing next to GRob and he all of a sudden started playing better.

It's now up to new OL coach Kromer to bring these guys along. If he can't get GRob playing decent football, I'm done defending him.
The OL is the most critical unit that absolutely HAS to get better or McVay, Kromer, Snead and the whole new regime will be seen as a complete failure.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Writing is on the wall for GRob. They already opted out of his 5th year. He either makes big strides and plays with some discipline or he's going to be benched and maybe cut and some other team can play his silly @$$ game.

Still don't think he's one of our five best OL. But I do still think Brown is.