Simmons: 5 Takeaways from Day 1 of OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
he Rams began Phase III of their offseason program on Monday with their first organized team activity practice. Here are five takeaways from the first session of OTAs.

1) Aaron Donald absent

The biggest story from Monday was the absence of All-Pro defensive tackle Aaron Donald. General manager Les Snead confirmed following practice that it’s a contract-related issue with Donald, and that the club was aware he would not be in attendance at OTAs.

[MORE: Snead, McVay discuss Donald’s absence from OTAs]

There have been discussions between the Rams and Donald’s representation, which Snead said have reached the serious stages.

“These things — it’s a process,” Snead said. “We like Aaron, there’s no doubt. He’s a really good player. We want him to be a Ram. That’s our goal. I think his goal is to be a Ram, and that’s what we’re working toward.”

“I’m very hopeful that this thing will get done,” Snead added.

2) Goff picking up offense well

While second-year quarterback Jared Goff is learning a new offense head coach Sean McVay, he said he’s picking up this scheme well.

“It’s a way different offense. But personally, from my brief experience with it, I’ve had a quicker time learning it — an easier time learning it,” Goff said. “I don’t know whether that’s scheme or the way it’s taught or what not. But I’ve enjoyed spending time with the coaches and picking it up pretty quickly.”

[MORE: Goff exhibiting quality leadership during offseason program]

Offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur recently praised Goff for being a quick study.

“He’s really grasped the offense surprisingly fast, especially for a new guy,” offensive coordinator LaFleur said at rookie minicamp earlier this month. “When you get a new guy in an offense, there is a transition period with that, but he’s done a nice job at picking it up at a surprisingly quick pace.”

3) Goff has added weight

Last year, Goff came in sporting 215 pounds on his 6-foot-4 frame. Now, he’s added some weight as he begins OTAs in Year 2.

“I’ve probably put on five to 10 pounds,” Goff said. “I feel good. I feel strong. I feel like this is the best shape I’ve been in in a long time. But that’s kind of been every year. Every year I’ve kind of gotten bigger and stronger and I’m still growing. I don’t think I’m growing in height, as much as I’m getting a little bit wider.”

4) Woods developing chemistry with Goff

The Rams brought in free agent wide receiver Robert Woods to be a reliable target for Goff, and so far the two are doing well to get on the same page.

“We’ve been connecting,” Woods said. “The biggest thing is we’re talking in the meetings, and we’re coming out here and seeing it on the field. We’re seeing how the defense plays, and the biggest thing is we’re coming out here and executing what we’ve talked about.”

Woods brought up one play in particular from Monday, where conversations between the two paid off.

“Just coming out here when we work, he listens. We’re out here communicating,” Woods said. “The same pass we completed today, we had the same look a few weeks ago. And this time, he threw it and it was a perfect pass. He just puts the ball in perfect position for the receivers to make plays.”

5) What about a third quarterback?

Right now, the Rams have two quarterbacks on their roster in Goff and backup Sean Mannion. Teams typically carry three if not four quarterbacks during the offseason, but right now head coach Sean McVay appeared content with where the Rams are.

“I think something we’ve got to do a good job of monitoring the pitch count with Jared and with Sean Mannion, just making sure we’re not wearing them out,” McVay said. “I think we will look into [adding another quarterback] at some point. When that happens is in the offseason or for training camp — we’re kind of evaluating that right now. The way that we’ve got it set up with going two OTAs, then kind of a phase one day and then that last OTA for the week, we feel good about those two right now and we’ve got a couple of coaches that can throw it around if necessary as well.”

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/5-Takeaways-from-Day-1-of-OTAs/3ca82a9e-677f-4c92-b801-527e0dbea7ad

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I chuckle at thin guys that talk about being 5-10 pounds heavier...I gain 5-7 pounds dining at a Texas de Brazil and it takes a couple of days of working out and running 5 miles a day to get back down, but boy is it worth it. Anyway glad Goff is adding weight just hope it's in the right area and that he's being supervised by new strength & conditioning coaches Ted Rath, Edward Grayer & Blair Wagner.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3) Goff has added weight

Last year, Goff came in sporting 215 pounds on his 6-foot-4 frame. Now, he’s added some weight as he begins OTAs in Year 2.

“I’ve probably put on five to 10 pounds,” Goff said. “I feel good. I feel strong. I feel like this is the best shape I’ve been in in a long time. But that’s kind of been every year. Every year I’ve kind of gotten bigger and stronger and I’m still growing. I don’t think I’m growing in height, as much as I’m getting a little bit wider.”

People seem to forget sometimes how young he is and he's still growing into his body. Wentz is older than him therefore more filled out. Hell people cite Mannion doing things that Goff hasn't and he's 3 years older with another year in the league. I can't wait for Goff to put all the doubters to bed.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I can't wait for Goff to put all the doubters to bed.

NASA-Pro-5.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“It’s a way different offense. But personally, from my brief experience with it, I’ve had a quicker time learning it — an easier time learning it,” Goff said. “I don’t know whether that’s scheme or the way it’s taught or what not. But I’ve enjoyed spending time with the coaches and picking it up pretty quickly.”

Man that quote says a LOT.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I chuckle at thin guys that talk about being 5-10 pounds heavier...I gain 5-7 pounds dining at a Texas de Brazil and it takes a couple of days of working out and running 5 miles a day to get back down, but boy is it worth it. Anyway glad Goff is adding weight just hope it's in the right area and that he's being supervised by new strength & conditioning coaches Ted Rath, Edward Grayer & Blair Wagner.

When I was playing, I was at a minimum 4,300 calories a day just to maintain 185 lbs. Now that I'm on my own and can't afford that, I get about 2,500 calories a day and weigh about 165-170

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Reminds me of a song about weight....
coming out feeling bout 10 lbs lighter....yeah I can dump 5 pounds after a good crap. LOLOL

I don't get all the he's this age..he's that....

I looked at Mitchel Trubisky.....big ass neck...solid shoulders...looks like a pro QB to me...from the days of Vince Ferragamo....big QB's...ready to play and take a pounding. Size isn't everything...but it says something about dedication. I would bet several rookies from last year are significantly different in body styles...I looked at Andrew Donnall last year....in person, dude looks nothing like his rookie year....I'm expecting Higbee & Hemingway to do the same... Troy Hill better be bigger...Mike Jordan better be ready...Paul McRoberts..Spruuuce, Cooper....I could go on and on Brian Randolph, Marquez North...or...get ready for that tap on the shoulder when we cut down to 53.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Goff must be living the dream. Imagine how he felt last season learning a shit scheme from Fisher and boras. Must have thought what he did to deserve that hell. You can hear the excitement in his voice just by reading what he was saying.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Man that quote says a LOT.
yeah, and when I think about it I would imagine a lot of what we hear is through a filter. For once I'd like to hear what they are truly thinking.. hmm or maybe not.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I get about 2,500 calories a day and weigh about 165-170
I'm a tad envious at 220-225 (6'3) always a battle...Played at 250lbs in college, but like you was lifting every day so it sure was distributed much better, however, now suffering from Dunlap Disease I have to be more careful.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
...I looked at Andrew Donnall last year....in person, dude looks nothing like his rookie year....I'm expecting Higbee & Hemingway to do the same... Troy Hill better be bigger...Mike Jordan better be ready...Paul McRoberts..Spruuuce, Cooper....I could go on and on Brian Randolph, Marquez North...or...get ready for that tap on the shoulder when we cut down to 53.
If the 10 Players you just mentioned here^ I'll bet at least Half of them don't make the Cut!(y);):D

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I weigh 190 lbs and try to eat decent. My roommate eats more than me and like 4k calories a day and is 150 lbs soaking wet. We both work out together too. If he doesn't eat and drink a ton he will literally lose 5 lbs in a week. People's bodies are different. And I hate his cause I wish I could eat a ton and not gain shit. He wishes the opposite.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reminds me of a song about weight....
coming out feeling bout 10 lbs lighter....yeah I can dump 5 pounds after a good crap. LOLOL

I don't get all the he's this age..he's that....

I looked at Mitchel Trubisky.....big ass neck...solid shoulders...looks like a pro QB to me...from the days of Vince Ferragamo....big QB's...ready to play and take a pounding. Size isn't everything...but it says something about dedication. I would bet several rookies from last year are significantly different in body styles...I looked at Andrew Donnall last year....in person, dude looks nothing like his rookie year....I'm expecting Higbee & Hemingway to do the same... Troy Hill better be bigger...Mike Jordan better be ready...Paul McRoberts..Spruuuce, Cooper....I could go on and on Brian Randolph, Marquez North...or...get ready for that tap on the shoulder when we cut down to 53.
LOL
Trubisky isn't a grand total of 5 pounds heavier. Maybe he needs to occupy the stall next to you for a dump that'll give Jason Cole something quality to write about.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

You can hear the excitement in his voice just by reading what he was saying.

If there is one thing we have learned about Jared Goff in the short time he has been donning horns is, he is unequivocally, undoubtedly and absolutely..."Excited."

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe

Big Rob Havs arms looking big. Maybe it's just me but he looks a lot bigger than last year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think McVay has thought it through and decided a 3rd QB would take away teaching time for the 2 he has. McVay continues to impress me.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
People seem to forget sometimes how young he is and he's still growing into his body. Wentz is older than him therefore more filled out. Hell people cite Mannion doing things that Goff hasn't and he's 3 years older with another year in the league. I can't wait for Goff to put all the doubters to bed.

I'd still take Wentz....damn shame.