Signing Mark Barron was Genius. Mark My Words. Barron Will Be the Lynchpin of a Dynasty Defense!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
The Barron review was an epic joke. The dude was a beast for us last year. Don't really if it was his only good year. It's the only year he was used properly.

I couldn't agree more with Jack D. Barron was the 7th overall draft pick, oodles of talent, and until last year NOBODY knew how to use him. Jack D is essentially balls on accurate on Mark Barron. Besides we need Barron and Ogletree to surprise our opponents with Linebacker side line to side line mayhem!

4 years from now the Salary Cap will exceed 200 million, and Mark Barron will look like the steal deal of the century. Tis possible Mark Barron and Alex Ogletree will be in the conversation for BEST 10 linebacker corps of all time. Before you laugh at me and post blue sarcastic fonts my direction remember linebacker corps change accordingly to what YOU NEED TO STOP THIS DECADES OFFENSE. The Steelers Lambert, Ham and Eggs and Jack Russell were effective in 78 against the RUN, but I don't think they would as effective now. Oh they would be good, maybe great, but not unbelievable. And try to keep the four together in the Modern Salary Cap AGE!

The Saints Rickey Jackson, Sam Mills, Vaughan Johnson and Pat Swilling kicked ass, but they don't have the lateral speed of Alex Ogletree and Mark Barron. Alex Ogletree and Mark Barron are Twin side line to side line tackling machines.

The Giant Linebacker all time greats Lawrence Taylor. Harry Carson, Gary Reasons and Carl Banks instilled fear in QB's, OK yeah! They made a bad ass 3-4 linebacker corp! But in today's Salary Cap and NFL parity you could never keep those 4 Musketeers together for more than two years.

Bottom Line- I could give a flying frigging Wallenda over a high trapeze wire without a net for ignorant uninformed journalists critiquing Rams Free Agent Moves. How dare they!:argue: They don't know us! Those lazy ass journalists obviously gloss over second hand media hearsay, for they have not an inkling or a clue about what they're prattling about, for they know not what we RAM's got on defense. They don't see the depth, they don't see the strategy we see.

We must embrace a Winning Dynasty Mentality. make shrewd moves, and not succumb to the Cleveland Brown Cognitive Dissonance Curse!

We must extend our young Aaron Donald, Olgetree, and Brockers. Sign our dynasty keystone core up! Would you rather have Jenkins or Aaron Donald. It hurt me emotionally to lose Jenkins and McLeod. I'm over it now, because I figure our starting safeties are already on our roster. I believe Gaines can and will be more consistent then Janoris Jenkins.

I like our free agency moves. As an extra bonus we CUT COOK ( the sluggard) and that in turn fixed our Tight End salary cap imbalance. We were paying the 3rd highest for Tight Ends. I can smell, I can see Sneed's winning strategy developing. I believe our Rams are on the verge of being very good. And with Salary Caps exploding, Mark Barron is a Bargain. Mark my Red Barron words. I'm gonna grab a beer and a Red Barron Pizza and toast our free agency off season because I LIKE IT and I believe we win the Superbowl within 3 years!

Mark Barron? I call that a bargain!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_pPf7OqiE

Last edited:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
You really want this LB corps to "be all that"?? Draft myles Jack and put HIM in the middle. It would be THE most athletic LB group there is!

Ram65

Legend
4 years from now the Salary Cap will exceed 200 million, and Mark Barron will look like the steal deal of the century. Tis possible Mark Barron and Alex Ogletree will be in the conversation for BEST 10 linebacker corps of all time.

That would be great. I am a little apprehensive about Tree at Mike but with his speed and length I'm excite to see him play in the middle. Barron was doing it all last year providing, great run support, very good coverage and surprise blitzes. I thought the deal was money well spent. Barron is the current age linebacker that can do it all. I was thinking this afternoon that the Barron deal deserved a better grade all all around that reflects his all around ability. Thanks Ramsey.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
WOW! I want some of what you've got @Ramsey LOL I'm glad they got Barron back and I love Tree but I am concerned about him taking over in the middle and teams adjusting to that light package with a heavy run game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Barron was the Rams' best signing. No doubt about it in my mind and he's gonna kill it. Should be a Pro Bowl player this year.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Barron was my favorite player to watch last year on defense. He's an interesting story.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Love the energy and like Barron and Tree but will pump the breaks on top 10 greatest of all time. Both are practical playing new positions next year. Tree has never played the middle and Barron doesn't even have a full year under his belt. Not worried and think they will be fine, but can't say I'm not a little concerned though. That being said one of the better posts I have read. Never stopped smiling while I was reading it

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
A few of us here, including myself, were fine with the money Barron got. Yes, he's getting paid like one of the top players at his position but that only makes sense because, as far as I'm concerned, he is.... and he is only getting better. Time will tell which camp ends up being right. All of the Rams LBers should be really fun to watch next season.

Debacled

Starter
Really like what Barron provides for the RAMS.

That said, did they really have to drop 9m a season on him? Who were they bidding against other than themselves? The Cardnials at this point seem to be the only other team out there that runs anything remotely like the LB/SS hybrid they had Barron playing last season.

That contract makes him the 4th highest paid safety in the league (which I know isn't where they will use him) or the 2nd highest paid 4-3 OLB (or tied for 10th highest paid LB in all of football).

Like I said I love what he bring to the team but man, did they shell out the sheckles to keep him around without apparent fits elsewhere in the league (of course for all I know there may have been a ton of interest)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really like what Barron provides for the RAMS.

That said, did they really have to drop 9m a season on him? Who were they bidding against other than themselves? The Cardnials at this point seem to be the only other team out there that runs anything remotely like the LB/SS hybrid they had Barron playing last season.

That contract makes him the 4th highest paid safety in the league (which I know isn't where they will use him) or the 2nd highest paid 4-3 OLB (or tied for 10th highest paid LB in all of football).

Like I said I love what he bring to the team but man, did they shell out the sheckles to keep him around without apparent fits elsewhere in the league (of course for all I know there may have been a ton of interest)

can't compare it to what happened before. this increasing salary cap is a whole new ballgame. let's see whatever FAs get paid next season. i'll bet it's more than barron.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Barron is key to our defense and will only get better in that hybrid position. But if we somehow had a chance to get M.Jack that would give us the best front 7 in football imho.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I hope you guys are right - I'm very wary of the "the Rams are on the verge of being a regular playoff team" thoughts during the offseason though... they've not delivered now for a number of years AND we still don't have a decent QB....

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I am glad we kept him on the team, nose for the ball, great attitude, doesn't show boat, very talented. we need more players like him. we are going to have a very young team again this year, can't wait.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have two guys playing small. I don't care if Tree's weight is close to JL, they're built differently. JL was only bad at the end because he couldn't get off blocks. I don't see that improving with Tree. Hope I'm wrong.

With our star studded D line we got GASHED in the running game at times last year. I think it's because of our LBs, and IMO, we got better versus the pass at LB, but versus the run we're the same. That's still not good enough.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
With our star studded D line we got GASHED in the running game at times last year. I think it's because of our LBs, and IMO, we got better versus the pass at LB, but versus the run we're the same. That's still not good enough.
We did give up some big plays here and there, and it absolutely was because of the LB situation (and to a lesser extent the DBs), but it wasn't horrible. We still ranked 13th in yards per attempt. And even more importantly, tied for 3rd in rushing TDs allowed. Ogletree may not be as big or strong as Laurinaitis, but he's significantly quicker. Some of the times I saw Laurinaitis get washed out of a play were due to his being caught flat-footed in diagnosing the situation. He'd kind of flow with the play and let the blockers come to him (and that could have been by design). He didn't shoot gaps as much as I think Ogletree will, and he certainly can't recover from an over-commitment as quickly as Ogletree can. I think that ranginess and agility will serve him well at MIKE.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We did give up some big plays here and there, and it absolutely was because of the LB situation (and to a lesser extent the DBs), but it wasn't horrible. We still ranked 13th in yards per attempt. And even more importantly, tied for 3rd in rushing TDs allowed. Ogletree may not be as big or strong as Laurinaitis, but he's significantly quicker. Some of the times I saw Laurinaitis get washed out of a play were due to his being caught flat-footed in diagnosing the situation. He'd kind of flow with the play and let the blockers come to him (and that could have been by design). He didn't shoot gaps as much as I think Ogletree will, and he certainly can't recover from an over-commitment as quickly as Ogletree can. I think that ranginess and agility will serve him well at MIKE.

With the money we've put into this defense, we cannot afford to be 13th in any category on defense. I hope Tree and Barron are up to the task.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
With the money we've put into this defense, we cannot afford to be 13th in any category on defense. I hope Tree and Barron are up to the task.
Agree. Looks like the Rams are putting an emphasis on speed now by moving Tree inside, picking up Sensabaugh, and locking up Barron as the hybrid defender. Almost like they're moving away from the Buddy Ryan scheme to more of a Jimmy Johnson 4-3. Being smaller on defense isn't as daunting as it sounds when you consider how successful Jimmy Johnson was on all levels of football by matching offensive speed with defensive speed. The backs in the NFCW are becoming faster. Lynch and Gore were big bruising type backs, but that's not the staple anymore in the division. And the Rams' record outside of the division against teams with quicker offenses wasn't that great. I welcome any change where we increase speed on defense. The idea is to get guys who can hit and cover and just let them make plays by having your dominant D-line force the issues. I read a little blurb recently where some of the coaches on the D side of the ball for the Rams (allegedly) felt like Laurinaitis was handcuffing the defense. And I could see that. Great, great guy, never-ending motor, highly intelligent, durable, and excellent locker room presence. But not fast. Not at all fast, and not at all agile.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You really want this LB corps to "be all that"?? Draft myles Jack and put HIM in the middle. It would be THE most athletic LB group there is!
I think Jack will go in the Top 5, and I don't see the Rams going up that High for a LB! Maybe a DE, but not a LB!;):D