Signing Jenkins is still a possibility. However...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It's gonna be a tight fit given the current circumstances.

The good news is that the Rams say that they want him, and they do have the cap space available.

But here are the potential hurdles...

Non tampering FA negotiations start in just 6 days.
Official signings start in just 8 days.
Jenkins currently has no agent, a self inflicted wound I might add.
Jenkins may be butt hurt and embarrassed, hardly an ideal state of mind for important negotiations.
Can the Ram negotiations be concluded in the 4-5 days after JJ's new agent hiring becomes official?
Might JJ's new agent be distracted by negotiations with other teams for his other clients, or is JJ his only tagged client?

Those are quite a few hurdles to jump before JJ hits the open market, huh?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
JJ likely won't be an immediate signing for anyone as his new team, the same team who represented Revis, gets up to speed.

That said, we should know pretty quickly whether they choose to make a formal counter offer or allow teams to submit offers.

I suspect they will just sit a few days and field offers.

The good advice would be to work the offers and get the deal done relatively quickly while there is still FA money to be had and FOs haven't mostly turned their attention to the draft.

If they get greedy and go full Revis and hold out for what they think he's truly worth, he may end up somewhere on a prove it deal... Which would be idiotic, but we'll see what they do.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's gonna be a tight fit given the current circumstances.The good news is that the Rams say that they want him, and they do have the cap space available. But here are the potential hurdles...
Non tampering FA negotiations start in just 6 days.
Official signings start in just 8 days.
Jenkins currently has no agent, a self inflicted wound I might add.
Jenkins may be butt hurt and embarrassed, hardly an ideal state of mind for important negotiations.
Can the Ram negotiations be concluded in the 4-5 days after JJ's new agent hiring becomes official?
Might JJ's new agent be distracted by negotiations with other teams for his other clients, or is JJ his only tagged client?

Those are quite a few hurdles to jump before JJ hits the open market, huh?

I not going to spend much more time on JJ & would to prefer moving on to our other FA's.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Only way they'd sign both CBs as FAs is if something is going on with Gaines and they're worried about him being back. Because he's more disciplined than either of those guys and might be better than either of them next season and Joyner is coming on too.

So it's gonna be interesting to see if they make the effort with Jenks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Only way they'd sign both CBs as FAs is if something is going on with Gaines and they're worried about him being back. Because he's more disciplined than either of those guys and might be better than either of them next season and Joyner is coming on too.

So it's gonna be interesting to see if they make the effort with Jenks.

There is something going on with Gaines. His injury usually takes more than a year to recover from, and then it often has lingering affects for years.

They could be planning on Roberson or Joyner to play opposite Tru, in the case that they don't sign JJ.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
There is something going on with Gaines. His injury usually takes more than a year to recover from, and then it often has lingering affects for years.

They could be planning on Roberson or Joyner to play opposite Tru, in the case that they don't sign JJ.

If we need to, there are options like Mackenzie Alexander, Vernon Hargreaves, and Eli Apple that look very promising in the draft. Then when Gaines comes back, we will have solid depth (which is key since we have had bad injury luck in our secondary).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fisher/Snead have never been shy about drafting DB's.

Drafted 2 in 2012, 2 in 2013 & 4 in 2014. That's 8 totaled in just 3 drafts. 7 of the 8 finished on the season ending roster. 3 safeties & 5 corners. Two 2nd rders. two 3rd rders, one 4th, one 5th & one 6th rder. During that time Fisher developed 3 UDFA DB's.

Last 2015 draft was the first time Fisher/Snead refused to venture into Zero DB's in the draft. I would bet that with so many nice DB's in this draft that if the Rams have a need @ FS or CB I would almost guaranteed one to be secured.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If we need to, there are options like Mackenzie Alexander, Vernon Hargreaves, and Eli Apple that look very promising in the draft. Then when Gaines comes back, we will have solid depth (which is key since we have had bad injury luck in our secondary).

Of course there are other options. I was replying to Merlins comment "Only way they'd sign both CBs as FAs is if something is going on with Gaines and they're worried about him being back". I was just saying there is something wrong with Gaines

However, other options with first round CBs is not an ideal situation when the Rams are staring at other needs, when they had CB covered. It does seem though, that JJ is a goner. He seems to take business dealings very personally and not only will there be a matter of contract, but also his emotions to overcome. At this point I don't think they sign him, but I also don't think a first round corner is in the plans either, since they don't know where Gaines is at with his injury, and they do have Roberson and Joyner that could get them by for a season or two.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
JJ, McC, Barron - all of these guys will see what is offered and all will likely give the Rams a chance to respond (match) before they pull the trigger on anything.

Rams gotta be hoping that JJs pre draft reputation is still in tact.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
maybe its just me, but I dont see why not pay him whatever it takes. where else is that money going to go? Unless they go after a FA QB, I cant see them spending money on any offensive player except maybe a TE, which wont cost much based on the ones available. I say sign as many of our defensive FAs as we can and keep that unit in tact and continue to build the offense via the draft.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
maybe its just me, but I dont see why not pay him whatever it takes. where else is that money going to go? Unless they go after a FA QB, I cant see them spending money on any offensive player except maybe a TE, which wont cost much based on the ones available. I say sign as many of our defensive FAs as we can and keep that unit in tact and continue to build the offense via the draft.
If they have cap $ left over they can use that to resign others that are going to be up next year or two and front load the contract for next year. Myself I fear as soon as JJ gets top $ he will lead the league in TD against cause he is guessing and trying to jump routes. I am in the camp of offer a fair deal and if he doesn't like SEE YA.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think JJ will be gone. He has too high of a price in his head for himself and the guys that marketed Revis will try to use that leverage. Oakland and Jacksonville both need CB and have much more $$$$$ than we do. Gaines and Robertson will fight it out for his spot next year or they'll get someone in the draft to compete. But getting contracts for McCleod, Johnson and needing to get one ready for McDonald next year will weigh a bit heavy on the Rams mind.