Sick freak. I want this guy in horns .

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Everybody benefits. Long, Quinn, Laurinaitis, Mikell/Stewart...
I know, 3-4 DT. But still.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVara-e9DCQ[/youtube]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Username said:
What did he weigh in college?
330-340 lbs. Give or take.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXMku4m3twI[/youtube]

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
As long as he can keep his weight manageable to the point where he's still mobile, I see no problem in drafting him running a 4-3.

We need a DT fuckin bad.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
zn said:
The knock on Poe is short arms.

It really doesn't matter that much. You want long, vine-like arms out of your offensive tackles and defensive ends, but it seems like a very trivial reason to knock a defensive tackle.

I don't see Poe falling to the second round. Think Shaun Rogers with a motor. No, that's not an insult; if Rogers showed any signs of having a motor, he'd be one of the elite defensive tackles in the NFL.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
We were discussing Still vs Brockers a couple days ago. After the combine I think Poe may have surpassed Brockers as the most likely candidate to be the second DT off the board.

Poe looks like he could be a fixture in the heart of any d-line. He maybe better suited for a 3-4 but he strikes me as a guy that could be successful no matter the scheme. Wilfork showed last year that prototypical 3-4 guys can still be effective in 4-3s.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Something about this guy screams workout warrior. Only 8 tackles for loss last year and 1 sack playing in the Conference USA. Not too exciting if you ask me. He's got amazing size and that 40 is freakish, but I think the only reason he was projected as a first rounder from the get go is because of his size and ability to play NT, something a lot of NFL teams are aching for.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://bruce-feldman.blogs.cbssports.co ... w/31626208

Dontari Poe: More than just a Combine Freak?

Every year one prospect lights up the NFL combine by putting on a dazzling showing as the Freak of all freaks. Monday, Dontari Poe, a 6-4, 346-pound defensive tackle from Memphis, was That Guy.

We've been touting Poe for a year or so now after being told about him by a Memphis staffer of his staggering athleticism. The guy squats over 700 pounds, bench presses over 500 and power cleans over 400, all jaw dropping numbers, but he's more than just weight room powerhouse. He was also a Tennessee state champion shot putter in high school, a testament to some of that explosiveness.

As expected, Poe was impressive in the weight room in Indy, benching 225 pounds 44 times, more than anyone else at the combine. But it was when he dug his cleats in to run the 40-yard dash Monday morning when jaws really dropped. Poe was unofficially timed at an unheard-of 4.87 seconds. And this was as the fourth-heaviest defensive linemen to weigh in at the Ccmbine since 2000. Later, the league announced his official time was 4.98, which is still remarkable for such a mammoth athlete.

Some immediately wondered if Poe is just a "workout warrior"? After all, he only was named to the second-team All-Conference USA team in 2011 with 33 tackles, eight TFLs and one sack for the nation's No. 115 defense. The year before, he was just an honorable mention all-league pick.

In truth, it's tricky to try to read too much into the stats of an interior defensive lineman. Poe, as one college coach who faced him this year pointed out to me Monday, was not surrounded by much talent. You shaped your game plan around him, the coach said. Plus, different defensive scheme dictate how "productive" certain D-linemen can be. Steelers star nose man Casey Hampton's been to five Pro Bowls and he barely registers on the postgame stat sheet.

I spoke to a veteran O-line coach who faced Poe several times during his college career. His take: "He's probably the best talent I've seen in several years. He took plays off and wasn't a great effort guy, but he is a freakish talent."

But don't all 320-plus pound D-linemen take some plays off?

"Yeah," said the coach, "but he took off more than most. He did get better last year than he was the year before. He just was never that productive, but I heard they didn't require him to do that much. He was definitely someone I took into account with schemes. ... I'm not at all surprised to hear that he's blowing up at the combine at all. He was never on the ground in college."

That last detail may actually be just impressive as the speed Poe displayed Monday, because as the O-line coach said, it shows the guy's great balance.

"It's the first thing I look at in recruiting linemen.

"He has definite first-round talent."

Anonymous

Memento said:
zn said:

It really doesn't matter that much. You want long, vine-like arms out of your offensive tackles and defensive ends, but it seems like a very trivial reason to knock a defensive tackle.

I don't see Poe falling to the second round. Think Shaun Rogers with a motor. No, that's not an insult; if Rogers showed any signs of having a motor, he'd be one of the elite defensive tackles in the NFL.

It's a common knock on defensive tackles. Many say it was the downfall of Damione Lewis, for example.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
Memento said:
zn said:

It's a common knock on defensive tackles. Many say it was the downfall of Damione Lewis, for example.
Meh. I gotta agree with Mem on this one. Arm length for a NT isn't as important as DE. Especially one as quick as Poe. And we're only taking about an inch, really - inch and a half tops. I don't think one inch in reach is going to make the difference between tackling someone and not tackling them. How many finger-tip tackles do you see anyway?