SI: First round trades you may see

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://nfl.si.com/2013/03/29/2013-nfl-draft-first-round-trades-you-may-see/?sct=uk_t12_a6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nfl.si.com/2013/03/29/2013-nfl-d ... =uk_t12_a6</a>

During the run-up to the 2012 draft, much of the attention centered on the No. 2 overall pick. The Rams dangled that selection for the rest of the league, with Robert Griffin III as the bait, before the Redskins dealt away three first-round picks and a second-rounder to claim it.

There does not appear to be such drama in store this year, at least at the top of the draft. The main reason: The 2013 draft, while bereft of obvious superstars, is as deep as any in recent memory. So many of those trade talks may occur in Rounds 2, 3 and beyond.

But that does not mean that Round 1 will be a stick-to-the-script affair. Which teams might try to move up the draft board? We take a look at some candidates:

Arizona Cardinals (No. 7), Buffalo Bills (No. 8)
Target Player: QB Matt Barkley
Where He’s Expected to Go: Top 10

The quarterback situation at the top of this draft is a tough one to peg. Are the Jaguars or Raiders going to take a QB with the No. 2 or No. 3 pick, respectively? If not, then Geno Smith could be around when Cleveland goes on the clock at No. 6 … unless one of these two teams jumps.

And what’s the quarterback pecking order? The general consensus is that Smith is the top prospect available at that position, but there are definitely arguments to be made after that for Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon and others.

Keep an eye on Philadelphia (No. 4) and Detroit (No. 5). Should Arizona or Buffalo decide it’s time to get aggressive for a new quarterback, those would be the targeted picks. The Eagles or Lions might agree to slide down for a swap of first-rounders plus an additional pick later in the draft.

San Diego Chargers (No. 11)
Target Player: OT Lane Johnson
Where He’s Expected to Go: Shortly after Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher

While there’s uncertainty atop the quarterback draft board, the standing at offensive tackle is pretty clear. Texas A&M’s Luke Joeckel and Central Michigan’s Eric Fisher represent the top two players there, in some order, with Johnson a not-too-distant third.

So, if Joeckel and Fisher come off the board within the first five or six picks, as is expected, that would put a premium on the Oklahoma product. San Diego, sitting at No. 11 in the first round, badly needs to upgrade along the offensive line and Johnson could be a great fit. But it might require the Chargers to make a move — both to leapfrog any other interested teams and to ensure that no other franchise can do the same.

St. Louis Rams (Nos. 16 and 22), Minnesota Vikings (Nos. 23 and 25), San Francisco 49ers (No. 31)
Target Player: WR Tavon Austin
Where He’s Expected to Go: Top 12

Austin continues to pick up steam as the draft approaches, with more and more teams becoming intrigued by the possibility of adding him to their offense.

The floor for Austin might be that No. 16 pick of St. Louis’. With the Rams holding two first-rounders and in need of receiver help (and, specifically, slot receiver help with Danny Amendola departing), Austin is a natural fit there. But that reality also gives several other teams a baseline from where to start their trade talks, while St. Louis could feel the pressure to climb even higher if Austin is the goal.

Minnesota, also with two first-rounders, is an obvious candidate to move. So, too, is San Francisco, which worked out Austin this week and has 15 draft picks with which to orchestrate a deal.

Chasing Austin could require a big move, though, as teams like Tampa Bay (13), New Orleans (15) and Pittsburgh (17) would at least toy with the idea of drafting the West Virginia WR. The aim here, then? Let’s set it at the Jets’ No. 9 selection.

Pittsburgh Steelers (No. 17)
Target Player: OLB Jarvis Jones
Where He’s Expected to Go: ????

Jones is one of the draft’s biggest wild cards. He has the talent of a top-five pick, but health concerns and so-so workouts left his draft stock in flux.

That could work to the Steelers’ benefit. Pittsburgh has lost more than its fair share of veterans lately, thanks to salary cap issues, with OLB James Harrison among the more recent cuts. While Pittsburgh may prefer to stay put and play it safe in this draft, the prospect of adding Jones might be too tantalizing to ignore, even if the Steelers think he’s going to be off the board before they pick.

Pittsburgh is not a team known for wheeling and dealing come the draft, but its needs on defense could shift the plan.

Chicago Bears (No. 20)
Target Player: G Jonathan Cooper
Where He’s Expected to Go: Top 20

The Bears hold the final selection in the top 20, so one of the draft’s two elite guards — Chance Warmack or Cooper — could fall into their laps. However, for a team that’s badly in need of an upgrade on the O-line, there will be some nervous moments should one of those two (likely Warmack) hear his name called early.

Chicago doesn’t figure to put all its chips on the table to move up a few spots, but a swap with, say, Miami at 12 or Carolina at 14 could be mutually beneficial.

Baltimore Ravens (No. 32)
Target Player: LB Kevin Minter or Manti Te’o
Where They’re Expected to Go: Late in Round 1

If Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome has taught us anything this offseason, it’s that he is more than happy to let the market come to him. Given that, maybe it’s unrealistic to consider Newsome packaging a couple picks for a small leap in Round 1.

And yet …

The Ravens remain in a relatively dire situation up the middle, where both Dannell Ellerbe (free agency) and Ray Lewis (retirement) are gone off last year’s Super Bowl team. Either Minter or Te’o — plus someone like Kansas State’s Arthur Brown — would greatly ease the transition into 2013.

If Minter and Te’o linger on the board deep into Round 1, then Baltimore can just sit tight and decide. Should one or the other land elsewhere (like Chicago at 20), the Ravens might attempt to parlay the No. 32 pick and a second- or third-rounder into a top-25 selection.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I fully expect someone to jump up to 15 to take Austin in front of us. We aren't fooling anyone, and everyone and their mother knows we need WR help badly. Just like last year when the Jagoffs jumps in front of us to take Blackmon.

iced

HE WITH HORNS said:
I fully expect someone to jump up to 15 to take Austin in front of us. We aren't fooling anyone, and everyone and their mother knows we need WR help badly. Just like last year when the Jagoffs jumps in front of us to take Blackmon.

which has worked in our favor , imo..

brockers has a bigger impact for our D than Blackmon did for Jacksonville's O

Remember what snead said? It's nice to be able to go into this draft with 'wants' instead of 'needs'. I don't expect the Rams to be making any trades to move up

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
HE WITH HORNS said:

If they do so be it. Austin would be nice but i would rather get players the waste a draft pick moving up for one player.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If 3 QB's go earlier, and then Austin goes, Patterson is probably there. Pettis can play the slot.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Instead of someone jumping us, I'd trade the #16 and let a team pick up Austin if the price was right. Not San Fran though.

A55VA6

Legend
If Austin goes, Patterson will probably be there. If they both go, then there is a damn solid player on the board regardless of need.

Either way, I think we'll be fine come draft day.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Please please don't trade up to get Austin. I don't doubt his playmaking ability but I'd hate to see an additional draft pick vanish when we've got key holes still to fill.

Speeps

Starter
If I'm the Rams, I wouldn't trade up to get Austin. I firmly believe he will fall in their laps. Patterson, and Keenan Allen are still considered two better prospects, because everyone likes the height, weight, speed guy. Austin is rated as the 3rd WR across many smart football peoples boards, and I would expect that hold true come April 25.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
We've got far greater needs than 1 WR and we only need to look at last year towards Blackmon (who everybody said we had to draft) to know that 1 player doesn't make an offence...

We shouldn't trade up, we need as many draft day picks as we can get and the WR pool is deeper this year than for a long time, there will be plenty of guys that can help the O in the second or third rounds - have faith in Givens and Quick ;)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the Rams see Austin as a difference maker for them, I support a trade up.

But; I don't know if they view him as a sure thing. Because they need to be absolutely certain if they make that deal.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
What I believe is that the Rams will take a receiver at 16. The value in the first round, in this draft and for the Rams, is playmakers. After that, I expect they'll want to trade down because this draft is so deep.

Whether that receiver is Austin or Patterson, who knows?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
bluecoconuts said:
If 3 QB's go earlier, and then Austin goes, Patterson is probably there. Pettis can play the slot.
Thats fine but who's going to ignite the return game?

lasvegasrams

Rookie
I don't think a trade up happens, I actually even expect a trade down before a trade up. Snead has mentioned he wants to draft on talent, not necessarily on needs. So I doubt using a draft pick that we used to give away RG3 would be "wasted" on reaching for Tavon Austin, especially if Patterson is close to him as a WR.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
lasvegasrams said:
I don't think a trade up happens, I actually even expect a trade down before a trade up. Snead has mentioned he wants to draft on talent, not necessarily on needs. So I doubt using a draft pick that we used to give away RG3 would be "wasted" on reaching for Tavon Austin, especially if Patterson is close to him as a WR.

I tend to agree with this.

I can't wait to see the strategy of this draft play out.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
DR RAM said:
Instead of someone jumping us, I'd trade the #16 and let a team pick up Austin if the price was right. Not San Fran though.

I think you're pretty on the mark there. Feeding frenzy for Austin? Might as well cash in and take an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick. Certainly wouldn't hurt to finagle some extra depth via the draft, and we all know it's deep with talent.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Warner4Prez said:
DR RAM said:

I think you're pretty on the mark there. Feeding frenzy for Austin? Might as well cash in and take an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick. Certainly wouldn't hurt to finagle some extra depth via the draft, and we all know it's deep with talent.

I'm wondering if this particular draft is actually deep on talent or void of any standout prospects???? When there is the perception that there is no talent in this draft comparable to RGIII, Calvin Johnson, etc. everyone else seems pretty equal in comparison thus creating the illusion of depth?