SI: A scouting report on Rams running back situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
A scouting report on Rams running back situation

Eric D. Williams
a day ago

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Look, I get it. You’re drafting for fantasy football and want to know the distribution of carries between Malcolm Brown and Cam Akers.
Who’s going to be on the field on third down? What player will get more touches in the red zone? Will one of them be the workhorse back? Well, I’m not the play caller for the Los Angeles Rams -- that’s Sean McVay, and he hasn’t handed over the call sheet. That said, the best I can do here is provide some info gleaned from talking with running backs coach Thomas Brown, with some numbers sprinkled in.

Brown had this to say when asked about a couple important things he values in a player. “I tell my guys every day there’s two things you can control, that’s your effort and your attitude,” Brown said. “You can’t control my attitude. You can’t control other players or coaches’ attitude. You can control what you bring to the table every single day.

“We all have different things that we deal with outside of football, but being able to be locked in and be present every single day and kind of maximize the opportunities that you have is one thing I preach to my guys.”

Look, coaches value running backs that can pass protect in critical situations so the quarterback does not get killed, have a nose for the end zone and take care of the football.

Expect Brown to be on the field on third down and in red zone. Brown had a career-high five touchdowns last season on 15 red zone touches. Brown has one lost fumble on 197 carries.

Akers could be a guy who is on the field when the Rams play up-tempo and things are simplified from a play-calling perspective, or the Rams want to exploit an individual matchup. You might also see Akers in the game on early downs when the McVay wants to pound the football.

Running backs coach Thomas Brown was gracious enough to provide a scouting report on all five of the runners in his position group.

Malcolm Brown: “I call him Mr. Reliable. He’s a very reliable guy, and he does a very good job of every single day kind of setting a tone for our group. He’s obviously a veteran player that understands the ins and outs of our league. And he kind of sets the tone from a work ethic standpoint and how to be successful at this level. Malcolm is a one-cut, downhill guy. He’s not a huge in-space, wiggle guy. But he does a great job playing behind his pads. He can be very effective in the pass game. He has a great understanding and knowledge when it comes to third-down ball, and when it comes to pass protection and understanding what we do. It kind of gets complicated for us on third down when it comes to our 2-Jet and 3-Jet protection package.”

Cam Akers: “He’s a young rookie who is super-talented and very explosive. He’s got a ways to go from a knowledge standpoint, but I’ll tell you what, this guy comes to work every day and learns from his mistakes. Our defense has been tough to go against, and it’s going to be great working with him preparation-wise for the upcoming season. I’m really excited about his development, watching him learn and grow. And having a guy like Malcolm has been great for him to be around.”

Darrell Henderson Jr.: “He’s a super explosive guy through the hole, but also being a load. We kind of call him a bowling ball at times, once he gets rolling, being a hard guy to bring down.”

John Kelly: “He’s kind of similar to Malcolm as far as a physicality standpoint. I think they are both kind of one-cut, downhill guy and he’s had a really productive camp so far.

Xavier Jones: “He’s made some strides the last week or so. Xavier had limited reps at the start of camp, but had some opportunities here recently and has made the most of them, kind of showcasing his abilities in this last scrimmage that we had. He has the ability to be a change-of-direction guy, play with the ball in his hands, and like Cam he’s still a rookie that’s developing and growing.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This guy, btw, has been putting out some good shit this year. Not sure if he was doing this last season but he's a nice addition as is SI committing a writer to the Rams. (y)

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The RB coaches comments kind of make me wonder why we drafted a RB in the 2nd. If Brown is good in all aspects and Henderson is the explosive change of pace, why would we need another? I like Akers, but honestly, we had bigger fish to fry in the draft IMO.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This guy, btw, has been putting out some good shit this year. Not sure if he was doing this last season but he's a nice addition as is SI committing a writer to the Rams. (y)
lolll he just copied and pasted the transcript from the media interview with the RB coach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
lolll he just copied and pasted the transcript from the media interview with the RB coach.
True. But he's been providing some good takes during this offseason. Wasn't sure if folks knew SI was in the biz of team coverage.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The RB coaches comments kind of make me wonder why we drafted a RB in the 2nd. If Brown is good in all aspects and Henderson is the explosive change of pace, why would we need another? I like Akers, but honestly, we had bigger fish to fry in the draft IMO.
I found the coach's commentary on Brown akin to describing a girl you're going on a blind date with as "got a real good personality"

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

because brown has shown nothing in his 5 years in the league that says he can carry any type of load and be effective or stay healthy. that's why.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Because Brown is reliable but unspectacular and injury prone. We didn't draft Akers for a year. We drafted him because we think he can be special. Brown is likely gone after this year or next and has always been better as a rotational HB and special teamer.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
If this were the Westminster dog show I would say the OP sealed the deal on order of depth. It is not the Westminster but I still think the order spoken about is the order of the depth chart

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

This should be a common thing now. The league is going to make the Rams another cowboys, Pat's or Raiders of the league. So now that the Rams have their new NFL head quarters and flagship stadium we should be hearing a lot more about our Rams. Will be nice. Especially since our sports talk out here sucks

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Akers, but honestly, we had bigger fish to fry in the draft IMO.

Without Akers, and now Henderson down... You’re down to Brown plus... ?

Would you have just gone FA route?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I know people have seen enough of his injury history, but I'm in Malcolm Brown's corner here.

This is his year. He's going to stay healthy while the rookies learn the ropes and really excel at hitting whatever holes our offensive line gives us, and we're going to love how he keeps Goff on his feet with excellent, consistent pass blocking on first and second down as well as third, while McVay continues to go to the air as opposing defenses continue to prioritize stopping the rush.

This is optimistic me.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
What about blocking for our Franchise QB??? And what about having the "vision" to see the holes before they close up??? Not sold on Henderson in either regard. I expect Cam to take the vast majority of the snaps starting week 5.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
In 2018, CJ Anderson was a vital part of the Super Bowl run. As a one cut runner, he was efficient and reliable and yet in 2019, he was expendable. Enter Malcolm Brown.

Brown is a very important part of 2020 because the offense requires reliability and efficiency to be effective. Negative plays can thwart drives much more than explosive plays can extend them. We should count our lucky stars that MB is available this season.

With that said, the young, explosive backs are being developed to elevate the offense from good to great. Akers can provide the kind of versatility and productivity we came to expect from Gurley but we can’t discount the learning curve necessary to becoming an NFL back in this offense. I expect he will be limited to the few plays he understands well to begin the season and expand his role as his development permits. Hopefully he gets it quicker than Gerald Everett has. Talent alone is only part of the equation.

The other element that can’t be ignored is ball security. Henderson’s uncontested fumble ruined the 9’er game and his chance to shine. Akers has coughed up the ball a few times in camp and that hasn’t been ignored by the coaches. How many times have we heard McVay preach about turnovers being a significant indicator of wins and losses?

Trust is the #1 factor in evaluating the RB corps. The most significant reps will go to the players McVay trusts to execute their assignments and secure the football. This alone makes Malcolm Brown the Ram’s lead back and everyone else jockeying for position after him.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I will be surprised and disappointed if Brown is our ‘starting’ RB.

It would indicate to me that Akers and Hendy have both lagged behind where the coaches had expected them to be, pure and simple.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
In 2018, CJ Anderson was a vital part of the Super Bowl run. As a one cut runner, he was efficient and reliable and yet in 2019, he was expendable. Enter Malcolm Brown.

Brown is a very important part of 2020 because the offense requires reliability and efficiency to be effective. Negative plays can thwart drives much more than explosive plays can extend them. We should count our lucky stars that MB is available this season.

With that said, the young, explosive backs are being developed to elevate the offense from good to great. Akers can provide the kind of versatility and productivity we came to expect from Gurley but we can’t discount the learning curve necessary to becoming an NFL back in this offense. I expect he will be limited to the few plays he understands well to begin the season and expand his role as his development permits. Hopefully he gets it quicker than Gerald Everett has. Talent alone is only part of the equation.

The other element that can’t be ignored is ball security. Henderson’s uncontested fumble ruined the 9’er game and his chance to shine. Akers has coughed up the ball a few times in camp and that hasn’t been ignored by the coaches. How many times have we heard McVay preach about turnovers being a significant indicator of wins and losses?

Trust is the #1 factor in evaluating the RB corps. The most significant reps will go to the players McVay trusts to execute their assignments and secure the football. This alone makes Malcolm Brown the Ram’s lead back and everyone else jockeying for position after him.
This is exactly what we have seen in the past with McVay and we will see this again this year.