Shutdown Corner's Overrated and Underrated: NFL coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fisher inherited a decent QB, solid MLB and a paiir of good DE's. Thats it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I feel like every situation is new and we need to judge him on what he does with the Rams. After this year and likely next, if he can't at least get them to the playoffs, them can him. If he goes on to coach this team to the next 5 Super Bowls, will his Tennessee tenure stl be relevant? I'm guessing not.
I KNOW Fisher didn't have the kind of backing he needed to sustain excellence in Tenn, it's just rare a good coach can overcome a bad org, he did in Tenn for a time . I'm fine with him and think he's got the help and control he needs,BTW I think Mike Tomlin is underated.

So I'm guessing I'm the only one who would take what's left from our 2-14 team over what was left for Pete Carroll after 3 years that he turned into a playoff team?

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Fisher really earned his nickname - "Coacho Ocho" by having so many 8-8 seasons. In his 19 years, he's had 9 years that were within 1 game of 8-8, including 2 such seasons with the Rams.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/FishJe0.htm

Worth note, 17 of those years he had cheapskate owner Bud Adams to contend with.
Bud-Adams.jpg

But Fisher is still 156-137 overall as a head coach. That doesn't happen by accident. Spagnuolo and Linehan were overrated in that someone actually thought they were even remotely qualified. The Rams combined record in seasons with them as head coach were 23-73. That wasn't an accident either.

By contrast, Fisher has:
  • In his first year took a 2-14 team and turned them into a 7-9-1 team.
  • In his second year kept his team competitive at 7-9 despite playing 9+ games with a sub-par backup QB playing in a division with the Super Bowl champions, the NFC runner up, where the Rams division opponents had a combined record of 36-13
Fisher overrated?? Please.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IMO Fisher/Snead get 5 years to make the playoffs. 2 down...3 to go.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
All I know is that Fisher has taken this team from being one of the LEAST talented and a laughing stock, to being known as an "up & comer" that is filling with talent. I don't need to be winning the SB every yr. I'm happy that going into yr 3, we are at least RELEVANT! I'm good with giving he and Snead time to build it up.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I was thinking to myself last night as I watched the Spurs knockout the Miami Heat. One team did it by BUILDING their roster and sticking to a philosophy. The other ... much like NFL teams Dallas, Philly, Wash ..... tried doing it by BUYING their way. Well the long term viability of San Antonio has lasted for 15+ yrs. .... the others ... they get "instant gratification" ... .then fade away.

Fisher/Snead/Demoff are more like the SA model.... and I am fine with that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
So I'm guessing I'm the only one who would take what's left from our 2-14 team over what was left for Pete Carroll after 3 years that he turned into a playoff team?
Pretty much, yeah.
Carroll has done a great job there(in Seattle) but this Rams organization hadn't drafted with any success in a decade.

Memphis Ram

Legend
7 losing seasons out of 18.
4 of those losing teams were one win shy of .500 (7 wins).
2 of those losing seasons came after the Titans blew up their roster because of cap issues.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Actually, it's more than that. Much more if you don't limit it to people still here.

There are coaches who inherited a LOT less.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

nobody in the history of the nfl inherited a team that had gone 15-65 the previous 5 seasons.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

nobody in the history of the nfl inherited a team that had gone 15-65 the previous 5 seasons.

And a roster that KNEW they'd been playing for a substandard org. and coach , an org. where no true prime FA wanted to come to so they'd overpaid second tier people .I tire of efforts to minimize Fisher in defense of a futile past, but I guess a rebuild always has the remnants of resistance to give the effort it's due.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Fisher will be known as the man who coached the rams. The TT times will be a footnote.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Fisher will be known as the man who coached the rams. The TT times will be a footnote.
That WILL require a SB win or two cuz I don't see him sticking around as long here as he did there,don't get me wrong ,I'm certain he can do it, ESPECIALLY BK he went for the BPA in Donald when there were offensive toys to be had.
We have enough offense to win a SB ,a smothering defense was what we needed and now we can have one.

We're on our way

It's funny how perceptions of players change depending on the situation,

What do you mean Robert Quinn didn't win the DPOY? It's just because he's a Ram if he played for any other team there would be no doubt :mad:

You mean I have to give the former regime credit for drafting him? Meh he's "good" I'm not sure I'd go further than that.

Which is what I was asking for, at the moment I'm fine with Fisher, if we don't progress into a winning team though I'm not sure he'd be the right guy.

Pretty much, yeah.
Carroll has done a great job there(in Seattle) but this Rams organization hadn't drafted with any success in a decade.

You'd really take:

Max Unger
Red Bryant
LeRoy Hill
Brandon Mebane
Jon Ryan
Deon Butler
Ben Obomanu
Marcus Trufant

Over:

Robert Quinn
Sam Bradford
Rodger Saffold
Chris Long
James Laurinaitis
Lance Kendricks
Austin Petis

Any reason? I'd take a DPOY and starting QB over an All Pro centre.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
It's funny how perceptions of players change depending on the situation,

What do you mean Robert Quinn didn't win the DPOY? It's just because he's a Ram if he played for any other team there would be no doubt :mad:

You mean I have to give the former regime credit for drafting him? Meh he's "good" I'm not sure I'd go further than that.

Which is what I was asking for, at the moment I'm fine with Fisher, if we don't progress into a winning team though I'm not sure he'd be the right guy.

You'd really take:

Max Unger
Red Bryant
LeRoy Hill
Brandon Mebane
Jon Ryan
Deon Butler
Ben Obomanu
Marcus Trufant

Over:

Robert Quinn
Sam Bradford
Rodger Saffold
Chris Long
James Laurinaitis
Lance Kendricks
Austin Petis

Any reason? I'd take a DPOY and starting QB over an All Pro centre.

Add in the 12th man cuz IMO without their HF advantage I'm pretty sure the Hawks don't win a lot of games and with that HF advantage I think the Rams would have won more so take two off each of Carrols first two years and add at least that many to Fishers for that alone, hell the refs gave them the gawd damned Green Bay game because they wanted to get out of there.
When Fisher got him ,yes Quinn was just a raw athlete and Saffold was a decent tackle instead of a potential pro bowl guard and THAT is accepting your list without questioning any of nor considering the effect trading away firsts to win now (Harvin) instead of banking them to build a future like Fisher and Snead have done.
So again different methods and conditions will make you look better today ,but maybe not so pretty good tomorrow, we're looking to build a dynasty here not just win for a short window.
All that said WHO here would be surprised if Petey boy didn't tade away another first in order to try for another ring then run his lil bitch ass back to college and leave someone else with a mess to clean up, ain't never dun that before ,or has he?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Art Rooney II said on NFL total Access yesterday that the Late Bud Grant Lost in his 1st 3 seasons with the Steelers, then Won 4 Super Bowls! I really believe Fisher is building a Team that's capable of doing the same thing! I like what Fisher's doing! Oh! and while I'm remembering the past, Pete Carroll's 1st 2 seasons with the sea-chickens, he went 7-9 and 7-9 then, what, 13-3? Give Fisher a break he deserves it! GO RAMS(y)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Art Rooney II said on NFL total Access yesterday that the Late Bud Grant Lost in his 1st 3 seasons with the Steelers, then Won 4 Super Bowls! I really believe Fisher is building a Team that's capable of doing the same thing! I like what Fisher's doing! Oh! and while I'm remembering the past, Pete Carroll's 1st 2 seasons with the sea-chickens, he went 7-9 and 7-9 then, what, 13-3? Give Fisher a break he deserves it! GO RAMS(y)

The only Bud Grant I know of is the ex-Vikings coach who is 87 and just had a big garage sale. I think you're referring to Chuck Noll.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Then, I'm looking forward to this season!